Page 3412 of 3412 FirstFirst ... 24122912331233623402340434053406340734083409341034113412
Results 51,166 to 51,180 of 51180

Thread: Protests in Syria - Discussion Thread

Latent Hippy looking for their Summer of Love Stuja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel44CZ View Post
    They mostly kill lots of civilians (too inaccurate to target frontlines or individual military targets).
    Then why use them in the first place . ?

They are likely not even trying to go for a military target unless 'rebel held neighbourhood' constitutes 'military target'. Scuds and the like are acts of terrorism designed to make civilians become frustrated that the rebels cannot protect them and relocate to safer (govt held) areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuja View Post
    Then why use them in the first place . ?
    One could say the same about the barrel bombs, or just regular artillery being used to hit cities.
    In one of the Abkhazia TV videos they also used a self-propelling artillery unit next to T-72's for an extra punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Sayers View Post
    Those individuals in that video are sick in the head - laughing and joking as they use ballistic missiles to murder the civilians they swore to protect. No tears from me if ISIS overrun that place and getting them digging their graves - bet they wouldn't find that quite so hilarious.
    I don't know if you speak arabic as that's not really what is said at all..

They are likely not even trying to go for a military target unless 'rebel held neighbourhood' constitutes 'military target'. Scuds and the like are acts of terrorism designed to make civilians become frustrated that the rebels cannot protect them and relocate to safer (govt held) areas.
    So there is a strategy behind it and it isn't just indiscriminate killing of women and children? Glad we got that sorted out.

I don't speak Arabic (bar a few words remembered from when I lived in Dubai) but would be very interested in a translation please.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthBearer View Post
    So there is a strategy behind it and it isn't just indiscriminate killing of women and children? Glad we got that sorted out.
    There is indeed a strategy behind the indiscriminate killing of women and children. That it is done for a reason hardly makes it acceptable as far as I am concerned. There is a strategy behind why ISIS released all those videos of them murdering POWs captured at Tabqa but does that make killing the prisoners fine?

I don't speak Arabic (bar a few words remembered from when I lived in Dubai) but would be very interested in a translation please.
    I'm sorry I don't have the patience for translation. Any other members able to do this?

There is indeed a strategy behind the indiscriminate killing of women and children. That it is done for a reason hardly makes it acceptable as far as I am concerned. There is a strategy behind why ISIS released all those videos of them murdering POWs captured at Tabqa but does that make killing the prisoners fine?
    I'm not going to criticize ISIS for executing their POWs. That's how they operate. We all know that. It's been 3 years+.

The regime likes to bomb cities into submission. It's been 3 years+. We should all expect it.

Does it make it okay? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Yenikuyu View Post

I think this is the first time we're seeing a SCUD missile being launched.
    Sick bastards is all I have to say to these f...

Those individuals in that video are sick in the head - laughing and joking as they use ballistic missiles to murder the civilians they swore to protect. No tears from me if ISIS overrun that place and getting them digging their graves - bet they wouldn't find that quite so hilarious.
    How do you know those missiles were launched at densely populated areas?

Besides; welcome to (modern) civil war, where highly populated and urban areas are used as fighting ground between all kinds of actors, who aren't deterred by civilians in their operations.

Quote Originally Posted by loscules View Post
    Why would Turkey allow PKK terrorists into their own territory? They will eventually turn their guns towards Turkey. Civilians have been fleeing towards IS held areas and Turkey but I don't think PKK fighters will be allowed into Turkey and for sure not into IS held areas.
    That's true...same thing happened in 90s when Saddam pushed them to the Turkish border, but we gotto admit that it is pretty difficult to screen them out of the regular people in need...esp. in that chaotic situation

Quote Originally Posted by Surenas View Post
    How do you know those missiles were launched at densely populated areas?

Besides; welcome to (modern) civil war, where highly populated and urban areas are used as fighting ground between all kinds of actors, who aren't deterred by civilians in their operations.
    I am a little surprised at the indignation caused by a firing of a ballistic missile. Any weapon fired - unless it is a guided one – is inaccurate. Even guided weapons used by western forces also cause casualties among civilians. Does it make civilian casualties OK? No At the same time a ‘liberation’ by armed gangs which later shed crocodile tears when civilians get killed is also not OK. Think about cause and effect – the shelling bombing missile strikes are a result of armed gang presence. In addition one can say, that using civilian casualties for rebel propaganda when the civilian casualties are a result of rebel presence is most cynical by the rebels and their supporters.

Before I log out again – I strongly condemn the killing of civilians, the difference between me and many rebel supporters is that I am willing to always say that.

Quote Originally Posted by InterCityFirmWhu View Post
    Turkish MP @Mv_MCetin: IS summarily executed 300 PKK/PYD captive militants from Kobane in Turkish city Akcakale. https://twitter.com/Mv_MCetin/status...9539923361792I

think he means in the vicinity of Akcakale, aka in Tal Abyad which is right under Akcakale on the syrian side. -

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Ak%C3%A7akale%2F%C5%9Eanl%C4%B1urfa,+Turkije/@36.6927153,38.9540574,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x15341fd35b0248bb:0x9d4bca87d8a721c0
    https://twitter.com/washingtonpoint/...74668573929474

Some articles on it -
    http://m.radikal.com.tr/dunya/pkk_40...nderdi-1213850
    http://gundem.bugun.com.tr/isid-kurs...haberi/1265781

Raqqa Anti-IS group claims : Today, IS beheaded a captive wearing an orange uniform.

Full Story in English here - https://www.facebook.com/Raqqa.Sl/posts/866972966647289
    PKK officially denied this today.

I don't know that those particular ones were aimed at densely populated areas (and granted I am aware some ballistic missiles have been launched at overrun bases) but it is surely beyond doubt, and extremely widely evidenced, that missiles are launched at cities on a regular basis. If the ones in the video were not targeted at cities then the next ones they fired would have been.

If an old SCUD B is used at rather short range of 150-200km and aligned by a experienced crew that has plenty of time, it can be used against tactical targets and hit within less than a 500m circle. This is enough for good frag effect with its 1 ton weight.

Not to talk about something like the Fateh-110.

Those 3km CEP stuff on Wikipedia is very general and has nothing to do with the complex reality of the system.

So sick basterds is not appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4Driver View Post
    That's true...same thing happened in 90s when Saddam pushed them to the Turkish border, but we gotto admit that it is pretty difficult to screen them out of the regular people in need...esp. in that chaotic situation
    True. 4x I just read from some sources that pkk fleeing from Syria have been treated at Turkish hospitals. Is it true? How's the situation at Akcakale if u have any information. Thanks.