Thread: Libyan Conflict - Photos and Videos

Quote Originally Posted by ATGM View Post
    these t-72 and others equipment and uniforms are from the egypt army.
    The uniforms are mostly either from Qatar, old stocks found in Benghazi (i.e: ex-Libyan soldiers' uniforms), or captured from regime troops. While some may be from Egypt, or at least transported through Egypt, the vast majority of the modern uniforms I've seen rebels wearing on the eastern front look like they have come from Qatar (which Qatar openly admits.)

As for the T-72, as z973 said Egypt never used the T-72. They switched allegiance to the U.S before the T-72 was widely fielded. Most of the T-72's that the rebels acquired in the East were abandonded by Gadaffi troops in or near Benghazi when the U.S, Britian, and France began conducting their initial air strikes. The rebels were able to find a few T-72's that had been abandoned by their crews and not destroyed by NATO, as well as a few that were knocked out but relatively easy to repair. The vast majority of rebel armor, however, are obsolete T-55's and BMP-1's that were found in eastern arms depots. Many of the tanks and APC's that are fighting now were in essentially derelict condition when the rebels found them.

Shown in this photo is the first time I have seen a piece of towed artillery in this whole conflict (and I have looked at thousands of photos and videos). This pic came from the website http://feb17.info and the caption read "NTC security workers direct a vehicle in Misrata". The gun looks sort of big & clunky with four wheels (2 smalls in front, and 2 larger in rear), and it's heavy enough to be towed by a big rig... What is it?

Mine clearing in Brega.

Rebel Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by dkconfiguration View Post
    shown in this photo is the first time i have seen a piece of towed artillery in this whole conflict (and i have looked at thousands of photos and videos). This pic came from the website http://feb17.info and the caption read "ntc security workers direct a vehicle in misrata". The gun looks sort of big & clunky with four wheels (2 smalls in front, and 2 larger in rear), and it's heavy enough to be towed by a big rig... What is it?
    d-30

OJT for Libyan FF near Bir al Ghanam - Jul 2011

Video of First official landing at Nalut "airport," Nafusa Mountains, Western Libya

Rebel BM-21 Grads open fire

RAW,Libya,Landmine hits and turns rebel vehical over just outside of Ajdabiya. 16.07.2011

Quote Originally Posted by DKconfiguration View Post
    Shown in this photo is the first time I have seen a piece of towed artillery in this whole conflict (and I have looked at thousands of photos and videos).
    Boom.

A Libyan soldier loyal to leader Muammar Gaddafi smiles during a rally in the town of Zawiyah, 60km (37 miles) east of Tripoli, July 16, 2011. As loyalists gathered on the streets of the town of Zawiyah, near the capital, on Saturday, Gaddafi said the rebels were "apostates" who had "become Christians."

Supporters of Libya's leader Muammar Gaddafi take part in a rally in the town of Zawiyah ,60km (37 miles) east of Tripoli, July 16, 2011. As loyalists gathered on the streets of the town of Zawiyah, near the capital, on Saturday, Gaddafi said the rebels were "apostates" who had "become Christians."

Libyans pray after burying the body of a rebel killed on the outskirts of Albriqa (West Ajdabya) by forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi during his funeral in Benghazi July 16, 2011. Heavy clashes between rebels and forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi broke out on Saturday in Libya's Western Mountains as insurgents sought to push towards Tripoli. Sustained gunfire and volleys of artillery could be heard from the village of Bir Ayad, 15 km (9 miles) south of the front line at the town of Bir Ghanam.

Libyan rebels pray near a truck with a mounted weapon on the frontline south of the town of Bir Ghanam July 16, 2011. Heavy clashes between rebels and forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi broke out on Saturday in Libya's Western Mountains as insurgents sought to push towards Tripoli. Sustained gunfire and volleys of artillery could be heard from the village of Bir Ayad, 15 km (9 miles) south of the front line at the town of Bir Ghanam.

Libyan national security officers direct traffic in the rebel-held city of Misrata, July 17, 2011.

A Libyan national security officer stands guard at a street in the rebel-held city of Misrata, July 17, 2011.

Gaddafi said the rebels were "apostates" who had "become Christians."
    Wow Mumu you really are circling the drain, can't wait to finally see the rebels capture Tripoli.

Quote Originally Posted by kalerab View Post
    d-30
    Ok, but are there various models of the D-30, or is this a license-built copy with some modification? I ask because the typical Soviet D-30 only had 2 wheels in tow mode, and they all had the rectangular looking box thing over the barrel, and this one in Libya does not. My first guess was that the gun might be a M-1937 ML20 since it has the correct looking tow carriage, but there were other dissimilarities to dissuade me from calling it that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hisroyalhighess View Post
    Wow Mumu you really are circling the drain, can't wait to finally see the rebels capture Tripoli.
    Haha seriously, and here I was just worried these guys were Islamists

Quote Originally Posted by PCrudy View Post
    Boom.
    Good stuff. Looks like they have been holding off on using the towed artillery until just recently, as that vid dates from a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kalerab View Post
    d-30

Quote Originally Posted by PCrudy View Post
    Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by DKconfiguration View Post

Ok, but are there various models of the D-30, or is this a license-built copy with some modification? I ask because the typical Soviet D-30 only had 2 wheels in tow mode, and they all had the rectangular looking box thing over the barrel, and this one in Libya does not. My first guess was that the gun might be a M-1937 ML20 since it has the correct looking tow carriage, but there were other dissimilarities to dissuade me from calling it that one.

130MM M46..
    Range 27kms with regular rounds, with extended 40kms..

Could be Chinese or Russian..
    Last edited by Kunal Biswas; 07-18-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by ATGM View Post
    these t-72 and others equipment and uniforms are from the egypt army.
    Another stuck record

Quote Originally Posted by Kunal Biswas View Post
    130MM M46..
    Range 27kms with regular rounds, with extended 40kms..
    Could be Chinese or Russian..
    That's the ticket - thanks! I found this pic which shows the 4-wheel tow, and the hardware all looks the same on the gun:

Banned user

More Rebel artillery - I think I count 8 gun tubes but can't be sure as the cameraman has Parkinson's I think.