Page 13 of 546 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314151617181920212363113513 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian Armed Forces News & Discussion thread

So is the new naval helicopter is a replacement for Ka-27 ?

From Latest Air International

Fighting Terrorism and Enforcing Law in Russia - FSB Fleet & Internal Troops Aviation Service

Download

Devils Chariots SLAAF Hinds ( AFM/AndyB )

Download

BTW I had this query , recently they have been dismissing too many people for not implementing fully the state defence contract , since Medvedev did not not like and he wanted heads to roll.

Is this the right way to deal with it , dismissing Directors and other staff would solve the problem and wont they loose talented individual by just dismissing people ?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    BTW I had this query , recently they have been dismissing too many people for not implementing fully the state defence contract , since Medvedev did not not like and he wanted heads to roll.

Is this the right way to deal with it , dismissing Directors and other staff would solve the problem and wont they loose talented individual by just dismissing people ?
    It s always a good thing to lay down the law, but the usefulness of public executions only goes so far.

A couple months ago there was a quiet incident at Sevmash (which makes nuclear submarines). It's director, Nikolai Kalistratov, basically threw down the gauntlet: "You don't like the job I'm doing? Well, I quit."

Everything had to be quickly hushed up and Kalistratov kept his job because there is just no one to replace him. Not because he is some sort of genius, but because the job is so thankless that there are no heroes to jump on that cooking grenade.

Personally, I think that it makes sense to scare the old timers once in a while, to keep them in line, but the utility of such measures is finite, because 1990 produced a generational chasm. There is the old guard on top of defense factories and design bureaus who joined back in Soviet time, and there are young guys who were educated in mid-to-late 2000s, but there is a lack of competent middle management that can take over from the old guard.

The 90's are going to keep biting Russia in the ass for some time.

Ok , Did Putin used to fire people Medvedev did ? I saw many people during Medvedev era got fired for many reasons , the Space head lost his job and got replace by V Popavkin ?

So is the new naval helicopter is a replacement for Ka-27 ?
    Which one?

Ka-226 and Ka-52 are new to Russian doctrine, which emphasized helicopter use in ASW role, with emplaced artillery providing close fire support and direct egress of troops to the coast. Mistral appears to change the doctrine a bit, requiring new technology and new helicopters to rpovide for troop disembarkation and fire support.

As for the "perspective" 2018 helicopter they mentioned, yes, it is likely going to be a replacement for the Helix platform in the ASW, SAR and AEW&C roles.

It would be interesting to see a naval version of Ka-60 as a kind of Seahawk/NH90 troop carrier, since Mi-8/Mi-17 are just too big for ship use.

Ok , Did Putin used to fire people Medvedev did ? I saw many people during Medvedev era got fired for many reasons , the Space head lost his job and got replace by V Popavkin ?
    It wasn't as public, to be certain.

However, I don't think the number of people fired by Medvedev is THAT big. Solomonov lost his job for Bulava failures, a couple of people were fired from Khrunichev for Proton-M/Glonass failure. Roscosmos chief Perminiv was fired as a public whipping boy. Some people were reprimanded. But it is not really a total sweep that people make it out to be. It's just more public, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by artjomh View Post
    Which one?
    Yes I mean the prespective new helicopter by 2018. To replace the Ka-27 directly you need a 10 - 12 T chopper , Ka-60 are in 6 T class.

Russia details plan to buy 1,000 military helicopters

Russia's defence ministry will buy more than 1,000 new military rotorcraft by the end of this decade, according to Dmitry Petrov, general director of the Russian Helicopters industry group.

While he declined to give an exact number, Petrov says a production plan for the "immediate future" has been accepted by the customer in accordance with Moscow's State Armament Programme 2020.

The agreement calls for "a little over" 100 military helicopter deliveries this year, with the rate to proceed at between 120 and 160 aircraft annually in the coming years, Petrov says. While not all of the expected sales have been turned into firm contracts yet, the defence ministry is expected to finalise several more "quasi-firm" orders later this year.

Following calls from its suppliers, the ministry has moved away from its standard practice of awarding one-year contracts. Instead, it will make long-term agreements with five final assembly plants, in ****niev, Kazan, Kumertau, Rostov-on-Don and Ulan-Ude. The first such deal, made with the Rostvertol plant in Rostov-on-Don, was recently signed linked to the Mi-26, Mi-28N and Mi-35M.

According to Petrov, a new helicopter will be available for the Russian navy in 2017-18, with Kamov having already received the required specifications. The same design house will produce "navalised" versions of its Ka-52 reconnaissance and attack and Ka-226 utility helicopters for the service as an interim measure.

Moscow has also allocated funding to develop a Mi-171A2 transport, which Petrov says should obtain certification in 2014. It will also support the use of the Mi-34S1 to support the development of technologies for unmanned helicopters.

Banned user

I've heard an alternative view... the lack of skilled professionals, engineers, and technicians is so severe - needed production volumes cannot be satisfied, which led to 2011 GosOboronZakaz fall-through. Brain drain taking its toll on OPK. Obviously firing a few managers isn't going to solve the problem. Can you share some insight on this Artjom?

peace to this young warrior without the sound of guns

Quote Originally Posted by Russianlynxy View Post
    I've heard an alternative view... the lack of skilled professionals, engineers, and technicians is so severe - needed production volumes cannot be satisfied, which led to 2011 GosOboronZakaz fall-through. Brain drain taking its toll on OPK. Obviously firing a few managers isn't going to solve the problem. Can you share some insight on this Artjom?
    That doesn't quite explain it all. If we are talking about designing new products etc. Brain drain is certainly an issue but you should still be able to run your production lines for existing products. These factories have capacities with labor and ( parts as the limiting factors). if the they are booked over capacity, then that should serve as an explanation but from what I gather, that's not the case.
    How come foreign orders are finished relatively quicker than domestic ones? There is definitely a disbursement problem in MOD me thinks (hints of corruption)

U.S. missile defense in Europe 'real threat' to Russia - General Staff

The situation completely changes with the realization of the third and fourth stages of the missile defense," said Lt. Gen. Andrei Tretyak, head of the General Staff Main Operations Directorate. "Four hundred interceptor missiles on 40 warships and a missile site in Poland. This is a real threat to our strategic nuclear forces."

Russia has never had any plans to deploy missile defense elements outside its borders, he said.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Universal_Soldier View Post
    How come foreign orders are finished relatively quicker than domestic ones? There is definitely a disbursement problem in MOD me thinks (hints of corruption)
    Good points. Not only staling, but I think betrayal as well in the ranks.