Page 24 of 173 FirstFirst ... 1416171819202122232425262728293031323474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Defence Force - Thread

"Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

We never had an Ireland issue to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by G-AWZT View Post
    Hungry Jack.

Can anyone tell what year the Australian Army phased out the M1 pots?
    I don't know the exact year for whole army phased it out.

I wore a M1 helmet in recruit and Inf training in 1991 all my training staff wore kevlar and when posted to 3RAR in that year wore Kevlar helmet.

I was told at 3RAR that they preferred the Israeli helmet at the time as they tested all the different helmets and body armour but the Israelis gave them body armour that was stuffed with newspaper.So the Israelis lost out.

Milo Drinker of Death

How about Aussie Reserves? Do they still have any steel pots floating around?

Or is everyone all Kevlar'd up?

nah, I havent seen a steel lid in years mate. I found some hiding in the back of a Q store, but not on issue

I reckon you could reasonably expect the whole ADF to have Kevlar now. maybe not all the newest types, but steel lids have been out for a while.

I'm Australian which means to reach adulthood I've survived horrors you couldn't imagine.

No, reserves are still steel potting it. The only time they get Kevlar is if they borrow it from one of the battalions (wife is posted to a chock CSSB in an ARA position).

Quote Originally Posted by digrar View Post
    I didn't really get your question, were you after the higher percentage in age range, or unit, or corps or something else?
    The highest percentage of applicants to pass Selection is what I queried.

Not counting Irish pubs.

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

Quote Originally Posted by Warrigal View Post
    The highest percentage of applicants to pass Selection is what I queried.
    Can't say I've ever seen a break down of success rates. However even after the Black Hawk crash when they had to replace the best part of a whole troop, the success rate was pretty low.

would say there has been enough lessons learnt briefs to give you a head start if you ever did

I was thinking the under cover issue and having to protect identities.

given the islamic population in Aus and the ease of internet int gathering would say all sf pics should be made anon even candidates as some of them will make it through to be operators

I think the way they cut the doco and all the pics that were released of the selection were of candidates who didn't make the cut.

I think the way they cut the doco and all the pics that were released of the selection were of candidates who didn't make the cut.
    You are correct

but still.....

They could give everyone ninja masks. Cuts out the drama when you can't see the lower lip wobble though.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    I have no idea what the different policies are between Aussie SF and UK SF in regards to public relations and such, but I would hazard a guess that the photos distributed officially by or in partnership with their respective MOD would be done to go a SMALL way in satiating the public appetite for how their tax dollars are being spent on sexy SF stuff, to stay "front of mind" with the public/elected government when it comes to the perpetual battle for budget, to be one of the sexier marketing and advertising opportunities to recruit young folks into the Forces, to challenge existing pers in service to give Selection a crack, and to deter potential adversaries they will get it in the ear at O Dark Hundred from these guys if they start *****.

All done in a controlled environment directly or in partnership to get as much bang for the buck without giving up the crown jewels.
    Interesting explanation, I can see it could be to show you getting your moneys worth.