Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Bath Iron Works Lays Keel of First DDG 1000 Zumwalt

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat_Américain View Post
    What would the proposed cost be if we'd ordered 30 of these and wanted the construction for all thirty done in 15 years? Also Nuclear powerplant?
    Well if you could sign a contract tomorrow for a guaranteed 30 for 15 they'd be quite affordable, potentially averaging around $2 billion each. The problem is you can't make such a contract, between Congress and the fact that administrations change every 4 or 8 years at best you can get a 5 or 6 year contract with options, more likely you get less than that. If they put the Zumwalts into the same sort of purchase and construction cycle as the Virginia class SSNs, the first few would be about $3 billion each and the last few would be close to $2, with a downward trend (as long as production stayed at a steady rate).

Reactor would require a redesign. Plus certification. Plus it would have to be built at Newport News (or Bath would need additional invest ment to be approved for Nuke production).

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Halidon View Post
    Well if you could sign a contract tomorrow for a guaranteed 30 for 15 they'd be quite affordable, potentially averaging around $2 billion each. The problem is you can't make such a contract, between Congress and the fact that administrations change every 4 or 8 years at best you can get a 5 or 6 year contract with options, more likely you get less than that. If they put the Zumwalts into the same sort of purchase and construction cycle as the Virginia class SSNs, the first few would be about $3 billion each and the last few would be close to $2, with a downward trend (as long as production stayed at a steady rate).

Reactor would require a redesign. Plus certification. Plus it would have to be built at Newport News (or Bath would need additional invest ment to be approved for Nuke production).

Do you recall off the top of your head if NN built the Long Beach, Bainbridge, Truxtun, Californias, and Virginias (CGN)?

The Virginias were. The Quincy and New York yards no longer exist. And standards aredifferent now. Bath could do it, but its another investment.

Thumbs up

Whenever I see videos like this it makes me think of ants trying to get a hotdog home from a picnic or something. Thanks for the interesting video.

Barcelona (Catalonia, the next state in Europe)

Really amazing vid, I wonder how many wheels does the moving platform has...

[*******#222222][FONT=Verdana]Great video really shows the progress made, could easily be over 60% of the ship on the dry dock alone, with the other parts in the fabrication fabs she should come together very quickly![/FONT][/COLOR]

^^^ Wow, who knows where I've been but as recently as 5 minutes ago I figured the Zumwalt was still mostly lines and numbers in some naval architect's computer. Thanks for the posts and video.

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    ^^^ Wow, who knows where I've been but as recently as 5 minutes ago I figured the Zumwalt was still mostly lines and numbers in some naval architect's computer. Thanks for the posts and video.
    Given that the program has been cancelled and renamed and restarted two or three times it's understandable.

So my question is...why are we still buying Burkes?

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat_Américain View Post
    So my question is...why are we still buying Burkes?
    Because the Zumwalts are too expensive. That's why it was cut from 28-ish to 7 units and now to 3. The plan was to limit it to 3 units and then go back to Flight III Burkes to save money, but because they interrupted they production schedule, and want to add features, projected costs for a Flight III Burke have now exploded to the point where they think they may be even more expensive than the Zumwalts. ****ing amateurs and fvkcing politics.

So if the Flight III Burke cost more will it cost even more to build more Zumwalts or is the line still open?

Edit: then you have to think about the economy of scale for the Zumwalts, the tech is already done and paided for.
    Last edited by Jdam1; 04-01-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdam1 View Post
    So if the Flight III Burke cost more will it even more to build even Zumwalts or is the line still open for the parts right now?

Edit: then you have to think about the economy of scale for the Zumwalts, the tech is already done and paided for.
    As far as I know they're still in the, "WTF do we do now?" phase.

**** you 20122. how goes does gaz type drunk? dricl. man Hellfish's Avatar

I wonder if it would be feasible and/or affordable to build Burkes without AEGIS/SPY-1. By that, I mean something like an updated Spruance/multimission destroyer. No Aegis, maybe only one 64-cell VLS for ASROC, ESSM, Tomahawk and Harpoon. Weight/space savings might allow you to dual-role the helo hangar as a multimission bay for USV/UWVs or SEALs or whatever. This destroyer would be oriented to ASW and strike warfare as opposed to the AAW/BMD specializations of the Burkes.

Entirely possible, with the caveat that the Burkes are already pretty "multimission" as-is, but not recommended. Without AEGIS to defend themselves, your Strike Burkes would be exponentially more vulnerable than the standard Flight IIa. You'd save on the cost/weight of SPY, but unless you made a serious investment to redesign the deckhouse you wouldn't be able to take advantage of that additional weight. Not to mention, even a reduced, lighter-weight radar and combat system would need development and testing. Lots of time and money to cover a slightly expanded ASW and Strike role in a much more vulnerable Destroyer.