Thread: Protests in Syria - Discussion Thread

No, unlike in Lebanon one sect have majority of population yet the power is concentrated in hands of one minor sect. Confessional democracy could solve that problem by establishing from which sect president, prime minister and deputy PM should come from, granting redistribution of power which otherwise would fall into hands of sunnis and allocating them more power than they would have in normal democracy. Also in current situation when sectarian struggle is in its high I doubt you could establish citizienship state without someone paying the price. Most probably Alawites.

Quote Originally Posted by kalerab View Post
    No, unlike in Lebanon one sect have majority of population yet the power is concentrated in hands of one minor sect. Confessional democracy could solve that problem by establishing from which sect president, prime minister and deputy PM should come from, granting redistribution of power which otherwise would fall into hands of sunnis and allocating them more power than they would have in normal democracy. Also in current situation when sectarian struggle is in its high I doubt you could establish citizienship state without someone paying the price. Most probably Alawites.
    Theoreticaly you`re right ,but things will not go that way. Alawis will carve their own state in Syrian coast line ,which they had under French mandate (that`s a plan B for them).

Quote Originally Posted by zg18 View Post
    Theoreticaly you`re right ,but things will not go that way. Alawis will carve their own state in Syrian coast line ,which they had under French mandate (that`s a plan B for them).
    Thing is, things can go FUBAR no matter what. I dont really think that anyone at this point knows what is best and what could stop hostilities from both sides. And independent Alawite state is uthopy, even if we forget that in cities like Latakia majority of population is sunni, sunnis would never give up coast. They would crush it if needed.

Fighting in Damascus belies Syrian government's claim of control

Fighting erupted between Syria’s opposition forces and government troops in the capital today. Witnesses reported hearing heavy machine gun fire and rocket-propelled grenades as the rebel Free Syria Army clashed with government troops.

The fighting reportedly took place in Mezzeh, a neighborhood that is home to a number of government security facilities, United Nations headquarters, and foreign embassies. Many government loyalists also live in the area.

Monday’s violence is the most fighting seen in Damascus since the Syrian uprising began a year ago. The clashes stand in stark opposition to claims by the Syrian government that they are in control of the capital.

“This means that the regime does not have full control of the [Mezze] area,” said Lena, a spokeswoman for the Revolution Leadership Council in Damascus, in a Skype interview with the Guardian. “It was [said] that the Free Syrian Army was carrying out a mission there, but we still don't know. We haven't heard anything from their part yet. But it seems that there might have been a defection in a building there – the political intelligence department.”

Al-Arabiya has reported that more than 200 Syrian government soldiers defected in the Damascus suburbs.

Fighting has also continued in other regions of the country as well. On Saturday, a car bomb detonated in Aleppo, Syria’s second biggest city, killing three people. In Damascus, a mourning ceremony for the victims of car bombings on Saturday turned into an anti-government demonstration and state security forces broke up protests by some 200 mourners, reports Al Jazeera. Coming a day later, the fighting has shaken government assertions that Damascus is still under government authority.

“This is taking place as the government claims they have control over the capital,” said Al Jazeera’s Rula Amin. “Mezzeh is not geographically located at the heart of the capital but it's a very important neighborhood. It is heavily guarded.”

Rebels also reported gains against government forces in eastern Syria. The Local Coordination Committees of Syria, an opposition activist network, said that Free Syria Army fighters had successfully battled the government forces who had been shelling them in Deir Ezzor, reports CNN.
    http://www.csmonitor.com/World/terro...aim-of-control

Quote Originally Posted by kalerab View Post
    Thing is, things can go FUBAR no matter what. I dont really think that anyone at this point knows what is best and what could stop hostilities from both sides. And independent Alawite state is uthopy, even if we forget that in cities like Latakia majority of population is sunni, sunnis would never give up coast. They would crush it if needed.
    That`s the problem , i think the best solution for Syria is a Federation state but Sunnis will never accept it.

Banned user

Russian anti-terror troops have arrived in Syria.....according to ABC news.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrudzi View Post
    Russian anti-terror troops have arrived in Syria.....according to ABC news.
    according to Russian news reports
    Nothing in Russian news reports was found by me so far.

Yay! I found it, it's a small squad which protects the tanker itself from pirates.
    Last edited by geolocator; 03-20-2012 at 06:15 AM.

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

As distasteful as it is for me, perhaps a partition of the country into various peices may be the only way forward.

Its a very sad thing to happen to any country. Perhaps with some space, peace and healing can begin.

And perhaps one day, they can reunite again..,

US campaign group Human Rights Watch (HRW) says elements of Syria's opposition have carried out serious human rights abuses, including kidnapping, torture and execution.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17445148

SYRIAN soldiers backed by tanks have pushed into Deir el-Zour, seizing control of the eastern city after brief clashes with rebel forces that had held it for a few days, anti-regime activists said.
    Activist Osama Mansour said government troops and armoured cars entered the city about 100 kilometres from the Iraqi border from four sides, sparking short gunbattles with fighters from the Free Syrian Army.
    Mr Mansour, reached by telephone in Deir el-Zour, said the rebels quit fighting and took shelter in homes and apartments, fearing that protracted clashes would destroy the city, as has happened in other towns and districts once held by the rebels.
    “They knew they could not hold control of the neighbourhoods, so they decided to stop fighting, knowing that the regime would bring in heavy weapons and kill many civilians,” he said.
    The rebels also lacked guns and ammunition, he said.

Quote Originally Posted by IconOfEvi View Post
    As distasteful as it is for me, perhaps a partition of the country into various peices may be the only way forward.

Its a very sad thing to happen to any country. Perhaps with some space, peace and healing can begin.

And perhaps one day, they can reunite again..,
    Yep, fracture every country into the world into small bits and pieces. Until the only large powerfull ones left are the United States and her allies.

Sorry, but this all stinks too much like European 19th century colonialism to me. The justifications were pretty similar. And everything else - was pretty much identical.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRecon7 View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/as...142229892.html

Someone should smash her pretty face in.
    Yeah, assuming this whole things is not completely fabricated propaganda BS.

Which, being realistic and remembering that there is a war going on, it most likely is.

[SIZE=2]Assad emails: Asma al-Assad, Syrian leader’s wife, says ‘I am the REAL dictator’[/SIZE]

Somehow I belive in this. It's typical for many islamic countries. Wives gain at home what they loose in public. But in general I think the emails could be partially faked.

I saw a video of the 'first Kurdish brigade' that was formed in Syria a while ago, but have yet heard of any operations.. probably waiting for written agreements from the Syrian opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdman View Post
    I saw a video of the 'first Kurdish brigade' that was formed in Syria a while ago, but have yet heard of any operations.. probably waiting for written agreements from the Syrian opposition.
    What are the ambitions of the Syrian Kurds? Would they try to get an autonomy like in Iraq?

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flamming_Python View Post
    Yep, fracture every country into the world into small bits and pieces. Until the only large powerfull ones left are the United States and her allies.

Sorry, but this all stinks too much like European 19th century colonialism to me. The justifications were pretty similar. And everything else - was pretty much identical.
    Python, since I like you, take a look again at what I said.

"And perhaps [size=3]one day, they can reunite again...[/size]"

And was not Russia a part of that colonialism? Or perhaps you omitted the earlier centuries on purpose? How about Soviet colonialism? We are all sinners...As for Syria, it is an artificial nation, though enough of one grounded in history and reality that it makes sense to exist. Splitting such a thing is not outside the realm of possibility however. All states, all nations form, and they all split. Sometimes an artificial split is the least worse outcome. As for the United States, if you've read my posts, I've mentioned MANY times how I think we are heading towards a civil war, and SOON. Its not about favored nations, its about what happens in life. Nations are born. And they die.

History is cyclical
    "It is a general truism of this world that anything long divided will surely unite, and anything long united will surely divide"

@kurdman, since you're here again, mind telling us how Kurds in Iraq are viewing this situation? If the Kurds in Syria were to hypothetically declare independence, what do you suppose might happen with the Iraqi kurdish government? Will they send fighters and equipment to Syria?

Syrian government forces have launched military assaults in different parts of the country, activists said, as Russia said Damascus was making "a lot of mistakes" in handling the unrest sweeping the country.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middle...921238440.html