Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Civilian aircraft used in war

Default Civilian aircraft used in war

Looking for photos of civilian aircraft used in a military role.

One example is a twin engine light aircraft with a machinegun and door gunner on one side. I think that particular airplane was used in an African war, but I can' find the picture on the web, though I saw it in a book once.

Banned user

Default Iraqi Armed Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post

One example is a twin engine light aircraft with a machinegun and door gunner on one side. I think that particular airplane was used in an African war, but I can' find the picture on the web, though I saw it in a book once.
    Just look at the Observation aircraft and the C-12 series of aircraft, and you'll have plenty of examples.

Von Rosen and his MFI-9 flying in Nigeria...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malm%C3%B6_MFI-9
    http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail....0&IBLOCK_ID=35

(though the airplane it seems had been designed with military use in mind)

An-2 planes from local skydiving clubs were used as bombers during the war in Croatia in 1991. I'll post some pics later.

Very interesting thread. Unfortunatly can't help with any picture.

There are some good pics provided in this link...

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ographs/page87

But for some specifics look up the Beechcraft Bonanza, and the Cessna SkyMaster series of aircraft.

Unicus Ac Immortalis II Dark Avenger's Avatar

The Bonanza-based YAU-22A evaluated as part of the Pave Coin program during the Vietnam War.

Fairchild AU-23 Peacemaker.

Helio AU-24 Stallion.

UTVA-75, An-2 and Cessna 188 Ag-Truck in former Yugoslavia:

1. UTVA-75
    Formerly registered YU-DHF (shared JRV serial 53191), this UTVA-75 is shown as it appeared while being operated by Croatian Army (HV)/Croatian Air Force (HRZ). Hastily camouflaged in the field, this aircraft has a different pattern on both fuselage sides. Undersurfaces for this machine remained in the pre-war Gloss White scheme normally applied to these training machines. Before the outbreak of war, YU-DHF belonged to Slavonski Brod Aeroclub, and it is likely that this machine saw most of its action on the Eastern front. The unofficial HV sticker is only present on the starboard fuselage. Other colouring details are as follows: Propeller blades rear surface is Black, front is Aluminium Grey with White/Black/White tips; cockpit interior is Dark Grey; nosewheel leg and wheel discs are Aluminium, unless noted otherwise; cockpit instrument coaming is Dark Green (FS 34108).

2. Antonov An-2 'Colt'
    YU-BKA served with SZV Osijek during the early fighting of 1991. After the first phase of hostilities it received this colourful 'Tiger' style camouflage scheme in Black, Orange/Yellow and Medium/Light Grey. The undersurfaces retained their original civilian White finish. The scheme shown included White outlined Red fuselage crosses, and Red crosses on the upper and lower wings, worn whilst serving as a paratroop trainer in Vrsar, Istria in 1993. A Croatian shield is worn on the fuselage, with a Croatian flag on the fin. The badge of SZV Osijek featuring the Black Marten of Slavonia, is visible under the port cockpit.

3. Cessna 188 Ag-Truck
    Fitted with bomb racks and a Soviet bomb sight, this Ag-Truck, formerly YU-BLE served during 1991 with the Cakovec Light Combat Aircraft Squadron. Camouflage is in Black, Dark Green, Olive Drab Light Grey/Green. Undersurfaces are Light Grey. Note the peeling Croatian flag sticker, a common feature.
    Source.

LTTE Zlin 143.

More.

Don't forget the Tamil Tigers using Zlin light planes as make shift bombers against the Sri Lankans.

EDIT: NVM ^^^

An armed Bonanza! Boing!

Does it fit ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Civilian gunship shown at helicopter convention
    Want your personal helicopter armed? Bell Helicopter is developing an armed commercial helicopter based on its 407 model. It is marketed to a wide range of law enforcement and paramilitary missions worldwide
    http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/article...heli_expo.html

In a sense, most Soviet Il-76s and An-22s (if not all) were registered as civilian aircraft (with Aerοflot).
    An example from Afghanistan:

Pic from the Soviet Afghan war thread: HERE

I believe the Argentines used a Lear jet for some bombing role in the Falklands.

Quote Originally Posted by G-AWZT View Post
    I believe the Argentines used a Lear jet for some bombing role in the Falklands.
    Nop, just reconnaissance rol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escuadr%C3%B3n_F%C3%A9nix

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post

I'm almost certain that the pic you're referring to is of a DeHavilland Devon(or Dove) taken during the Biafran war.The pic is in the book 'Shadows-Airlift and Airwar in Biafra and Nigeria 1967-1970'(Michael Draper.1999.Hikoki Publications)
    An example of an civilian aircaft used in the military role is the Shorts Skyvan 'G-PIGY'.Used by No.1 PTS to support parachute training.Formerly owned by Hunting Aerospace and then Babcocks. Now operates out of Schaffen,Belgium by a company called Invicta Aviation I think.Has supported both Belgian and Dutch military para. training to my knowledge.
    Last edited by retrobob; 05-24-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: bloody awful spelling and additional info.