Two Syrian refugees and a Turkish citizen are wounded by gunfire coming from Syrian side of border; Turkish Deputy FM says "a new stage" will begin; Kofi Annan announced plan to visit Syrian refugees in Turkey.
Ankara declared void an April 10 deadline for Syria to pull back its troops after three people inside Turkey were wounded by gunfire coming from across the border in Syria Monday.
Turkish Deputy Foreign Minister Naci Koru said that in place of the pullback under the terms of a UN peace plan, a new stage would begin Tuesday.
Two Syrian refugees and one Turkish translator were wounded earlier Monday when the Kilis border refugee camp in Turkey's southern Gaziantep province came under fire from the Syrian side of the border, a Turkish foreign ministry official said.
"After this incident the Syrian Charge d'Affaires in Ankara was called and we demanded an end to this," the official said.
Turkish security forces increased their presence in the border area, which it was keeping open to Syrian refugees, Turkish daily Hurriyet reported.
Mohammad Abdelqader, a refugee in the camp who said he had witnessed the shootings, said two Syrians had been killed and two more had been wounded in the attack. ******* could not immediately confirm that report.