Page 546 of 546 FirstFirst ... 46446496536538539540541542543544545546
Results 8,176 to 8,190 of 8190

Thread: Russian Armed Forces News & Discussion thread

A Russian getting his education on in Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by GunshipDemocracy View Post
    Black Sea Fleet
    in 2014 two 636.3 Subs (Novorossyisk already in RN) and later Rostov-on-Don, 3rd Stary Oskol in 2015

Is there possible to transfer subs fro Baltic to Black Seas vis internal waterways?
    If you read the plan for them that's what they'll do. Send them up to the Northern Fleet for two weeks of trials and then through the internals down to the black sea.

@Maximmmm
    hmm I ma not sure but lately I read that this sub was to use Baltic Straits, I was in shock - it is like giving all possible echoes to NATO

is this Verba ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d0b0d180d0bcd0b8d18f-41.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	224192
    Last edited by GunshipDemocracy; 1 Week Ago at 02:26 PM. Reason: added response to MAximmm

A Russian getting his education on in Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by GunshipDemocracy View Post
    @Maximmmm
    hmm I ma not sure but lately I read that this sub was to use Baltic Straits, I was in shock - it is like giving all possible echoes to NATO

Hahaha, yeah. I'm not 100% on what route it'll take, I guess we'll see soon enough. The transfer is scheduled for mid september.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashko View Post
    Rally pilots use dog clutch sequential boxes. Sequential and double clutch automatic boxes are superior to stick every way in regards to performance applications (can be as much as a full second in 0-to-100 difference on some cars) . Stick is more about personal preference and cheaper price nowdays than any serious performance gains.

For a tank I'd take auto any day, just to free up the brain load and perception for additional situational awareness. Tank has a ****load of raw power, so there is no need of being subtle and shifting through (very clunky) gears just to get some extra uphill torque - put it in "drive" and floor it.
    Performance is one thing, but what about reliability, robustness and maintenance/construction costs? AFVs are not rally cars or consumer vehicles, their internals should be as rugged and reliable as possible, rather than relying solely on performance/ergonomics.
    Have the Soviets experimented with various transmission types on prototype AFVs? If so, what made them decide on manual transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by papakaz View Post
    Quick question: why is it that Russia does not have modern light mortars? The smallest caliber Russia has is the 82mm, why is that? Is it due to the higher amount of mechanization within the Russian Army, and consequently the firepower comes from APCs?
    My guess is that the reason why the Russian Army have not adopted a light mortar is because of the wide proliferation of automatic grenade launchers such as AGS-17/30 within the armed forces. Essentially, AGS-17/30 can fill the role of a light mortar by being able to fire ballistically to 2km+, is automatic, easily transportable, and can also use direct fire for close engagements. In fact, I have seen many instances (including recently in Ukraine) where AGS-17/30 was used to great effect to shell the entrenched positions of the enemy at large distances (1km+) and beyond the line of sight.

Has mall ninja experience Sashko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
    Performance is one thing, but what about reliability, robustness and maintenance/construction costs? AFVs are not rally cars or consumer vehicles, their internals should be as rugged and reliable as possible, rather than relying solely on performance/ergonomics.
    Have the Soviets experimented with various transmission types on prototype AFVs? If so, what made them decide on manual transmission?

1) Cost
    2) Primitive tech for auto transmissions at the time (even more primitive in SU, since there was no cutthroat competition in automotive and trucking sector to drive the tech, with the same models being produced for decades and people waiting in lines for even longer to get them).
    3) Simplicity of service. Non factor now imho since all kit got complicated and expensive. It is now a reality that most modern kit cannot be field repaired with a sledehammer and duct tape.

Auto boxes came a looooong way since the '70s. There is absolutely no sense in putting extra load on the driver whose primary function is to get the tank into position as quickly and smoothly as possible. With a 1200hp tractor, does it really matter which gear it is currently going in or how masterfully one can work the clutch? I'm 90% sure that Armata will be auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashko View Post
    Auto boxes came a looooong way since the '70s. There is absolutely no sense in putting extra load on the driver whose primary function is to get the tank into position as quickly and smoothly as possible. With a 1200hp tractor, does it really matter which gear it is currently going in or how masterfully one can work the clutch? I'm 90% sure that Armata will be auto.
    more like drive-by-wire.

France fulfills all obligations under Mistral deal with Russia: http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/746775

Panstis-M - Naval Pantsir in final stage fo testing. Supplies to RN from 2016 on
    I presume this will ba Pantsir S1 missiles not Pantsir SM?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximmmm View Post
    Hahaha, yeah. I'm not 100% on what route it'll take, I guess we'll see soon enough. The transfer is scheduled for mid september.
    I wonder if subs are so easy to detect (US sub in north and Japanese near Kuriles) so what is tactics of using them?! one time mission?)

As for internal waterways - what is the biggest class of ship that can be transferred ? frigate? corvette? destroyer?
    Last edited by GunshipDemocracy; 6 Days Ago at 03:35 PM.

Russia Prepares to Launch Third Varshavyanka-Class Submarine

MOSCOW, August 25 (RIA Novosti) – AnotherVarshavyanka-class diesel-electric submarine, built for the Crimea-based Black Sea Fleet, will be launched on Thursday, the Russian Defense Ministry reported Monday.
    "The third in the series of six Varshavyanka-class diesel-electric submarines will be launched at Admiralty Shipyards in St. Petersburg on August 28," according to the official statement.
    Six submarines from the project are to be constructed prior to 2016, according Russian Navy General Staff plans and become part of the submarine forces of the Black Sea Fleet.
    The much-anticipated delivery of these submarines, dubbed by the US Navy "black holes in the ocean" because they are nearly undetectable when submerged, is a key part of Russia’s naval strategy in the Mediterranean, where Moscow has recently deployed a permanent task force consisting of 10 surface ships.
    The Varshavyanka-class (Project 636.3) is an improved version of Kilo-class submarines and features advanced stealth technology, extended combat range and the ability to strike land, surface and underwater targets.
    The submarines are mainly intended for anti-ship and anti-submarine missions in relatively shallow waters.
    The vessels, carrying crews of 52, have a top underwater speed of 20 knots and a cruising range of 400 miles (electric propulsion), with the ability to patrol for 45 days. The submarines are armed with 18 torpedoes and eight surface-to-air missiles.

Construction of 'Anaerobic' Non-Nuclear Subs to Begin in 2017 - Russian Navy

ST. PETERSBURG, August 28 (RIA Novosti) – Russia will begin constructing a new generation of nonatomic submarines equipped with “anaerobic systems,” Navy Commander Adm. Viktor Chirkov said Thursday.
    “Of course, the construction of diesel-electric submarines will continue. Today, we are talking about non-atomic submarines. Starting from 2017, [the construction of] a new series [of submarines] with an anaerobic system will begin and the Admiralteisky Wharf will take on the construction,” Chirkov said.
    The main advantage of the air-independent energy system is an increase in the ship’s speed and the ability for it to remain submerged when recharging its batteries as opposed to surfacing to recharge them.
    Meanwhile, the construction of diesel-electric submarines in Russia is in progress. The third in the series of six Varshavyanka-class submarines, built for the Crimea-based Black Sea Fleet, is expected to be launched Thursday in St. Petersburg.
    The construction of all six submarines is to be completed by 2016. They are almost undetectable when submerged and feature advanced stealth technology, extended combat range and the ability to strike land, surface and underwater targets. The submarines are mainly intended for anti-ship and anti-submarine missions in relatively shallow waters.

New electronic components developed for PAK-FA: http://www.militaryparitet.com/ttp/data/ic_ttp/6754/

Some interesting claims made in the article.

Dutch semi-submersible heavy lift ship transporting Russian SSNs Bratsk and Samara to the yard for refits.

Damage to Samara, reportedly caused by a practice torpedo launched by a Delta III during exercise

Last edited by Halidon; 4 Days Ago at 09:25 PM.

A funny thing — on the first photo both boats are bow-to-bow on the ship's deck, while on all other they are bow-to-stern.

Quote Originally Posted by Khathi View Post
    A funny thing — on the first photo both boats are bow-to-bow on the ship's deck, while on all other they are bow-to-stern.
    Apologies, the top photo is from 2008 and was included by an oversight on my part. Deleted.

MOSCOW, September 02. /ITAR-TASS/. Russia’s Strategic Missile Forces (RSMF) by the end of the year will re-equip their three regiments with the Yars mobile missile systems to be put on trial combat duty in December, RSMF spokesman Major Dmitry Andreyev told ITAR-TASS on Tuesday. “By the end of 2014, two more RSMF mobile regiments are planned to be equipped with the Yars system - in the Tagil and Novosibirsk missile formations and another stationary regiment - in the Kozelsk division. These three regiments are to be put on trial combat duty in December 2014,” he said.

http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/747694