Thread: Protests in Syria - Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kalerab View Post
    Not really sure if that is true, I see no confirmation from the journalists on the other side of the border. Acc to this there were some clashes and Jaish al-Islam, Tawheed and Ahrar al-Sham condemned ISIS and issued ultimatum to submit to Sharia court

http://shahbapress.com/news/686/%D8%...%B9%D8%A9.html
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/10...y-border-post/

I don't trust tweets in general. However, these appeared both on Kurd and pro rebel twitter pages so there could be something in them.

Yeah, there were clashes but the border post apparently remains the same as before. The statement above was signed in addition to those groups by Suqor al-Sham, Al Haq and al-Furqan. Basically all big shot groups from both SIF and SILF. They also order ISIS to withdraw from town.

Btw border crossing has been opened up between cities of Kobane (formerly Ain al-Arab) on Syrian side and Mursitpinar on Turkish side. Seems that PYD and Turkey are cooperating on some level after all.

Counting the paces on the path back to Babylon.

Quote Originally Posted by partisan1975 View Post
    I don't know if you sometimes watch ANNA clips (Svodka) on youtube or liveleak. They've got some impressive footage from battles in Daraa and Damascus almost on daily basis. Anyway, in some of those clips tank crews and mechanics talk about repairs and overhauls of damaged tanks and you can see some T-72s which have been immobilized by RPGs two or three times already but they're on the front line again; punctured armor plates welded, new day/night sights, cage protection... The same thing is with BMP-2s. I'm sure that SAA also cannibalizes every unrepairable tank to the the last screw. About a year ago there was a story about Russian transport planes landing in Damascus with spare parts for tanks and jets but I can't find a link now.
    I've watched almost every one up to date. That is why the latest one was so intriguing to me. The 4th AD's T-72's have been in a bad shape for awhile now, from the interviews, it seemed the mechanics were only able to make do with what they had available, and so were not able to adequately refit their vehicles. What was so interesting about the last video was that all the tanks I saw in it had new ERA tiles, new skirts, new optics, some even had rather new paint. This leads me to think that either they received new knockdown kits from an Eastern European source, there was a lull in the fighting long enough to do a total refit of all the tanks back at a facility at Mt. Qasioun, or some of these are actually new tanks. The latter would be the most significant, but I believe most were just existing hulls that've been refit.

Banned user

Does anyone have any concrete in depth info on who newsANNA really are? There is little background to them

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Bonetopick View Post
    Does anyone have any concrete in depth info on who newsANNA really are? There is little background to them
    ANNA is a russian backed news agency (http://anna-news.info) registered in Abkhazia. Obviously they're pro-Asad, and they're always embedded with Govt. forces.
    Was founded by Marat Musin, Russian crisis expert. Most of reporters are volunteers from Russia and ANNA works not just in Syria. It appears that ANNA has no financial sources but only donations.

The upgrade to T-72AV level with ERA was made some times in the late 90's, using equipment imported from ex- soviet stores, possible Belorussian(?). The upgrade it self was preformed in Syria it self by an Armenian company, this may also explain the non standard ERA configuration seen on most Syrian T-72's.

Please don't ask for a source, it's at least 10 years ago I read somewhere on the internet...
    Last edited by the_penguin; 10-03-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pride View Post
    ANNA is a russian backed news agency (http://anna-news.info) registered in Abkhazia. Obviously they're pro-Asad, and they're always embedded with Govt. forces.
    Was founded by Marat Musin, Russian crisis expert. Most of reporters are volunteers from Russia and ANNA works not just in Syria. It appears that ANNA has no financial sources but only donations.
    TBH, I feel that ANNA is just a proxy of RT. They came out of nowhere and somehow managed to get embedded with Syria's most elite combat formation. If you go to their website, they've reported on nothing but Syria, that is literally all they do. The 'donations' most likely source from the Russian government, as their propaganda output is in line with most of RT's stories. However, that said, their footage is almost always excellent, quite like RT's. Russia has a knack for getting it's state media arm into some sketchy places for extended periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Impartial Bias View Post
    TBH, I feel that ANNA is just a proxy of RT. They came out of nowhere and somehow managed to get embedded with Syria's most elite combat formation. If you go to their website, they've reported on nothing but Syria, that is literally all they do. The 'donations' most likely source from the Russian government, as their propaganda output is in line with most of RT's stories. However, that said, their footage is almost always excellent, quite like RT's. Russia has a knack for getting it's state media arm into some sketchy places for extended periods of time.
    I doubt that ANNA is RT proxy. I've done some research on Marat Musin - ANNA chief and seems like he hates 3 things FSA, Yeltsin regime, Putin regime. Considering RT as direct Kremlin mouthpiece I think it's highly unlikely that RT will put a guy like Musin in charge of it's proxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Osobist View Post
    I doubt that ANNA is RT proxy. I've done some research on Marat Musin - ANNA chief and seems like he hates 3 things FSA, Yeltsin regime, Putin regime. Considering RT as direct Kremlin mouthpiece I think it's highly unlikely that RT will put a guy like Musin in charge of it's proxy.
    Interesting, did not know that. Were you able to find out anything else about Musin? Sounds like he's an ethnic Abkhaz? Did you get any of his prior works?
    It's difficult researching it for me, it seems most source information would be in Russian. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Impartial Bias View Post
    Interesting, did not know that. Were you able to find out anything else about Musin? Sounds like he's an ethnic Abkhaz? Did you get any of his prior works?
    It's difficult researching it for me, it seems most source information would be in Russian. Any help would be appreciated.
    I doubt you will find anything on him in English part of Internet, but he's quite active in Russian one. Most of his interest centered about raging Kleptocracy going on in Russia late 30 years with Syria being sort of hobby. But he's not some foaming commie with a zeal, guy is quite proficient and capable. Here's short bio on him http://traditio-ru.org/wiki/Марат_Мазитович_Мусин hope you find something of use for you with Google translate.

Report: CIA bolstering support for moderate Syrian opposition forces

[*******#8F8F8F][*******#8F8F8F]By JPOST.COM STAFF[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [*******#8F8F8F]10/03/2013 10:26[/COLOR]

Agency expected to train a few hundred fighter each month.

In a bid to bolster moderate forces in Syria against Islamic rebel factions, the CIA has reportedly been expanding a covert program to train US-backed opposition fighters in the embattled country, The Washington Post on Thursday cited US officials as saying.

According to the report, the agency was expected to train only "a few hundred" moderate fighters each month following the expansion of the program. The official told the Post that the limited number of CIA-trained fighters would not be enough to overcome Islamic extremists rebels who are also fighting against Syrian President Bashar Assad's regime.

The limited impact of the clandestine program allows the CIA to provide enough backing to the moderates to ensure they don't lose in the civil war, but not enough for them to hail an overall victory, the Post cited the officials as saying.

Such restraints on the agency's authorities stem from the US desire to see a political resolution in Syria, which requires a stalemate among opposition rebel groups, the report said.

CONTINUED: http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Rep...-forces-327751

[SIZE=3][FONT=arial]Aleppo Stalemate Fuels Rebel Frustration[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=arial]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][*******#464647][FONT=Lucida Grande][SIZE=3][FONT=arial]The struggle for Syria's second city Aleppo has been locked in stalemate for months, fueling the frustration of rebels who see no way out but to doggedly battle on.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#464647][FONT=Lucida Grande][SIZE=3][FONT=arial]
    "We take a building and then lose it two or three days later, only to take it back the following week," said Abu Ahmed, whose platoon operates in the Salaheddin and Saif al-Dawla districts of the devastated city that was once Syria's commercial capital.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    "There is no progress. We are not winning the war," the 42-year-old fighter grumbled as he spoke to an Agence France Presse reporter who passed the night with the platoon on the front line.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    "Take this street, for example. We took it in just an hour a year ago, and since then we haven't advanced one meter (yard)."[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#464647][FONT=Lucida Grande][SIZE=3][FONT=arial]The conflict in Syria has cost more than 115,000 lives since it erupted in March 2011 with peaceful protests that became a civil war after a harsh regime crackdown on dissent.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    But the fighting came late to Aleppo.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#464647][FONT=Lucida Grande][SIZE=3][FONT=arial]Rebels seized parts of the northern city in July 2012 and President Bashar Assad's troops have been trying ever since to regain full control of it.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Morale is particularly low this night. One of the rebels has been seriously wounded by a sniper who shot him in the chest.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#464647][FONT=Lucida Grande][SIZE=3][FONT=arial]Resting his AK-47 assault rifle against the wall and taking off his combat jacket, one of Abu Ahmed's men said bluntly: "This war is wearing us down.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    "The food is bad, and there's not enough of it. We can only wash a couple of times a week because we don't always have water, and the electricity comes and goes."[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#464647][FONT=Lucida Grande][SIZE=3][FONT=arial]But it is not just everyday comforts that are lacking, but the means to wage a proper war, said Abu Ahmed, as he opens a plastic bag and empties its contents on the floor.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#464647][FONT=Lucida Grande][SIZE=3][FONT=arial]Two men collect the bullets up and snap them into magazines, which they shove in their jackets. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [SIZE=3][FONT=arial]
    [*******#000000]More after the link[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/SIZE]
    http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/100699-aleppo-stalemate-fuels-rebel-frustration

Quote Originally Posted by Camera View Post
    Report: CIA bolstering support for moderate Syrian opposition forces[*******#8F8F8F][*******#8F8F8F]By JPOST.COM STAFF[/COLOR][/COLOR][*******#8F8F8F]10/03/2013 10:26[/COLOR]Agency expected to train a few hundred fighter each month.In a bid to bolster moderate forces in Syria against Islamic rebel factions, the CIA has reportedly been expanding a covert program to train US-backed opposition fighters in the embattled country, The Washington Post on Thursday cited US officials as saying.According to the report, the agency was expected to train only "a few hundred" moderate fighters each month following the expansion of the program. The official told the Post that the limited number of CIA-trained fighters would not be enough to overcome Islamic extremists rebels who are also fighting against Syrian President Bashar Assad's regime.The limited impact of the clandestine program allows the CIA to provide enough backing to the moderates to ensure they don't lose in the civil war, but not enough for them to hail an overall victory, the Post cited the officials as saying.Such restraints on the agency's authorities stem from the US desire to see a political resolution in Syria, which requires a stalemate among opposition rebel groups, the report said.CONTINUED: http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Rep...-forces-327751
    Some hundreds at month? Iranian NDF trainers must be laughing out loud at the news.Only thing that will happen is that they would be the next ones on the list of the republican guard as soon as they would end to mop up Damascus.