Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: M1A3 prototype?

Default M1A3 prototype?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lqW94Gmug8

I find this on TankNet. Look at ~1:35

It seems that this is an M1A3 prototype or new turret prototype on the older hull configuration test bed.

Seems interesting, I can find some similarities between this turret and CATTB turret, seems to be very heavy armored + the new longer gun, rumored M256A1?

One more thing, seems that vehicle have new suspension, it is me or it looks symetric not asymetric like older torsion bar suspension?

It might be for a movie set, like the Abrams used in the first Transformers movie. Is the M256A1 a supposed to be a licensed production of the L55?

It might be for a movie set, like the Abrams used in the first Transformers movie.
    Nope, they would not change turret for a new type, and this is definetly something new.

Is the M256A1 a supposed to be a licensed production of the L55?
    Rather a lenghtened M256/L44, You know M256 is not a direct license copy of German RH-M-120/L44, there are many changes in the gun design.

I looked at the turret several times, it seems that it have a two man crew, the TC cupola behind gunner primary sight is not visible, but something that looks like cupola is placed on the other side of a turret... so this means mechanical loading system in turret bustle?

Wow looks quite impressive! Is that an ERA tiles on the front of the turret or some kind of active protection system?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No, this is typical for US prototypes, before the whole armor package is ready to be instal, they weld in front of a turret or other places some steel plates to simulate additional weight of the whole armor package. But still it can be not fully completed, I saw several prototypes of M1 tanks variants and the number of plates changed as they increased armor protection.
    Last edited by Damian90; 01-14-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian90 View Post

Rather a lenghtened M256/L44, You know M256 is not a direct license copy of German RH-M-120/L44, there are many changes in the gun design.
    bustle?
    What were the changes done to the L44? I'm not an Army tanker; I thought that the M256 was just the American designation of the gun. Also, would you happen to know why the US Army didn't upgrade its M1A2 tanks with the longer L55?

What were the changes done to the L44? I'm not an Army tanker; I thought that the M256 was just the American designation of the gun.
    Different bore evacuator, different thermal sleve, some changes with breach assembly and spring based reciol not hydraulic recoil system. Also gun tube and gun breach life was increased in comparission to early produced german guns, now the service life time is same in both german gun and it's foreign derivatives.

Also, would you happen to know why the US Army didn't upgrade its M1A2 tanks with the longer L55?
    With introduction of M829A2 and M829A3 APFSDS ammo it was not nececary, but they currently work on AKE - Advanced Kinetic Enery round, some rumors say that desination is M829E4 and after standarisation it will be chaned to M829A4.

looks like leo tank

I don't see nothing common to Leopard 2, I see something common to other prototype:

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Quick thought, the gun actually can be XM360A1, there is no bore evacuator on the barrel, so definetly this thing is a prototype.

XM360:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2006garm/tuesday/smith.pdf

XM360A1:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2010armamen...DavidSmith.pdf

Default L55 gun

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    What were the changes done to the L44? I'm not an Army tanker; I thought that the M256 was just the American designation of the gun. Also, would you happen to know why the US Army didn't upgrade its M1A2 tanks with the longer L55?
    I think the Germans were unwilling to use DU ammunition and were compelled to take a different approach to uprating the gun's performance. They fiddled around with a 140mm as well before deciding that the L/55 did it for them.

M256/L44 using M829A2 and M829A3 DU alloy APFSDS penetrator ammo have similiar or in some cases better performance than RH-M-120/L55 gun using DM-53/63 WHA alloy APFSDS penetrator ammo.

Especially against Kontakt-5 heavy dynamic protection US solution is better.

Purveyor of intelligent reading material Lt-Col A. Tack's Avatar

Interesting. Thank you for posting.

I downloaded video and made some screenshots so people can get a better static look on that beast.

Nice shots... nice tank!