Thread: Russian Armed Forces News & Discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Maximmmm View Post
    How the **** do you find an SSBN class sonar just lying around? Guess we got pretty lucky.
    If I were a betting man, I would say that the sonar they've "found in the warehouse" would be taken off BS-64 Podmoskovye

How do they maintain positive control over tactical nukes/semi-strategic types , for eg if they have a Nuclear Torpedo or Nuclear Cruise missile , do they have a similar Permmisive Action Link (PAL ) or similar system on SSBN and SSN that are identical ? Or its the descrition of the boss of the SSN to use Nuclear torpedo or Anti Ship missile as he wishes so ?

Quote Originally Posted by Flamming_Python View Post
    "Hmm now let's just see what we can dig up from the ol' USSR military depot, eh?"

SKS... nope
    T-62.. na
    250Kt Nuclear warhead...... next!
    SCUD-B... not what we need
    ah, here, a SKAT sonar - perfect!
    That was funny

Quote Originally Posted by AustinJ View Post
    How do they maintain positive control over tactical nukes/semi-strategic types
    Is that a serious question, or are you working for FSB?

A Russian getting his education on in Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by artjomh View Post
    Better question: I wonder when's the last time our attack subs actually carried nuke-tipped torpedoes.

Quote Originally Posted by artjomh View Post
    Just curious to know , I am sure Nuke must be a very serious weapon before they are used be it SS-18 or just a N torpedo.

But the permission to use it must be a layered one with General Staff and finally presidential sanction required for the job but then in actual war when it involves SSN or a Battle Cruiser with SS-N-16 Shipwreck , a lot of it might be situational or tactical in nature.

So was wondering if the local top guy in Ship/Submarine makes the call , or its strictly General Staff/President sanction to do so.

I recollect reading in good old Soviet days the Commander had the authority and discretion to use tactical nukes

Quote Originally Posted by Maximmmm View Post
    Better question: I wonder when's the last time our attack subs actually carried nuke-tipped torpedoes.

Quote Originally Posted by _GDS_ View Post
    so they are upgrading BMD-1s to BMD-2 level and also denying the BMD-4Ms, thus denying the paradroppable capability by ongoing development of kurganets platform (too heavy for paradropping)... so it means VDV won't get new/modern paradroppable IFVs till 2020 at least (since none is in development).....
    Information not enough.
    We can not judge - what conflicts consider more likely analysts of General staff.
    We do not know who of competitors of Kurganmashzavod, what and to whom had promised.

Quote Originally Posted by Raden5 View Post
    Information not enough.
    We can not judge - what conflicts consider more likely analysts of General staff.
    We do not know who of competitors of Kurganmashzavod, what and to whom had promised.
    Air-droppable vehicles are useful for conventional warfare & rapid deployment to remote hotspots. I'm sure that the VDV won't be keen to give up this capability; for counter-insurgency it's hardly essential but then so aren't plenty of other things that we continue procuring. Perhaps its simply that the Boomerang class or whatever it's called will be air-droppable; would make some sense as it would likely have comparable armour to the current BMD-series; if not even a little higher.

Banned user

Boomerang was a wheeled platform and i think is supposed to be 25 tons heavy. There was a platform named "typhoon" that was supposed to go up to 17 tons. Maybe that will be a basis for paradrop platforms ?

Does anyone know what the last gunboat class that SU built ?

For what i've heard to date both Armada than Kurganets and Boomerang are to be intended like a complete family of vehicles and not like a single item,i.e every basic chassis are intended to be modular and it would be possible to configure it into several vehicles, like Mervaka/Namer or Centauro/Freccia for an example.
    Think about a soviet era motorized regiment with almost three main fighting vehicles and several minor ones and an actual Striker brigade: operatively the latter maybe would lack some flexibility but logistically and economically thing make a lot of sense.
    VDV is a separate organization from Army and so they would be probably granted an ad hoc solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamming_Python View Post
    Air-droppable vehicles are useful for conventional warfare & rapid deployment to remote hotspots. I'm sure that the VDV won't be keen to give up this capability; for counter-insurgency it's hardly essential but then so aren't plenty of other things that we continue procuring. Perhaps its simply that the Boomerang class or whatever it's called will be air-droppable; would make some sense as it would likely have comparable armour to the current BMD-series; if not even a little higher.
    Airborne is not an independent service and does not decides - what to buy and what not.
    But I in general wrote about other - about null information, but not about quality of some armour. Purchases could stop in general on banal reason - Kurganmashzavod an order will not execute.

Quote Originally Posted by Raden5 View Post
    Airborne is not an independent service and does not decides - what to buy and what not.
    But I in general wrote about other - about null information, but not about quality of some armour. Purchases could stop in general on banal reason - Kurganmashzavod an order will not execute.
    Are you using Google Translate or do you just talk like Yoda naturally?

New center for advanced weapons to be build in Siberia. Looks like away form potential war zones and I am looking forward for portable EM guns for Russian Space Marines

in Russian
    http://sib.fm/news/2012/04/19/centr-...x6W7-g.twitter

and in English
    http://www.translate.ru/siteTranslat...x6W7-g.twitter

==========

and here something I do not really get. Why Rogozin said about 12 years of gap? Does it mean that avionics FA-PAK is worse than in Typhoon or F-16 block 52?! WTF?

http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20120423/172990024.html

In processing power of processors it is ~5 years but who is using top power civil processors for smart ammo?! did I miss something?

There might be two not necessarily mutually exclusive reasons for his words. First, Rogozin loves to run his mouth, that's his well known trait. Second, he might be referring to the general state of thing, not the specific parts. Russian microelectronics is indeed lagging, and the most advanced companies, such as MCST, are so strongly hit by a bran drain that they in a way serve as a "farm clubs" of sorts for American, Korean and Japanese microelectronic industries. MCST, for example, loses a lot of people each year to Intel, with which it has historical ties: both its founders, Vladimir Pentkovsky and Boris Babayan, ended up there, and Pentkovsky even was the chief developer of Pentium III, which later evolved into the current Core architecture.

PS: OT, but a funny aside: the famous Russian choirmaster Mikhail Turetsky is Vladimir Pentkovsky's cousin.