Thread: Protests in Syria - Discussion Thread

  1. #40111
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siempre_Leal View Post
    It's in North-east of Rima Farms; this AREA The mosque that you see in the video is HERE
    Dam looks like the SAA hasnt rly pushed into Rima farms at all then :X Would expect them to be much closer to Yabrood by now.

  2. #40112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InterCityFirmWhu View Post
    Dam looks like the SAA hasnt rly pushed into Rima farms at all then :X Would expect them to be much closer to Yabrood by now.
    That's a video from a couple of days ago.

    Industrial city is just 1km from the city centre. That's nothing.

  3. #40113
    Banned User Laworkerbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    California Über Alles
    Age
    44
    Posts
    42,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samii View Post
    http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/orig...rar-syria.html



    OOPS!

    Looks like a group which the US is indirectly financing & arming, has secured the released of a 9/11 plotter.

    Stop this madness already Obama.
    An American rendition subject, sent to Syria for interrogation and execution, this was back when Syria had a purpose for the United States.

  4. #40114
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Talked to someone from TahrirSy and they said that the mosque is not even close to Industrial Zone that the regime is fighting for. So they must be well past that mosque location if they are in fact attacking the "Yabroud Industrial Zone"

  5. #40115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InterCityFirmWhu View Post
    Talked to someone from TahrirSy and they said that the mosque is not even close to Industrial Zone that the regime is fighting for. So they must be well past that mosque location if they are in fact attacking the "Yabroud Industrial Zone"
    Makes sense.

    Also, remember the army is advancing from the north, south, and east fronts. There were reports today from pro regime sources that the army reached an area inside Yabroud city from the south.

    I think in next few days Yabroud battle will be over - and the Nusra guys will go to Rankus or Arsal (Lebanon) where nobody can touch them. From there, they can be an absolute nuisance from across the border... and the SAA/HA can't do nothing about it without starting a civil war in Lebanon... I think most Nusra leaders in Yabroud are either dead, or have already fled.

  6. #40116
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Rebel Battalion commander that refused the Kenitra truce with regime and warned others who tried to accept was assassinated 10 days after releasing his video activists are saying.

    http://67.159.45.21/Archive/136000?u...medium=twitter (Arabic)

  7. #40117
    Senior Member Universals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    But my hand was made strong by the hand of the Almighty!
    Posts
    7,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samii View Post
    Makes sense.

    Also, remember the army is advancing from the north, south, and east fronts. There were reports today from pro regime sources that the army reached an area inside Yabroud city from the south.

    I think in next few days Yabroud battle will be over - and the Nusra guys will go to Rankus or Arsal (Lebanon) where nobody can touch them. From there, they can be an absolute nuisance from across the border... and the SAA/HA can't do nothing about it without starting a civil war in Lebanon... I think most Nusra leaders in Yabroud are either dead, or have already fled.
    I thought they were "surrounded".

  8. #40118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,747

    Default

    Assad military advance in western Syria pushed deal that led to nuns’ release, official says

    BEIRUT — The deal that saw the release over the weekend of 13 Syrian nuns who'd been abducted in December by anti-government fighters happened largely because rebel forces fear they are about to lose control of the area where the nuns were being held.

    Lebanese security officials familiar with the details of the negotiations for the nuns' release said both sides realized that as government forces surrounded the rebel stronghold of Yabroud, they faced the possibility that the nuns would be killed, either by their captors or in a crossfire. Such a result would not only mean the death of the nuns, but also eliminate any possibility of a ransom being paid for their release.

    The complex series of negotiations involved the head of Qatar’s intelligence services, a pro-Syrian regime Lebanese intelligence officer, the al Qaida-affiliated Nusra Front, the Syrian government and the rebel group that abducted the nuns from the Greek Orthodox Mar Takla monastery in Maloula in early December.

    The nuns were transferred to the custody of Lebanese authorities late Sunday in exchange for the government’s release of 153 prisoners as well as a sizable ransom payment made to the original kidnappers, according to public statements by both sides and private statements by intelligence officials familiar with the process.

    A Lebanese security official, who spoke on the condition that he not be named because he wasn’t authorized to discuss the delicate negotiations, said that the progress of Syrian government troops and fighters from the Lebanese Hezbollah movement against rebel forces in an area known as the Qalamoun was the spark that drove the deal.

    “The regime’s and Hezbollah’s progress in Qalamoun over the last week meant Yabroud was increasingly surrounded,” the official said. “The Nusra Front realized they had to act quickly to get any sort of deal from the regime or they would risk seeing the nuns freed or, worse, killed in a crossfire.”
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/03/1...n-western.html

  9. #40119
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,747

    Default

    Israel Watches Warily as Hezbollah Gains Battle Skills in Syria

    TEL AVIV — Hezbollah’s distracting and costly engagement in the Syrian civil war has offered some practical benefit to Israelis. It has also been a source of foreboding.

    On the one hand, Hezbollah, the militant Lebanese Shiite organization that fought a monthlong war against Israel in 2006, is preoccupied with shoring up the government of President Bashar al-Assad of Syria in its struggle against rebel forces, and is suffering losses.

    But Hezbollah is also acquiring battlefield experience, and the only way for Mr. Assad, a longtime Hezbollah ally, to repay the group is by supplying it with sophisticated weapons, according to Israeli military officials and experts — strengths that could eventually be used against Israel.

    “Hezbollah has 4,000 to 5,000 soldiers today in Syria,” a senior Israeli military officer told reporters at army headquarters here last week. “This is a major burden for Hezbollah but also a major advantage.” Speaking on the condition of anonymity in accordance with Israeli Army rules, he added, “I have no doubt that Hezbollah gained much more self-confidence because of the Syrian experience.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/11/wo...=tw-share&_r=0

  10. #40120
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Idlib
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Newclone's favorite pro Bashar tv channel Sama calling the nuns traitors.


  11. #40121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Universals View Post
    I thought they were "surrounded".
    Theyre not completely surrounded. The army has left the Falita route open. There is a lot of speculation as to whether they will actually close it.

    Now that operations on the outskirts of Yabrud have started without opening a front in Falita, it makes me think they will keep that route open, and let them all go to Arsal in Lebanon.. where they can cause trouble and make more justification for HA to stay in Syria etc.. thats my theory anyway ha

  12. #40122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surenas View Post
    Assad military advance in western Syria pushed deal that led to nuns’ release, official says



    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/03/1...n-western.html
    Pretty much what i predicted yesterday

  13. #40123
    Senior Member Universals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    But my hand was made strong by the hand of the Almighty!
    Posts
    7,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samii View Post
    Theyre not completely surrounded. The army has left the Falita route open. There is a lot of speculation as to whether they will actually close it.

    Now that operations on the outskirts of Yabrud have started without opening a front in Falita, it makes me think they will keep that route open, and let them all go to Arsal in Lebanon.. where they can cause trouble and make more justification for HA to stay in Syria etc.. thats my theory anyway ha
    That's somewhat logical, but I doubt HA would want them there for any reason.

  14. #40124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Universals View Post
    That's somewhat logical, but I doubt HA would want them there for any reason.
    Yes thats probably what they are debating now.. however, while the hezbullah 'people' wouldn't want them in Arsal.. I'm sure HA leaders would love them to go there.. it gives them more justification for their existence, more local support, and a 'moral' mandate to protect their people... so I think HA leaders actually want the terrorists to go there..

    Besides, there's at least 2000 gunmen in Yabroud.. clearing them all out will take a lot of time and resources which can better be used elsewhere.. better to let them go, some will go to lebanon, some will lay down their weapons, some will inevitably rejoin the fight elsewhere.. but with each new captured town, the next one becomes easier as the army controls more and more of the country.. and more rebels start laying down their arms.. SAA can't clear out all the gunmen in the country, but I think they are trying to crush their moral, and encourage them to go back to normal civilian life, or even join the 'local NDF'... as evidenced by 'reconciliation' agreements in Damascus.. or the government's desperate attempts to portray 'normality' in Aleppo..

  15. #40125
    Senior Member Universals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    But my hand was made strong by the hand of the Almighty!
    Posts
    7,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samii View Post
    Yes thats probably what they are debating now.. however, while the hezbullah 'people' wouldn't want them in Arsal.. I'm sure HA leaders would love them to go there.. it gives them more justification for their existence, more local support, and a 'moral' mandate to protect their people... so I think HA leaders actually want the terrorists to go there..
    hmm...that's about as logical as leaving a viper in the house just so you can justify going to the hospital.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •