Page 46 of 194 FirstFirst ... 3638394041424344454647484950515253545696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Defence Force - Thread

"Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

I could go a SRV, I wonder if it will come with the gun ring.

Gods Country, Where women glow and men plunder.

Quote Originally Posted by digrar View Post
    I could go a SRV, I wonder if it will come with the gun ring.
    Is the SRV a rover?

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

Surveillance reconnaissance vehicle, we got them in 98, DFSW used them in Timor with the gun rings on the back and SASR have been using them as well.

The 6x6 version? When you said gun ring, I thought you meant the towing pintle so you could tow a gun

Cupola/gun ring, these are the 4x4 110's.

Like this one.

They've changed the roll over system to something a bit low profile, they looked like this when we had them.

Last Australian troops withdrawn from Iraq

• AAP
    • August 10, 2011 12:00AM

MORE than eight years after Australian special forces infiltrated the deserts of western Iraq at the start of what was to prove a brutal, bitter and divisive conflict, the very last diggers have withdrawn.

That occurred on August 6 with the departure of 17 Aussie troops responsible for providing security at the Australian embassy in Baghdad.
    The only reason this did not pass entirely without notice was that Defence Minister Stephen Smith mentioned it at a media conference called to outline proposed reforms to the defence organisation.
    "I do think it is an important point to make for the record," Mr Smith said.
    He said it was no secret that Labor had opposed Australian involvement in Iraq, campaigning on that issue in the 2007 election campaign and then overseeing withdrawal of the last Australian combat troops from the country's south in mid-2008.
    But he said it had been important for the Australian Defence Force (ADF) to continue providing security for Australian diplomats.

From 150 soldiers equipped with ASLAV armoured vehicles, the size of the force, known as SECDET (security detachment, has progressively been reduced in line with the improving security situation.
    The final group of 17 troops, equipped with armoured Land Cruisers, have now handed over to contracted civilian security guards and headed home.
    Mr Smith said that was essentially the norm for security of other embassies in Baghdad.
    "I have made it crystal clear on any number of occasions that I have seen our involvement and the international community's involvement in Iraq as a distraction from Afghanistan," he said.

More at http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...n+|+Defence%29

Gods Country, Where women glow and men plunder.

Cupola/gun ring, these are the 4x4 110's.

Like this one.

They've changed the roll over system to something a bit low profile, they looked like this when we had them.
    Gun buggies, my Adgie mate couldnt say enough good things about them. He always carries on about being up in the gun ring on them.

I'm Australian which means to reach adulthood I've survived horrors you couldn't imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    Gun buggies, my Adgie mate couldnt say enough good things about them. He always carries on about being up in the gun ring on them.
    Well, he's an ADGie. Not really much else going for him I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Slouch View Post
    Well, he's an ADGie. Not really much else going for him I guess.
    Anyone got their hands on the Benzes yet?
    Bit of a write up in the MOTOR mag today , seems the ADF bought the bonneted Actros in 4X4 and 6X6 to replace the Macks.

Looks like they'll all go to "industry" whether industry is auction houses taking them as job lots or not remains to be seen. The mogs would make handy exploration support trucks, I've seen them done up as off road tour buses as well.

Looks like they'll all go to "industry" whether industry is auction houses taking them as job lots or not remains to be seen. The mogs would make handy exploration support trucks, I've seen them done up as off road tour buses as well.
    Yeah saw a dual cab going up and down Sydney Rd up in Campbellfield today , that would make a wicked camper.

Default Defence to make buying errors personal

INDIVIDUALS in defence will be made personally responsible and disciplined for procurement stuff-ups under new reforms aimed at cutting waste and mismanagement in the $26 billion dollar sector.

........Outlining the need for change, Mr Smith told of his frustration at being unable to pinpoint the cause of problems within the defence department, saying accountability was muddied by the existence of over 100 defence committees.
    Only 100 committees...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226111820063

Default Austal will build the fleet of Cape Class Patrol Boats

......Austal will build the fleet of Cape Class Patrol Boats at its shipyard in Henderson, Western Australia. Construction of the first vessel is expected to commence in February 2012, with all eight due to be delivered between March 2013 and August 2015.

The In-Service Support contract extends for a minimum period of eight years and encompasses a full range of intermediate and depot level maintenance activities. Further options can be exercised by the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service for In-Service Support for the life of the Cape Class Patrol Boat Fleet.

The eight 57.8m Cape Class Patrol Boats will play a significant role in protecting Australia’s borders from multiple maritime threats, and have been designed to have greater range, endurance and flexibility, as well as enhanced capability to operate in more severe sea conditions than the current Customs’ fleet........
    More and pic - http://www.austal.com/en/media/media...-Contract.aspx