Thread: Protests in Syria - Discussion Thread

Banned user

[SIZE=2]Al Jazeera journalists quit channel citing bias on Syria coverage [/SIZE]

Banned user

Russia sending humanitarian aid to Syria
    The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry is sending about 80 tonnes of humanitarian aid to Syria at the government’s order. Two Ilyushin Il-76 jets are flying to Damascus on Monday. The humanitarian aid include tents, blankets, canned fish and meat, sugar, baby food and field kitchen sets, the ministry said. The humanitarian operation is being coordinated with the Russian Foreign Ministry.
    http://rt.com/news/line/2012-03-12/#id27811

Suspended for infractions

27 killed across Syria, army bombards Idlib

BEIRUT: The Syrian army launched a new assault on Monday in the restive northern province of Idlib and the city itself, where residents are suffering "indescribable" humanitarian conditions, activists said.

The army offensive, which follows a ferocious weekend assault by regime forces against rebel bastions in Idlib, came as 27 people were killed in violence across Syria, according to monitors.

They comprised 12 civilians, 12 soldiers and three rebels, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

"The army bombarded the Dbeit district in Idlib city and pounded the Ath-Thawra neighbourhood, where several buildings collapsed," an anti-regime activist in the city told AFP via Skype, giving his name only as Yasser.

He reported tanks and armoured cars driving around inside the city.

"The humanitarian situation is indescribable, the residents are totally without water and electricity, and communications have been cut off," he added.

While the army controls some parts of the city that were wrested from the rebels in an assault on Saturday, others remain in the hands of the insurgents.

In the Dbeit neighbourhood, 20 bodies were discovered on Sunday night, according to Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Britian-based Syrian Observatory.

On Monday, at least eight civilians were killed in Idlib province, the Observatory said, including a child travelling in car targeted by gunfire in Al-Mastum district and another civilian hit by a rocket.

Two others were shot dead near the town of Maaret al-Numan and in the Jabal al-Zawiya district, the monitoring group added.

"The government forces have also bombarded the Maaret Masrin area, near Idlib city," Abdel Rahman said.

Two soldiers also lost their lives in the province.

In the flashpoint central province of Homs, meanwhile, four civilians were reportedly killed by security force fire in separate incidents.

And in Hama province, three soldiers were killed by rebels who repulsed an assault on the Qalaat al-Madiq district after it came under heavy machine-gun fire from regime forces.

Five soldiers were killed in Daraa province, south of the capital, three of them in an attack on their vehicle in Daraa city, cradle of the anti-regime protests that first erupted one year ago.

And in the nothern province of Raqqa, three rebels and two intelligence officers in the Syrian air force were reportedly killed in Al-Tabka district.

Scores of people were killed over the weekend when regime forces stormed rebel bastions in Idlib province, with troops pouring into the city itself on Saturday.

The assault came 10 days after the Homs neighbourhood of Baba Amr was stormed, capping a month-long blitz in which hundreds died.
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...188604/1/.html

Is the defecting Syrian brass being allowed to set up shop in Turkey?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-1...sition/3884588

Things are going quite ugly there. I do not think justice will be served.

Quote Originally Posted by themacedonian View Post
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-1...sition/3884588

Things are going quite ugly there. I do not think justice will be served.
    By foreign affairs editor Peter Cave and wires - Must be nice, to be able to write a story from your desk, never visiting the place you're writing about or having to give a claim to others, and having your writing being taken as gospel.

I don't trust these reports at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Svetovid View Post
    [SIZE=2]Al Jazeera journalists quit channel citing bias on Syria coverage [/SIZE]

LOL. RT fighting for unbiased reporting. Now I just need to see Chinese CCTV advocating unrestricted access to information and freedom of speech.

Suspended for infractions

Quote Originally Posted by Laworkerbee View Post
    By foreign affairs editor Peter Cave and wires - Must be nice, to be able to write a story from your desk, never visiting the place you're writing about or having to give a claim to others, and having your writing being taken as gospel.

As a matter of fact, Syrian government confirmed that massacre had taken place, they just put blame on "terrorist gangs". So those civies were executed.

I believe the reports but I am sorry to say that armed gangs have a motive at this moment to slaughter. They werenot executed but clubbed to death, stabbed and cut.

Quote Originally Posted by kalerab View Post
    As a matter of fact, Syrian government confirmed that massacre had taken place, they just put blame on "terrorist gangs". So those civies were executed.
    Doesn't surprise me in the least. Do you remember the civil war in Algeria? The GIA and other groups were beheading folks, some say the government was doing the same and blaming it on the rebels, this is why I don't trust these sources too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Korathv2 View Post
    LOL. RT fighting for unbiased reporting. Now I just need to see Chinese CCTV advocating unrestricted access to information and freedom of speech.
    Yep RT itself is one of the biggest offenders in terms of 1-sided views. Then again, it doesn't claim to be anything but.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. Do you remember the civil war in Algeria? The GIA and other groups were beheading folks, some say the government was doing the same and blaming it on the rebels, this is why I don't trust these sources too often.
    no terrorists have any reason to attack those people in Homs, unless they get paid to do it. it's not the behaviour of an organized army, it's the behaviour of criminals. maybe they were let out of prison if they agreed to take part of it.. Assad could stop the massacre if he wanted to, but instead he continue to use the one method he knows, which is terror.. it's a classic psychopath and he'll never stop until stopped..

Banned user

Btw. note to all Bashing Assad - most of the crimes that he is accused of, even if real, have not much to do with him as accused one arent the army but pro Assad militias - over whom he has no direct control.

Assad's army captures Syria rebel stronghold of Idlib, activists say

Many fear offensive in northern city could turn into a campaign similar to that led by the Syrian army in Homs; Assad declares sets May date for parliamentary elections.

By [*******#434141]Avi Issacharoff[/COLOR] and [*******#434141]DPA

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-e...s-say-1.418227[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by hattusili View Post
    no terrorists have any reason to attack those people in Homs, unless they get paid to do it. it's not the behaviour of an organized army, it's the behaviour of criminals. maybe they were let out of prison if they agreed to take part of it.. Assad could stop the massacre if he wanted to, but instead he continue to use the one method he knows, which is terror.. it's a classic psychopath and he'll never stop until stopped..
    Conjecture and opinion, you have no idea of who was involved in this tragedy or why it took place.

As for Assad being a "classic psychopath" I think you're wrong. Assad and his government is doing what any other government would do when it's power is threatened, it uses force. There is a history to these actions, if any of you would bother reading a book about Syria or history in the Middle East you wouldn't be posting this.

Let me say this again for the one thousand f[*******"#000000"]u[/COLOR]cking time in this thread - Hama 1982 - Learn about it, what happened there is no different than what is happening today, except maybe Hama's destruction was more brutal and totally complete.