Thread: How Many US Carriers are in service now?

Default How Many US Carriers are in service now?

hey,folks,i am wondering that how many Carriers are being used by the US navy?

by what i have found so far,there are totally 10.they are CVN-63(Kitty Hawk),and from
    CVN-68 to CVN 77.

sometimes google or wiki gives the detailed info,so i have to ask u guys here.

Thanks for any reply!

11:

Cvn-65

cvn-68/-77

Bro Jangles has got an accurate list, but as a side note, have any of you ever considered that USN Amphibious Assault ships would be considered carriers if operated by any other nation? The eight ships of the Wasp class and the remaining two Tarawa class ships operate AV-8 Harrier fixed wing aircraft in addition to their helicopters. The coming America class LHA blurs the line between amphibious ships and aircraft carriers even more with its emphasis as an aviation platform. The F-35 program has certainly got its problems, but the F-35B STOVL version is going to bring an awful lot of capability to Navy amphibious ships.

Quote Originally Posted by HKDan View Post
    Bro Jangles has got an accurate list, but as a side note, have any of you ever considered that USN Amphibious Assault ships would be considered carriers if operated by any other nation? The eight ships of the Wasp class and the remaining two Tarawa class ships operate AV-8 Harrier fixed wing aircraft in addition to their helicopters. The coming America class LHA blurs the line between amphibious ships and aircraft carriers even more with its emphasis as an aviation platform. The F-35 program has certainly got its problems, but the F-35B STOVL version is going to bring an awful lot of capability to Navy amphibious ships.
    I remember this issue from the old "Naval Institute Guide to the Soviet Navy" where in the comparison of 1991 Soviet and American naval strength, USN Amphibious Assault Ships are referred to as "light carriers".

That would mean in all the US has a real aricraft carrier fleet of over twenty ships.

The soul that is within me no man can degrade bd popeye's Avatar

Let Big Daddy Popeye give you the straight scoop..

The USN has 11 active CVNs..(Nuclear Powered Aircraft Carriers) The USN no longer has in commission any conventional powered carriers.

USS Enterprise (CVN-65), Norfolk VA
    USS Nimitz (CVN 68), San Diego, CA
    USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69), Norfolk, VA
    USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70), Newport News, VA
    USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71), Norfolk, VA
    USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72), Everett, WA
    USS George Washington (CVN 73), Yokosuka, Japan
    USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74), Bremerton, WA
    USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75), Norfolk, VA
    USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), San Diego, CA
    USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77), Norfolk, VA

In addition the USN has 10 LHA/LHDs..ships most other navies in the World call aircraft carriers.

USS Nassau (LHA 4), Norfolk, VA
    USS Peleliu (LHA 5), San Diego, CA
    USS Wasp (LHD 1), Norfolk, VA
    USS Essex (LHD 2), Sasebo, Japan
    USS Kearsarge (LHD 3), Norfolk, VA
    USS Boxer (LHD 4), San Diego, CA
    USS Bataan (LHD 5), Norfolk, VA
    USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6), San Diego, CA
    USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7), Norfolk, VA
    USS Makin Island (LHD 8), San Diego, CA

Any information you need to know about the US Navy can be found at;

http://www.navy.mil/swf/index.asp

Big Daddy Popeye answering questions online since 1999 for the Navally Challenged!

but as a side note, have any of you ever considered that USN Amphibious Assault ships would be considered carriers if operated by any other nation?
    AA's don't have the logistical or combat projection abilities of a full sized carrier. A handful of helicopters and 8 harriers isn't much to shake a stick at nor can they run fixed wing CAP 24/7 without seriously taxing it's resources. You could kick out the Marines and use their ballast to supply a full 20 Harrier complement but that's still a fairly small projection force force. Once again, CAP would wear out the pilots pretty fast even with 20.

If I'm remembering right, during OIF, USS Bataan and another LHD were used just as you described as Harrier carriers, with a few squadrons deployed.

It might not be as effective as a Principe de Asturias, but pound for pound still packs a bigger punch than Brazil's carrier for example.

EDIT: found the article http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=6475

The soul that is within me no man can degrade bd popeye's Avatar

I posted;

In addition the USN has 10 LHA/LHDs..ships most other navies in the World call aircraft carriers.
    Never stated they were CVs...

If I'm remembering right, during OIF, USS Bataan and another LHD were used just as you described as Harrier carriers, with a few squadrons deployed.
    Correct...

I can state with 100% certainty that only one navy on this planet can do what these pictures demonstrate! The US Navy.

[IMG]http://i53.*******.com/351h7iwdotjpg[/IMG]
    [*******#0000ff]Download HiRes[/COLOR]

[IMG]http://i53.*******.com/118ew0gdotjpg[/IMG]
    [*******#0000ff]Download HiRes[/COLOR]

North Arabian Gulf (Apr. 20, 2003) – Bottom pic.. The amphibious assault ship USS Boxer (LHD 4) moves into position as the amphibious assault ships of Commander, Task Force Fifty One (CTF-51) come together in an unprecedented formation during operations in the North Arabian Gulf. This marked the first time that six large deck amphibious ships from the East and West coasts have deployed together in one area of operation. Led by the flag ship USS Tarawa (LHA 1), the ships in the second row from bottom to top are USS Saipan (LHA 2) and USS Kearsarge (LHD 3); and the third row of ships are USS Boxer (LHD 4), USS Bataan (LHD 5) and USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6). CTF-51 led Navy amphibious forces in the Arabian Gulf region during Operation Iraqi Freedom. The 32 ships of CTF-51 composed the largest amphibious force assembled since the Inchon landing, during the Korean War. Operation Iraqi Freedom is the multinational coalition effort to liberate the Iraqi people, eliminate Iraq's weapons of mass destruction and end the regime of Saddam Hussein. U.S. Navy photo by Chief Photographer's Mate Tom Daily. (RELEASED)

Banned user

It is safe to say that the US has 11 "Supercarriers" a class no other country has meet, and which sways most americans concept on the CV, and 10 LHA/LHD's. Personally i always thought of the Amphibs as not carriers, but Amphibious support, but i guess technically the are "Aircraft Carriers".