Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: List of Democrats who voted against rasing debt ceiling in 2006

Banned user

Default List of Democrats who voted against rasing debt ceiling in 2006

For those interested, here are other Democrats who voted ‘No’ on raising the debt ceiling in 2006, 2007 and 2008, and who consequently have no grounds to criticize their Republican colleagues for doing likewise in 2011:

March 2006:
    Akaka (D-HI)Baucus (D-IL) Obama (D-MT)Bayh (D-IN)Biden (D-DE)Bingaman (D-NM)Boxer (D-CA)Byrd (D-WV)Cantwell (D-WA)Carper (D-DE)Clinton (D-NY)Conrad (D-ND)Dayton (D-MN)Dodd (D-CT)Dorgan (D-ND)Durbin (D-IL)Feingold (D-WI)Feinstein (D-CA)Harkin (D-IA)Inouye (D-HI)Jeffords (I-VT)Johnson (D-SD)Kennedy (D-MA)Kerry (D-MA)Kohl (D-WI)Landrieu (D-LA)Lautenberg (D-NJ)Leahy (D-VT)Levin (D-MI)Lieberman (D-CT)Lincoln (D-AR)Menendez (D-NJ)Mikulski (D-MD)Murray (D-WA)Nelson (D-FL)Nelson (D-NE)Obama (D-IL)Pryor (D-AR)Reed (D-RI)Reid (D-NV)Rockefeller (D-WV)Salazar (D-CO)Sarbanes (D-MD)Schumer (D-NY)Stabenow (D-MI)Wyden (D-OR)

September 29, 2007 vote to increase debt limit by $850 billion:
    Bayh (D-IN)Bingaman (D-NM)Boxer (D-CA)Brown (D-OH)Dodd (D-CT)Harkin (D-IA)Kerry (D-MA)Klobuchar (D-MN)Kohl (D-WI)Lautenberg (D-NJ)Leahy (D-VT)Lincoln (D-AR)McCaskill (D-MO)Menendez (D-NJ)Mikulski (D-MD)Nelson (D-NE)Pryor (D-AR)Reed (D-RI)Salazar (D-CO)Sanders (I-VT)Tester (D-MT)Webb (D-VA)Not Voting - 5Biden (D-DE)Clinton (D-NY)Obama (D-IL)

October 3, 2008: Emergency Economic Stabilization Act, $700 billion increase in debt limit
    Cantwell (D-WA)Dorgan (D-ND)Feingold (D-WI)Johnson (D-SD)Landrieu (D-LA)Nelson (D-FL)Sanders (I-VT)Stabenow (D-MI)Tester (D-MT)Wyden (D-OR)
    So, when you hear the media claim Republicans are crazy and leading the country to doom, just remember that the same media had no problem with Democrat's opposition to raising the debt ceiling in 2006.

Nice. You've shown plenty of Dems voted against raising the debt cieling in 2006.

But can you prove that:

1) Voting NO now is the same as voting YES then. Was the situation the same?

2) That the media had no problem whatsoever back then and does now, for the same reasons.

Will we also find Reps who voted for raising the debt ceiling in 2006-2007 and who are now against it?

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure,” he said. “It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here.’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”

Sen. Barack Hussein Obama
    March 2006

the Irony

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Linedoggie View Post
    You're forgetting Budgie isn't from America.
    I really don't understand non-Americans propensity to comment on internal US politics and things like taxes. Every forum I discuss these things on has a majority of non-Americans defending Obama and Democrat's policies. What motivates them to so passionately defend and argue in favor of policies that have nothing at all to do with them?

This is because:
    1. Americans usually have a lot of good advice for other countries as well. Most of it either insulting or simply stupid.
    2. We want to see the demise of America and Barack Hussein Obama is our instrument of choice.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    This is because:
    1. Americans usually have a lot of good advice for other countries as well. Most of it either insulting or simply stupid.
    You show me where Americans have dictated or even commented on what taxes, policies or politicians the UK should have.

2. We want to see the demise of America and Barack Hussein Obama is our instrument of choice.
    I think its more a desire to be American.

This is off topic though. Back to the hypocritical media and Democrats.

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

This is because:
    Well, he is a Muslim you know. The Illuminati and the Taliban funded his campaign.

What Sen. Obama voted for back in 2006 has nothing to do with Pres. Obama of 2012. He is in a different position and has a bigger responsibilty that goes beyond politics. The whole debt debate is politics and I think the reublicans are not going to look well after all of this. I still honestly believe that they (dems and repubs) have already made up their minds and that they are only doing this to save face for their constituients. Some hard decisions may have been made and they want to show that they fought hard for their cause in order to lessen the political backlash. I expect to see a deal done soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimbly View Post
    I really don't understand non-Americans propensity to comment on internal US politics and things like taxes. Every forum I discuss these things on has a majority of non-Americans defending Obama and Democrat's policies. What motivates them to so passionately defend and argue in favor of policies that have nothing at all to do with them?
    The day Americans stop voicing opinions about foreign countries (the day the Scripture calls The Internet Armaggeddon), promise, I'll do the same.

Oddly enough, you don't seem that concerned about foreigners who would defend Republican policies. Is this still allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Friend View Post
    The day Americans stop voicing opinions about foreign countries (the day the Scripture calls The Internet Armaggeddon), promise, I'll do the same.

Oddly enough, you don't seem that concerned about foreigners who would defend Republican policies. Is this still allowed?
    For anyone who gives a damn, the vast majority of foreigners commenting on another country's internal politics/taxes on this forum are foreigners commenting on the US.

I have never once started a pissing match with a citizen of another country telling them how stupid their system is, on which I am mostly ignorant. I leave that touch of class for everyone else.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by bugkill View Post
    What Sen. Obama voted for back in 2006 has nothing to do with Pres. Obama of 2012. He is in a different position and has a bigger responsibilty that goes beyond politics.
    And whats your excuse for the media? Why did they attack Republicans for raising debt ceiling and now attack them for being opposed to raising it?

The whole debt debate is politics and I think the reublicans are not going to look well after all of this.
    Why Republicans? They aren't in charge. Democrats are in charge! Where is Obama's budget plan? What has Obama done to improve the economy? Again, if Republicans come out "not looking good", its going to have a lot to do with the MSM coverage of the debate.

I expect to see a deal done soon.
    2 years late because of Obama and Democrats.

I'm just not seeing it. Why cant you give some examples?

This is because:
    Americans this, Americans that - you're full of ****.

We have our own citizens who dislike their own country that might be happy to join up with you though JCR.

Quote Originally Posted by beNder View Post
    Well, he is a Muslim you know. The Illuminati and the Taliban funded his campaign.

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

I served my country sweet pea. I hate it as much as you or wimbly (dronetech).

My post there is sarcasm and reflects the stupidity of some of the posts in this thread.
    Last edited by beNder; 07-21-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added "some"

Actually speak all you want on the USA and what we should tax, who we should vote for, I figure most of you fcukers have a hell of a lot worse record in your own countries, voting in Mass Murderers, Megalomaniacs, Tryants, Appeasers, and sucking off Uncle Sugars defence spending rather than manning up yourselves to defend yourselves. I look at Y'all as a woman who's husband has beaten her for 40 years telling another woman to leave her husband because he doesnt open a door for her.