Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russian soldiers freezing in new uniform

Banned user

Default Russian soldiers freezing in new uniform

[LEFT][*******#000000]Russia's chic new uniform sends soldiers to hospital

2010/12/15

MOSCOW:, Russia’s sharp new military uniforms, created by a top fashion designer, have landed hundreds in hospital after proving too thin to withstand ferocious winter cold, a state daily said Wednesday.

Rossiyskaya Gazeta reported that between 60 and 250 servicemen have been laid up with everything from flu to pneumonia as Arctic chills sweep through the country’s northern reaches.

“They literally felt ***** outside,” the paper quoted the mother of one solider as saying. “Many of them ended up in hospital. Ours developed pneumonia,” she said of her son.

The government daily said defence officials have admitted not receiving complaints about the uniforms in time to do anything ahead of the winter season.

“It seems that all this happened because of slovenliness on our part,” Joint Staff General Nikolai Makarov told the daily.

Introduced in 2008, the parade uniforms designed by fashion celebrity Valentin Yudashkin are threaded with gold and more shapely and chic, in a throwback to the uniforms of the imperial Tsarist army.

The field versions, meanwhile, are lighter and come with thinner but more mobile boots.

Russia designed its first post-Soviet uniform in the 1990s, but it was unpopular with officers who complained that it made them look like they were serving in a Third World army. -- AFP

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

This article:
    http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/R...pital/Article/

Pics of new uniform:
    http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...-russian-army/

You would assume out of all countries that Russia would place the greatest emphasis on ensuring their troops stayed warm.

Wasn't there any testing prior to its introduction?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by WDECT View Post
    Wasn't there any testing prior to its introduction?
    Don't know. Maybe the chick designer tested it in summer at st. Petersburg?

have landed hundreds in hospital
    Thats grim, speedy recovery. Sometimes idiocy knows no borders, one would have thought national procurement agencies would test those uniforms. Thanks to their "slovenliness" millions went down the drain...

Russia, Siberian Wastelands (previously known as Mordor)

MoD commission already determined the cause of this, and it was officers negligence. Incident have nothing to do with uniform.

Sheep dog standing before wolves The Dane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMartin2 View Post
    MoD commission already determined the cause of this, and it was officers negligence. Incident have nothing to do with uniform.
    In what way ??

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMartin2 View Post
    i don't trust this comission. given our current state of affairs, they most probably cover some **** up on MoD side.

Quote Originally Posted by Danskeren View Post
    In what way ??
    I dunno, how could hundreds suffer in that new uniform due to negligence of one officer? Maybe an officer form the procurement agency is meant?

Quote Originally Posted by Herman the German View Post
    I dunno, how could hundreds suffer in that new uniform due to negligence of one officer? Maybe an officer form the procurement agency is meant?
    Hundreds sick in the scale of Russia? Finnish army probably has hundreds sick with the mentioned diseases at the moment. Pretty serious flu wave in Northern Europe.

I'm not convinced the uniforms and the flu are connected. There is nothing wrong with the Finnish kit, and plenty of cases of severe flu, including some swine flu.

Russia, Siberian Wastelands (previously known as Mordor)

About uniform: all new conscripts received new uniform this autumn. Since there are only one such incident, I suppose its obvious that uniform is not the problem.

About negligence: from one article I read that many conscripts started to had ARI, since temperature dropped considerably in that region (approx hundred km from my location, btw) and there were bad conditions in barracks. Soon situation was out of control, and ARI transformed into more serious pneumonia/flu/etc. Officers failed to organize adequate medical help for conscripts in time.

Not only them, when I did my service in Sweden back in 86-87 we had -37 celsius and froze our asses of in the M-59 uniform until we took out the old M-39 uniforms. Ugly as hell but very comfy in winter.

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

Even during my period of service in the Irish Army we soon found that in the winter
    it was better to use out initiative and wear t-shirts / pajamas / track suit pants* under the combats and parade uniforms to keep warm, most of the problem being caused by wind-chill.

There were a so-called "Long John" winter underwear and vest combo issued, but it caused many just to want to scratch.

Civilian boot socks were also procured as the army issue grey woolen ones were not up to the job.

A few married guys used to wear their wives tights under the combat pants to keep warm

Suspended for infractions

Quote Originally Posted by Connaught Ranger View Post
    A few married guys used to wear their wives tights under the combat pants to keep warm
    come on man, tell us the truth. Is this your excuse for wearing your wifes undies?

Quote Originally Posted by sepheronx View Post
    come on man, tell us the truth. Is this your excuse for wearing your wifes undies?
    An old trick that also protects you from Leeches in Panama while at JOTC, and IIRC Football players like Namath wore them.

Suspended for infractions

Quote Originally Posted by Linedoggie View Post
    An old trick that also protects you from Leeches in Panama while at JOTC, and IIRC Football players like Namath wore them.
    Yeah?

hmmm....

Edit: Nope, not an idea in mind at all.