Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 49 Taliban fighters Dead in Battle That 6 US Soldiers Where Killed

WTF am I doing with my life? Token White Guy's Avatar

Default 49 Taliban fighters Dead in Battle Where 6 US Soldiers Were Killed

[LEFT][*******#000000]US and Afghan forces have wrapped up a week-long operation in the eastern Pech River Valley in Kunar province. During the operation, which the top US commander in the east claimed dealt "a huge blow to the enemy," 49 Taliban fighters and six US soldiers were killed.

Operation Bulldog Bite was launched on Nov. 12, and targeted Taliban havens in the villages of the Watapur Valley, which lies in the eastern region of the Pech River Valley. The region has served as a transit area for Taliban and al Qaeda fighters infiltrating from Pakistan, and is just five miles from the Korengal Valley, an area where US forces shut down combat outposts last winter. Last year, US commanders claimed that the Korengal was strategically insignificant due to its remote location, but since that time, the Taliban and al Qaeda have used the region to launch attacks into neighboring Afghan provinces.

In the recent operation, a battalion of US soldiers, backed by an unspecified number of Afghan troops, conducted numerous air assaults into the area as part of "their continued pursuit of militant fighters in the Kunar province," the US military stated in a press release on Nov. 13.

The first US soldier was killed during combat on Nov. 12. Two days later, US troops encountered heavy resistance, when five soldiers from Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division were killed during a six-hour-long firefight in the Watapur area. The bulk of the 49 Taliban deaths reportedly occurred in that clash.

US Army officials who wished to remain anonymous due to the sensitivity of the information told The Long War Journal that the platoon from Alpha Company, 1/327 also took significant numbers of wounded, and that the eight soldiers who were not wounded were divided up among other platoons in the company.

"The soldiers involved who were not hurt are still assigned to their units," Mary Constantino, the Public Affairs Officer for the brigade told The Long War Journal. "All of the units involved with Bulldog Bite are back at their bases refitting and resting in preparation for future operations. We grieve each death and mourn with their families. Each loss, whether from our force or the Afghan National Security Forces, is tragic. We mourn each one but our resolve remains firm. We will honor their sacrifice by ensuring the mission we are here to do is done to the best of our ability."
    During the operation, US and Afghan troops found a number of weapons caches "containing several mortar systems with rounds, 15 recoilless rifle rounds, more than a dozen rocket-propelled grenades, 20 anti-aircraft rounds, four fragmentary grenades, 400 rounds of AK-47 ammunition, 1,200 PKM rounds and improvised explosive components."

Major General John Campbell, the commanding general for the 101st Aiborne Division and the commander of Regional Command East, said that Operation Bulldog Bite had put the Taliban in the area back on its heels.

"There's been significant disruption to that network in that area," Campbell told The Leaf Chronicle. "This is a huge blow to the enemy .... The enemy didn't think we'd go back in there."
    Major Pat Seiber, the Public Affairs Director for Regional Command East, said the operations have eased the pressure of Taliban attacks on bases in the region.
    "[Taliban] attacks have reduced against Coalition and ANSF bases and around populated areas during the recent "Bulldog Bite" operations, which disrupted an attempt by insurgent forces to re-consolidate near Shuryak," Seiber said.

Bulldog Bite follows several operations in the western Pech River Valley which began in mid-October. On Oct. 15, a joint Afghan and ISAF force launched an operation in the area. On Oct. 16, Afghan commanders and US Special Operation Forces killed 13 Taliban fighters while clearing "known insurgent strongholds in Tsam, Chenar Now and Matanga villages." On Oct. 17, US troops killed Gul Nabi, who was described as "a mid-level Taliban commander" and "an al Qaeda associate." And on Oct. 31, US forces conducted additional air assaults against the Taliban in the region.

Read more: http://www.longwarjournal.org/archiv...#ixzz15gKMBuIB[/COLOR][/LEFT]
    [LEFT][*******#000000]

RIP Warriors.
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    Last edited by Token White Guy; 11-18-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: I must be drunk. My Title Was Awful

Banned user

was that the battles official name? or was it just a firefight?

Banned user

Any information about the number of injured soldiers ?
    RIP

Establishing dominance one handshake at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by enemy crab View Post
    was that the battles official name? or was it just a firefight?
    Operation Bulldog Bite like mentioned in the article was a week long op, with several firefights along that time.

RIP to the fallen.

Good work to everyone else.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by USMC29 View Post
    Operation Bulldog Bite like mentioned in the article was a week long op, with several firefights along that time.
    cant seem to find an article on it on wikipedia, Oh well, hope to see one soon though

Banned user

In my eyes this is a (pyrrhic) Taliban victory . They can afford the loss of life because they don't wear dogtags , they don't have an identity . They are waging a "jihad" so they are happy to get "martyred". We can't stand the drip drip of casualties .

My father's WWII unit, the 87th Infantry Division JUNKHO's Avatar

^^ In my eyes, everything you posted is wrong. They have not won any victories and never will. Whether they wear "dogtags" or not is immaterial to whether or not they have an identity. How do you know they are happy to get martyred? All they are getting is dead! Good riddance!
    I cannot stand one reported casualty among the allied forces, but we have been and are committed to the fight, and unfortunately there will be casualties. But none of them is a "drip drip"!

With no reservation, why don't you bugger off!

RIP to our fallen.

Rot in hell Taliban.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by JUNKHO View Post
    ^^ In my eyes, everything you posted is wrong. They have not won any victories and never will. Whether they wear "dogtags" or not is immaterial to whether or not they have an identity. How do you know they are happy to get martyred? All they are getting is dead! Good riddance!
    I cannot stand one reported casualty among the allied forces, but we have been and are committed to the fight, and unfortunately there will be casualties. But none of them is a "drip drip"!

With no reservation, why don't you bugger off!
    So we've cleared a certain area , but in a week or two the Taliban will be back and the process will start all over again ( surly you cannot deny this).The Talibs are happy(read:very willing) to get martyred because they have nothing to lose .You cannot beat such an enemy.But hey be my guest and keep living in your sky news fairyland.

@junkho

if you actually believe what you wrote, then i think i know why you guys will never win a military victory in afghanistan

Banned user

I have to say that you are right on there not being a drip drip of casualties (it's more like a steady river of casualties) .

Im with JUNKHO on this. The Talibs wanted to inflict major casualties on the allied force, they managed to kill a few US troopers and Afghan soldiers but got their asses handed to them as usual. Mullah Omar has stated that the Taliban is now focusing on attrition warfare... well I think he will find out how that goes the hard way.

The US suffers some KIAs in a major combat operation and we have people coming out of the woodwork posting crap.

My father's WWII unit, the 87th Infantry Division JUNKHO's Avatar

@ BM - I'm not verbally, nor editorially, adept enough to engage you in repartee on this issue.

I do believe what I wrote, that is why I wrote it. I assume that you believe you know why us guys will never win a military victory in A'stan otherwise you would not have written it.

I say the jury is still out and I am not clairvoyant enough to know what will happen. It could be a matter of the VN era --

US = "we never lost a battle"
    VN = "that may be so, but it is also irrelevant"

The T'ban have not won a victory. Their culture may allow them to view death differently from me, but dead is still dead. And it is NOT about the body count.

Kill ALL the martyrs they send and soon they will stop sending.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by socom6 View Post
    Im with JUNKHO on this. The Talibs wanted to inflict major casualties on the allied force, they managed to kill a few US troopers and Afghan soldiers but got their asses handed to them as usual. Mullah Omar has stated that the Taliban is now focusing on attrition warfare... well I think he will find out how that goes the hard way.

The US suffers some KIAs in a major combat operation and we have people coming out of the woodwork posting crap.
    It's hard for me to believe 49 talibs got killed , they usually operate in smaller groups.And for your information the talibs have inflicted major casualties on allied forces (650 to be precise).