Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What were the weapons that won WWII?

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
    Not quite, the Soviets caused 80% of German casualties. Not Soviet artillary, although it did play its part for sure.
    80% of 80% makes 64%

iirc the weapon that won ww2 was a pole with a flag on one end...

oops there you go..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soviet_Flag_over_the_Reichstag_by_SuperMaoriFulla.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	143437

On Finnish part, Finnish Sisu.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
    Not quite, the Soviets caused 80% of German casualties. Not Soviet artillary, although it did play its part for sure.
    No, just exactly what I said, of all casualties sustained by german infantry in the SU, 80% were caused by heavy artillery shelling, it was really horrible, and there was not many ways to stop the barrage, all you could do is to dug yourself deeper and hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ReacherMP View Post
    No, just exactly what I said, of all casualties sustained by german infantry in the SU, 80% were caused by heavy artillery shelling, it was really horrible, and there was not many ways to stop the barrage, all you could do is to dug yourself deeper and hope.
    Again, I'm pretty sure that is factually wrong. The Germans sustained 80% to 75% of their casualties on the eastern front.

Okay, I will try to persuage you again, in the past I was pretty involved in the ww2 matters, read some books about those events, I was especially interested in german soldier's memoirs, for example, one soldier wrote that the heaviest losses they took during the soviet artillery barrage, there is also a book by some Israeli researcher, he states, that the most german casualties were consequences of Soviet heavy arillery shelling. If you need more proofs, you need to find some really good expert who will tell you the same, except he will give you more sources.

To make sure we are on the same side, I do not deny that of all German casualties, in all threatres, 80% they took while fighting in the SU against the Soviet troops. I am saying that of all German casualties sustained in the SU (excluding other places), 80% were killed or heavily wounded during the artillery barrage.

Eating eggs & hash browns. Nahal %^&*@strong 111.

Is this the Eisenhower quote you're looking for? It's attributed to him, but I can't find an actual source that says where or when, or even to whom he said it.
    “Four things won the Second World War—the bazooka, the Jeep, the atom bomb, and the C–47 Gooney Bird.”
    Patton said: "In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised."

Obviously Ike got it wrong on the bazooka. Also the trucks would have been Chevrolet and Studebaker.

As I said a few posts above, the only thing that was really decisive in war was code breaking.
    Normally, new tactics and weapons in a long war give you a temporary advantage, but code breaking was a lasting allied advantage that was never compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by ReacherMP View Post
    Okay, I will try to persuage you again, in the past I was pretty involved in the ww2 matters, read some books about those events, I was especially interested in german soldier's memoirs, for example, one soldier wrote that the heaviest losses they took during the soviet artillery barrage, there is also a book by some Israeli researcher, he states, that the most german casualties were consequences of Soviet heavy arillery shelling. If you need more proofs, you need to find some really good expert who will tell you the same, except he will give you more sources.
    What? 80% of the German losses was on the eastern front. Its ridiculous to state, and even impossible, that all of their casualties was due to artillery.

What wonders me most it's when people say A-bomb was a winner weapons.
    By the time when the Little Boy and the Fat man were operational and ready to be dropped, Japan's fate was already sealed. The Japanese were on strategic retreat since the 1944, their war was lost, and they knew it, if there were no A bombs, the U.S. Air Force would have just bombed and napalmed Japan to the stone age, and then started a full scale invasion, that's all. A-bombs just speeded the Japan's agony and saved a lot of allied and japanese lives.

Quote Originally Posted by zxc View Post
    What? 80% of the German losses was on the eastern front. Its ridiculous to state, and even impossible, that all of their casualties was due to artillery.
    German infantry rifleman was usually well trained, well experienced, and well equipped enemy, even more, Germans were masters of defensive, their field fortifications were considered among the best, in this way, you can't "get" a well dugged and prepared german rifleman with your bolt-action rifle, or even with submachine guns, they are well hidden and protected. The only way to cause substantial damage was through the coordinated artillery shelling. Everything is quite feasible.

Most casualties could be 50.0000001% of casualties and yet I would even doubt that figure, if were going to get in to it I would need some kind of source. I have a very hard time beleiving that of all the ways to to die that artillery caused in total 80% of the casualties on the Eastern front. Of all the ways to die to dehydration, freezing weather, starvation, disease, infection, friendly fire, suicide, fires, suffocation, drowning, execution, veichle crashes, aircraft accidents, rifles, snipers, machine guns, smgs, tanks, anti tank guns, mines, aircraft combat, grenades, strafing & bombing, stabbings, blunt trauma and the mass prisoner marches to the gulags etc. There is no way that Soviet artillary dished out that much with all other things considered.

I am in no way saying Soviet artillery was poor, it had some of the most flexible command structures and masses of guns and rocket artillary compared to anyone else during the war.

Mass production.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaplanr View Post
    Is this the Eisenhower quote you're looking for? It's attributed to him, but I can't find an actual source that says where or when, or even to whom he said it.

Patton said: "In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised."

Obviously Ike got it wrong on the bazooka. Also the trucks would have been Chevrolet and Studebaker.
    Maybe that's what I'm thinking of, and just combined his list with Patton's quote. Thanks, I appreciate the help. Seems like most of the guys here just read the title and not my post. I realize success could be attributed to a lot of things, but like I said, I thought I'd heard of a list that one of the generals had come up with and was looking for that specifically. Thanks again.

Diesel and the field kitchen

Banned user

Guys called Ivan and guys called John.