A British photographer injured in Syria says the attacks on the city of Homs are "a systematic slaughter of the civilian population".
Paul Conroy, 47, injured last week in an attack which killed two journalists, told the BBC's Newsnight he feared a massacre was about to occur.
He described Sunday Times journalist Marie Colvin, who was killed in the attack, as the "best of the best".
"I don't know anyone who had her tenacity and bravery," he said.
Mr Conroy, who was smuggled to Lebanon by Syrian rebels, said he had covered "a fair few wars" but what was happening in Homs was "on another level".
He said: "There are no targets in Baba Amr. There are no military targets, it's pure and systematic slaughter of a civilian population. The only reason those shells are going in are to eliminate the people and buildings of Baba Amr.
"I saw it. When I got there, I'd seen the reports, there is no war, it's a slaughterhouse."