Page 589 of 589 FirstFirst ... 89489539579581582583584585586587588589
Results 8,821 to 8,833 of 8833

Thread: Russian Armed Forces News & Discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fury 1991 View Post
    I'm banking on it not being much better than the T-90.
    It is a fundamentally new vehicle, completely different from the T-72 on roids T-90.

There is pretty much no chance it won't be a giant leap from the T-90.

I'm banking on it not being much better than the T-90.
    That's very unlikely, since it would've been killed long ago then, given that there were actual T-90AM prototypes which are already "much better" than stock T-90A. Moreover, there are >600+ T-72B3 is Russian army now, which are about the level of stock T-90 - and are mass-produced.

Little use of ever going for new tank with separate production lines if it doesn't exceed an upgrade of wide-produced model.

So it's likely it would indeed go for really new design.

Suspended for infractions

The T-90MS will still eventually be the heart of Russian armor for 30 years at least. It's a good tank.

Suspended for infractions

The T-90MS will still eventually be the heart of Russian armor for 30 years at least. It's a good tank.
    The RuMOD has not ordered a single T-90MS yet. It was conceived by UVZ on its own initiative, aimed primarily at the export market. Current MOD plans look like continued upgrades of T-72 tanks to B3+ standard, and purchases of Armata. There hasnt been any word on whether the RuMOD will purchase any T-90MS tanks at all. I wouldnt hold my breath, because it doesnt really make sense to split efforts across 3 different tanks (T-90MS, T-72B3+, and Armata). We can be quite confident that the makeup of purchases isnt going to be T-90MS+Armata, since that would be too expensive to make up the bulk of forces, and it would require two separate production lines. Whereas the T-72B3 is cheap by comparison and doesnt require an entire complete cycle production line. The T-90MS will only be bought I think if the Armata is a complete failure.

Pretty hard, considering they haven't bought any. The last tanks they bought were T-90A and that was 5 years ago. The last 2-3 years they've been modernizing T-72Bs into B3s (new cannon, FCS, ammo, "powerpack" etc) and waiting for the Armata tank. It will be a much better tank than the T-90, and will be everything that everyone, east, west, south, wherever, has been talking about as the future of tanks. It may not have cool shape giving cladding all around it, but except for that I wouldn't expect anything but the absolute best.

Quote Originally Posted by marat View Post
    20380 ? not 20385?
    I've read that the _5 use MTU engines, so that may be a reason. Someone also wrote that the _5 are almost as expensive as bigger and heavier frigates so they don't make sense when the class was supposed to be a cheap corvette. Don't know if any of that is true, it's just what I've seen written about.

Cheap corvettes are those Buyans made in Zelenodolsk. 2038x are as large as were the WWII era destroyers, and thus cannot even remotely be called cheap.
    I've also heard that as for the engines Kolomna works have stepped in with their designs, but these are either in the prototype stage, or would require some adaptation to do.

Well the 20380 have Kolomna, but the 20385 allegedly use MTU, so that might be why they haven't ordered new _5 but again ordered _0 even though it was supposed to switch to _5.

There are more differences between 20380 and 20385 than just diesels, and most of them (such as an additional section with a galley and other habitability stuff, and reshuffling of the electronics) aren't related to sanctions, so "20385 with Kolomna engines" isn't really 20380. _0, for example, has problems with radar efficiency (they've tried to use a general 3D search radar as a targeting one, which didn't really work) that are supposedly solved in _5, so reverting to the older design simply has no sense.

I have no idea, I am just throwing out an idea why they might have ordered 0 boats recently when they should have ordered the 5. The only thing I can think of is if the 5 has another engine that can't be replaced for some reason, or if it's too expensive.

PS
    I never said anything about 5 with Kolomna engines, least of all that it would be the same as the 0. I know the differences between the two ships and am not suggesting that these 0s are just 5s with other engines. I don't know where you got that impression.

Summary of the Russian Navy in 2014 in one picture (rus)
    http://i9.pixs.ru/storage/8/2/8/VMFR...0_15852828.jpg
    St. Andrew's flag - commissioned in the Navy.
    Green - already launched (tested)
    Yellow - During construction on the slipway.
    Gray - The project is frozen

Interesting "picture" of Grigorovich class.

A Russian getting his education on in Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Teroner View Post
    Summary of the Russian Navy in 2014 in one picture (rus)
    http://i9.pixs.ru/storage/8/2/8/VMFR...0_15852828.jpg
    St. Andrew's flag - commissioned in the Navy.
    Green - already launched (tested)
    Yellow - During construction on the slipway.
    Gray - The project is frozen
    Awesome. Also I'm glad they put the coast guard ships there as well.

A Russian getting his education on in Vancouver, Canada

P.S. Is it just me, or has the amount of "no analogues in the world" rhetoric really been upped to 150% recently. It makes watching every news report a real chore, used to be they'd just throw it in once or twice, usually at the end, now it's every sentence.