Thread: Protests in Syria - Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by One? View Post
    In Syria, Lebanon’s Most Wanted Sunni Terrorist Blows Himself Up

[LEFT][*******#000000]
    By Aryn Baker and Rami Aysha/Beirut

When one of Lebanon’s most wanted terrorists kills himself while planting a bomb it is cause for at least some sort of grim celebration. But when the chief bomb-maker of the country’s most notorious terror group self detonates while helping rebels fight in Syria, it is cause for concern.

TIME has learned that Abdel Ghani Jawhar, one of the leaders of the Sunni fundamentalist terror group Fatah al-Islam, died in the Syrian city of Qsair on Friday night. The founding cleric of Fatah al Islam, Sheikh Osama al Shihabi, confirmed Jawhar’s death to TIME with a quote from the Koran: “‘We are for God and to him we return.’ We as Mujahideen are used to being killed and if God wants to give those killed dignity he gives them martyrdom. This is the path of righteousness.”

Read more: http://globalspin.blogs.time.com/201...#ixzz1suvA5LL9

[/COLOR][/LEFT]
    Good. If he killed UN peacekeepers, this is karma. The FSA shouldn't align itself with Muslim radicals. It just sullies their reputation and credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    Good. If he killed UN peacekeepers, this is karma. The FSA shouldn't align itself with Muslim radicals. It just sullies their reputation and credibility.
    Seriously dude ........ FSA are the Muslim radicals!!

Quote Originally Posted by One? View Post
    In Syria, Lebanon’s Most Wanted Sunni Terrorist Blows Himself Up

[LEFT][*******#000000]
    By Aryn Baker and Rami Aysha/Beirut

When one of Lebanon’s most wanted terrorists kills himself while planting a bomb it is cause for at least some sort of grim celebration. But when the chief bomb-maker of the country’s most notorious terror group self detonates while helping rebels fight in Syria, it is cause for concern.

TIME has learned that Abdel Ghani Jawhar, one of the leaders of the Sunni fundamentalist terror group Fatah al-Islam, died in the Syrian city of Qsair on Friday night. The founding cleric of Fatah al Islam, Sheikh Osama al Shihabi, confirmed Jawhar’s death to TIME with a quote from the Koran: “‘We are for God and to him we return.’ We as Mujahideen are used to being killed and if God wants to give those killed dignity he gives them martyrdom. This is the path of righteousness.”

Read more: http://globalspin.blogs.time.com/201...#ixzz1suvA5LL9

[/COLOR][/LEFT]
    Allah akhbar ! What?! no video?

Quote Originally Posted by themacedonian View Post
    Allah akhbar ! What?! no video?
    Hahahaha

x1234

Quote Originally Posted by themacedonian View Post
    Seriously dude ........ FSA are the Muslim radicals!!
    Okay...

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by flamming_python View Post
    hahahaha

x1234
    :d !

Banned user

Okay...
    You still believe that they are saints fighting for democracy? Come on, you cant really be that naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyusu View Post
    You still believe that they are saints fighting for democracy? Come on, you cant really be that naive.
    Never said they were. I just think the Syrian population has a right to self-determination and basic human rights. They're not receiving either, and the FSA is a result. Problem started with the government.

Never said they were. I just think the Syrian population has a right to self-determination and basic human rights. They're not receiving either, and the FSA is a result. Problem started with the government.
    Like I already said, changing the regime won't fulfil this right, as the extremist aspect of the rebels will be the side which asserts it's authority. The populace still won't have self determination and basic human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by tea drinker View Post
    Like I already said, changing the regime won't fulfil this right, as the extremist aspect of the rebels will be the side which asserts it's authority. The populace still won't have self determination and basic human rights.
    You're right. Even if Assad falls, it could just turn into chaos with no one group in power. The FSA can easily be out-maneuvered politically by the Muslim Brotherhood or some other group because they have more money and experience with regime change. I still think there needs to be a cessation in violence and that Assad's daily massacres needs to be stopped. I can't fault the opposition for trying. I don't think any human being should be forced to just lay down and take it.

Infinite point of chaos, in silent contemplation

You're right. Even if Assad falls, it could just turn into chaos with no one group in power. The FSA can easily be out-maneuvered politically by the Muslim Brotherhood or some other group because they have more money and experience with regime change. I still think there needs to be a cessation in violence and that Assad's daily massacres needs to be stopped. I can't fault the opposition for trying. I don't think any human being should be forced to just lay down and take it.
    Indeed, however this course of action conditions the termination of armed activity of all involved sides, both the legitimate Syrian army and the FSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod View Post
    Indeed, however this course of action conditions the termination of armed activity of all involved sides, both the legitimate Syrian army and the FSA.
    Couldn't agree more. I hope I see both sides stop offensive operations soon. The people of Syria need to be allowed to gather peacefully and be free from fear. I don't think the Assad regime is ever going to allow it without massive international pressure. I think it all hinges on Russia at the moment. Human rights issues also need to be addressed. People forget that torture is a common practice in the security forces. This is a country who's harbored Nazi war criminal Alois Brunner for decades so they could hire him as an "advisor" on repression and torture techniques.

(CNN) -- Heavy shelling hit the Syrian city of Hama on Monday, opposition activists said, days after the U.N. Security Council voted to send as many as 300 observers to monitor a tenuous cease-fire.
    At least 80 people were killed Monday in Syria, 50 of them in Hama and 21 in Idlib, according the Local Coordination Committees of Syria, a network of opposition activists. Dozens of people were also wounded in Hama, which was visited Sunday by international observers, the group said.
    Elsewhere in the city, security forces opened fire to disperse a demonstration, the Local Coordination Committees said.
    Explosions also rocked the devastated city of Homs early Monday, shaking the neighborhoods of Baba Amr and Inshaat.
    International pressure on Damascus has been mounting. European Union foreign ministers agreed to ban the export of goods and technology that might be used by Damascus to produce chemical or biological weapons. Also banned was the export of luxury goods to Syria, according to a news release issued Monday by Britain's Foreign Secretary William Hague.
    U.N. to send more monitors to Syria UN approves expanding Syrian mission Syrian activist on UN action Day of defiance in Syria
    The U.N. Security Council voted unanimously Saturday to authorize up to 300 unarmed military monitors to try to bring the Syria government into compliance with a cease-fire imposed this month.
    Though they agreed on the observer mission, Russia and China, two permanent countries on the 15-member council, have quashed attempts to take tougher action against the Syrian regime.
    U.N. Russian Ambassador Vitaly Churkin spoke to Christiane Amanpour, CNN's chief international correspondent, on Monday about his country's position.
    "As a matter of principle, we believe that the U.N. Security Council is not about regime change. We believe that ... if there is crisis in a country, the role of the international community should be to help the parties involved to find a political, peaceful way out of this crisis," he said.
    "And when we saw some of the resolutions, which included sanctions, we knew that those were resolutions, which were heading in the direction of regime change by force, which would, in turn, lead only to much more bloodshed in Syria."
    Churkin stressed a need to stop the violence and establish a political process.
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/23/world/...est/index.html

So another month has passed and no change in sight.

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maximmmm View Post
    I think maybe some other Russians subconsciously have the same feeling.

There's nothing subconcious about it

This isnt about Syria at all. Its Chechnya, its Yugoslavia