Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ex-SEAL Marcus Luttrell's 'Lone Survivor' inaccurate

Default Ex-SEAL Marcus Luttrell's 'Lone Survivor' inaccurate

In the new issue of Marine Corps Gazette, Ed Darack takes apart Marcus Luttrell's Lone Survivor, which purported to be a history of a botched operation in Afghanistan in June 2005. Darack, himself the author of Victory Point, a book about the same operation, does a good job of explaining why he thinks the Luttrell book, which was a bestseller, was off base.
    http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts...ivor_smackdown

He and the SEAL team still did amazing things, that remains unchanged. Interesting to see how this pans out.

for those with paid MCA accounts, full article is page 62 of Marine Corps Gazette January 2011

http://www.marinecorpsgazette-digita...tte/201101#pg1

Pretty sure you don't get effed up like they did if it was only ten fighters. Also I've heard Luttrell speak, shaken his hand and got my copy of the book sign. He's a good man, this guy I know nothing about.

Senior Member Breakfast in Vegas's Avatar

Interesting... haven't read either book, suppose "the truth" is somewhere in between the 2 accounts.

I am sorry guys...but with all due respect but this Marine seems to be trying to hog his 15 mins of limelight.

First of all it was not Operation RED WINGS. It was Operation RED WING.
    The source is United States Navy. Please read this summary of action from Michael Murphy's Medal of Honor website. That pretty much debunks what he is saying.

http://www.navy.mil/moh/mpmurphy/soa.html

This is was Navy has say about the question

Q. Does the Navy consider the book "Lone Survivor" to be an accurate accounting of Operation Redwing?
    http://www.navy.mil/moh/mpmurphy/pr.html

Also, check this video out from 38.00
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/8386422

The dude in this video is Nathaniel 'Lalo' Roberti.He is a Navy SEAL from SEAL team 10. He was part of the QRF whose Helicopter got shot down and was on the ground searching for Marcus and other guys later on.
    HE WAS ON THE GROUND and he pretty much debunks the whole Victory Point synopsis.

Also , if you are interested in knowing the details of what happened on Operation Red Wing on the otherside of Michael Murphy's phone call in detail check this out. What transpired before the rescue was mounted.How the rescue chopper got shot and who was in it.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4480011 (Watch it from 16:50)

Now, make up your mind !!!
    Last edited by ACDC; 01-17-2011 at 01:42 PM.

All I know is that a SEAL recon team got compromised and fought for their lives against a numerically superior enemy force, where only 1 of them made it out alive with the help of afghan villagers. I also know that more special operations soldiers got killed trying to rescue them in a horrible helicopter shootdown. All of this is straight facts and there is no debate. The only person who knows the truth about everything is MARCUS LUTTRELL, not Ed Darack, not the people on this forum, not even the Dept. of the Navy.

Mr. Luttrell has to be the one to carry the burden of seeing his fellow teammates killed and him nearly losing his life in a horrible way deep in enemy territory. He also has to be the one to stand behind his book and if his claims are false, it is another burden that he has to carry as well. I'm not going to question his integrity and I really don't care about the numbers of the enemy being over exaggerated and all of that. All I know is that he survived something that NONE of us would want to happen to us, simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by bugkill View Post
    All I know is that a SEAL recon team got compromised and fought for their lives against a numerically superior enemy force, where only 1 of them made it out alive with the help of afghan villagers. I also know that more special operations soldiers got killed trying to rescue them in a horrible helicopter shootdown. All of this is straight facts and there is no debate. The only person who knows the truth about everything is MARCUS LUTTRELL, not Ed Darack, not the people on this forum, not even the Dept. of the Navy.

Mr. Luttrell has to be the one to carry the burden of seeing his fellow teammates killed and him nearly losing his life in a horrible way deep in enemy territory. He also has to be the one to stand behind his book and if his claims are false, it is another burden that he has to carry as well. I'm not going to question his integrity and I really don't care about the numbers of the enemy being over exaggerated and all of that. All I know is that he survived something that NONE of us would want to happen to us, simple as that.
    Well Said... end of story

Marcus is a good man. That is all.

Senior Member Breakfast in Vegas's Avatar

Good post Bugkill.

One thing none of us know is what was to be ascertained from the video analysis etc and how much the USN or USMC actually know about the course of the battle, including the number of combatants.

Marcus may know what happened to him and his comrades, but also likely does not know the whole spectrum of the engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by ACDC View Post
    I am sorry guys...but with all due respect but this Marine seems to be trying to hog his 15 mins of limelight.

First of all it was not Operation RED WINGS. It was Operation RED WING.
    The source is United States Navy. Please read this summary of action from Michael Murphy's Medal of Honor website. That pretty much debunks what he is saying.

http://www.navy.mil/moh/mpmurphy/soa.html

This is was Navy has say about the question

Q. Does the Navy consider the book "Lone Survivor" to be an accurate accounting of Operation Redwing?
    http://www.navy.mil/moh/mpmurphy/pr.html

Also, check this video out from 38.00
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/8386422

The dude in this video is Nathaniel 'Lalo' Roberti.He is a Navy SEAL from SEAL team 10. He was part of the QRF whose Helicopter got shot down and was on the ground searching for Marcus and other guys later on.
    HE WAS ON THE GROUND and he pretty much debunks the whole Victory Point synopsis.

Also , if you are interested in knowing the details of what happened on Operation Red Wing on the otherside of Michael Murphy's phone call in detail check this out. What transpired before the rescue was mounted.How the rescue chopper got shot and who was in it.
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4480011

Now, make up your mind !!!

I remember seeing the footage that was released on the liveleak website like a day after the event and there was a whole heap more then 10 blokes parading around the bodies. I dunno to me it stinks of the old 'Chinese whispers'.... unless the marine was there then I am going to believe Marcus.
    Even if it was a little exaggerated who cares, the fact is what he went through would have sucked regardless of how many fighters there were.
    Last edited by Ausdude; 01-17-2011 at 02:33 AM.

Thank you sir for your well minded comment. We DO need more people who think like that. End of comment.

Stand and Salute
    bibite

Who to believe, the man who survived or some journo?

Hmmm

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

Well said, bugkill.

It's another Bravo Two Zero, doomed to be debated to death for the next ten years by Internet SOF fanboys...