Page 3 of 3687 FirstFirst 123456789101113531035031003 ... LastLast

Thread: Protests in Syria - Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheMacedonian View Post
    The world and Israel does not need a "free democrazy" government in Syria.
    I know; I was being facetious considering Ordie's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Player View Post
    I disagree on this one. If the Assad's regime ever falls, this would most likely mean the end of military/financial support for Hezb. In the worst case scenario Israel would have nothing to lose anyway, so actually it would be better for Israel if the Syrian regime is brought down. Not to mention that this would increase the likelihood of a peace agreement between the two countries.
    Hezbollah is an extension of Iran, with Syrian backing. Loss of Assad's support would of course be a problem, but I do not think the end of Hezbollah.

Buenos Aires in body, the beautiful and green Sharon in my heart

Quote Originally Posted by Ordie View Post
    Better the devil we know in Syria than the devil we do not know.
    When I said that about Egypt, people told me that I was beign Antidemocratic. ironic Uh?

You're nothing more but a greater Khadaffi with bigger guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Player View Post
    I disagree on this one. If the Assad's regime ever falls, this would most likely mean the end of military/financial support for Hezb. In the worst case scenario Israel would have nothing to lose anyway, so actually it would be better for Israel if the Syrian regime is brought down. Not to mention that this would increase the likelihood of a peace agreement between the two countries.
    Even with a new regime, the population of Syria would stay the same, and I doubt that they would be ready to give up the golan, so except about the hezbollah sponsoring, I do not see why it would increase peace chances.

If sunni islamists take control in Syria, as an exemple, I do not see why they would be more peaceful toward israel than assad's regime is.

You're nothing more but a greater Khadaffi with bigger guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber View Post
    When I said that about Egypt, people told me that I was beign Antidemocratic. ironic Uh?
    It depends of what kind of people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12800243

Syria: Protesters in south set fire to buildings

Demonstrators in the southern Syrian city of Deraa have set fire to several buildings during a third consecutive day of protests, witnesses say.

One report said the buildings targeted included the headquarters of the ruling Baath Party.

Police tried to disperse protesters in the southern city, and one demonstrator was reportedly killed.

Violent clashes between anti-government protesters and security forces on Friday left at least four people dead.

The protests on Sunday came as a government delegation arrived in Deraa to offer condolences for those killed.....continues on link.

Hama2 about to happen??

^ they wont be hama 2. the peaceful pro democracy protestor will ask for NFZ from West and Assad will be toast.

Btw if they ask Israel to helped in as well it will be a sight to see.. on different note they may paint Assad as the juice.. which may not be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by glyph View Post
    ^ they wont be hama 2. the peaceful pro democracy protestor will ask for NFZ from West and Assad will be toast.

Btw if they ask Israel to helped in as well it will be a sight to see.. on different note they may paint Assad as the juice.. which may not be a good thing.
    Would Russia allow action against Syria whatever Assad ordered or use its veto?

Making Canadians look bad sepheronx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Proudgrandson View Post
    Would Russia allow action against Syria whatever Assad ordered or use its veto?
    Maybe Russia will pull a France/UK/US?

Quote Originally Posted by GB_FXST View Post
    I know; I was being facetious considering Ordie's comments.

Hezbollah is an extension of Iran, with Syrian backing. Loss of Assad's support would of course be a problem, but I do not think the end of Hezbollah.
    While Hezbollah is more ideologically and politically attached to Iran, it gets most of its weapons from Syria. The majority of its rockets, the M-600's, the Kornets, the RPG-29's, the SA-8's, and soon the P-800 ASM's. Iran provides some important stuff yes, such as Zelzals and C-704's, but Syria still seems to be the greater arms supplier if you look at their arsenal.

The end of Assad will probably meant he end to Syrian support of Hezbollah. I can't see the conservative Sunni regime that will replace him supporting a Shia Iranian proxy like that.

Anyway, it's still a long way off from Assad being overthrown. He's likely to do Al Hama-II before he gives up power, he's somewhere between Mubarak and Gadaffi. Iran showed that even when the situation seems doomed for the dictators, with enough force they can still retain power.

Making Canadians look bad sepheronx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
    While Hezbollah is more ideologically and politically attached to Iran, it gets most of its weapons from Syria. The majority of its rockets, the M-600's, the Kornets, the RPG-29's, the SA-8's, and soon the P-800 ASM's. Iran provides some important stuff yes, such as Zelzals and C-704's, but Syria still seems to be the greater arms supplier if you look at their arsenal.

The end of Assad will probably meant he end to Syrian support of Hezbollah. I can't see the conservative Sunni regime that will replace him supporting a Shia Iranian proxy like that.

Anyway, it's still a long way off from Assad being overthrown. He's likely to do Al Hama-II before he gives up power, he's somewhere between Mubarak and Gadaffi. Iran showed that even when the situation seems doomed for the dictators, with enough force they can still retain power.
    So far, I have never heard Hezbollah use the Osa system. And how do you expect them to launch cruise missiles like P-800?

Quote Originally Posted by sepheronx View Post
    So far, I have never heard Hezbollah use the Osa system. And how do you expect them to launch cruise missiles like P-800?
    There were a lot of rumors that Syria has given the Hezzi's Osa's, and generally it's best to air on the side of caution and assume that the rumors are true. Given how heavily Hezbollah is armed now and given how poorly their air defenses fared in 2006, I think it's rather obvious the rumors are true as these people aren't stupid.

As for the P-800's, the IDF seems pretty concerned that Hezbollah will use them via coastal launchers.

I think this arrest will add more fuel to the fire..

Syria arrests opposition leader as protests continue
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/me...sts/index.html

******* FLASH: Syrian security forces storm Omari Mosque in southern city of Deraa, killing at least four people.

As I have relatives on my mother's side who live in Syria and are Christian I really hope he clings on to power, I don't like despots but I'd much rather have an Arab nationalist, although despicable and undemocratic, than a loony Sunni fanatic. At least the regime is secular, that's something already.

Anyway in all honesty, I know I shouldn't say that, but I really believe that the Hama-way is the only rational way of dealing with Islamists, destroy them.

Banned user

Judging by this video, these "protesters" in Deraa set fire to cars and attacked government buildings. Every state in this situation has the right to use force against rioters ..