Thread: Protests in Syria - Discussion Thread

Tanks deploy in main city in eastern Syria

AMMAN - Syrian army tanks deployed in the eastern city of Deir al-Zor on Saturday to support forces and militiamen loyal to President Bashar Assad who came under rebel attack after three pro-democracy demonstrators were killed, opposition activists said.

"Old Russian T-54 tanks and armored vehicles have taken positions at main roundabouts. Every half an hour or so you hear gunfire by the Free Syrian Army directed at roadblocks manned by security police and 'shabbiha' (pro-Assad militia)," Abu Abdel Rahman, one of the activists, told ******* from Deir al-Zor.

The city, 450 km northeast of Damascus, is situated on the Euphrates river in an oil producing province bordering Iraq, from where opposition sources say weapons are smuggled to rebels operating under the flag of the loosely organized Free Syrian Army.

Opposition sources say Free Syrian Army rebels in Deir al-Zor have been arming and organizing in the last two months as Assad's main forces were focused on trying to put down the revolt on the central city of Homs and its surrounding countryside.

"There are now ten Free Syrian Army brigades operating in Deir al-Zor and more weapons flowing from Iraq, but the rebels' organization is still lacking and security forces retain control on the city in daytime. At night the ground belongs to the rebels," Abu Abdelrahman said.
    http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=260315

Syrian rebels in Idlib bide their time

Reporting from Idlib province, Syria—

The rebels sleep on thin mattresses with AK-47s and handguns by their sides. Their rented apartment has the feel of college dorm meets military barracks — crumpled cigarette packs, old coffee cups, gun magazines and an incongruously feminine touch: plastic sunflowers rimming the doorways.

With cellphone coverage blocked by the government, they spend their days meeting at safe houses like this one to strategize. Before the topic of war comes a crucial question. How do you take your coffee?

Here in Syria'sIdlib province, a key opposition region in the almost yearlong uprising against the rule of President Bashar Assad, matters of revolution must wait for Arab hospitality.

"So that if we die as martyrs, we die with a full stomach," rebel Mustafa Saeed said as he waited for lunch to be served.

Despite the urgency of their armed resistance and the rising death toll across the country, rebels here aren't rushing into battle against an army with far superior weapons and organization. Rather, they bide their time, staging guerrilla attacks and planning for the insurgency they want to fight, not the one they are equipped for now.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...365,full.story

According to RT Some of the rebels are jihadi's coming from Iraq. Every report I hear from these Jihadi's seems to be same as Libya = "we need you to kill these guys for us."
    Will we get the same thanks with desecrated graves etc as in Libya?

RT?.. No thanks. "Wolf! wolf!" works with them just as in the tale.

I hope Clinton was sincere about her words on the Kurdish issue. As in Iraq, it'll prove to be a successful move to have an influential Kurdish movement in the post-Assad government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17255912

One woman, who had walked for three days to escape, said that on Friday troops had taken 36 men and boys from one area and killed them.
    "My son's throat was cut," she said. "He was 12."
    Her husband said he was hiding about 50m away and saw one soldier hold down their son's head with his boot while another killed him.
    "I could hear their screams," he added.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by themacedonian View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17255912

One woman, who had walked for three days to escape, said that on Friday troops had taken 36 men and boys from one area and killed them.
    "My son's throat was cut," she said. "He was 12."
    Her husband said he was hiding about 50m away and saw one soldier hold down their son's head with his boot while another killed him.
    "I could hear their screams," he added.
    yet. somehow. we gotta hear that "they're terrorists" when they ghost an ******* in a uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMonolith View Post
    yet. somehow. we gotta hear that "they're terrorists" when they ghost an ******* in a uniform.
    do you have kids?

Banned user

do you have kids?
    what makes you ask that question, considering what i just wrote?

if I had it my, the vast majority of the syrian army would be gone by now. the incident you just mentioned more than warrants it.

Where are the westerners who went to defend Palestinians from the evil Israelis.

Why arent they in Syria defending their beloved Arabs.

It seems when arabs massacre each other, there westerners seem to loose interest in human rights very quickly..............when the going gets tough..............

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMonolith View Post
    what makes you ask that question, considering what i just wrote?

if I had it my, the vast majority of the syrian army would be gone by now. the incident you just mentioned more than warrants it.
    because there is no way in hell a father will listen and watch to his son being cut 50m away from him and not do anything about or run to tell the story. No one. Ask anyone. Certainly not an Arab father. No way.

Syria is going back to normal, no need to listen to bbc

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_UA View Post
    Syria is going back to normal, no need to listen to bbc
    Yeah, one province out of government control, in several others nothing short of open warfare, third largest city beeing shelled to bricks means anything but "going back to normal".

Banned user

I wonder whats gonna happen if the regime really goes overboard with the retaliations.

At some point, if we dont act, we lose credibility. And somehow I have a hard time seeing that as something desirable for the West at this point in time.

BBC is a propoganda organisation , all that it has been doing all throught the conflict is just propogating one side of the story without giving the other side even a minute of Air time. Hardly can be called a fair reporting .I remember during the 90's when Kashmir terrorist supported by Pakistan was at its peak in my country BBC would just put out one side of the story that of Pakistan and its sponsored terrorist and fabricating lies and stories on Human right abuse of Indian Army based on terrorist information. Finally after 9/11 things changed 180 degrees .No wonder in India BBC is known as Biased Broadcasting Corporation.
    Last edited by AustinJ; 03-05-2012 at 12:15 PM.