Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: Bath Iron Works Lays Keel of First DDG 1000 Zumwalt

[*******#222222][FONT=Verdana]Must have read my mind, I was wondering how the Zumwalt was progressing [/FONT][/COLOR]

I'd gladly post more if BIW made more available. With a big multi-year buy contract coming up you'd think they'd be advertising themselves more, but I guess their lobbying efforts are focused elsewhere.

For a stealthy secret ship... it's a bit exposed atm.....

peace to this young warrior without the sound of guns

What a massive piece of engineering. 'cant wait for it to set sail

Quote Originally Posted by Halidon View Post
    I'd gladly post more if BIW made more available. With a big multi-year buy contract coming up you'd think they'd be advertising themselves more, but I guess their lobbying efforts are focused elsewhere.
    [*******#222222][FONT=Verdana]If the large rise in costs of the burkes are true you would think they would advertise the Zumwalt just to let people know they have other options, I wonder if they would have more luck selling it as a cruiser and a replacement for the Ticonderoga class.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Purveyor of intelligent reading material Lt-Col A. Tack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Halidon View Post
    June 8th image of the future Zumwalt in progress.
    You can see the composite hangar structure made its barge trip successfully; the module is sitting on the far left, already unwrapped and waiting for the day it will be lifted into place.
    Many thanks for the excellent pic posts, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdam1 View Post
    If the large rise in costs of the burkes are true you would think they would advertise the Zumwalt just to let people know they have other options, I wonder if they would have more luck selling it as a cruiser and a replacement for the Ticonderoga class.
    Interesting idea. I admit, I've become less of a critic and more of a fan as this ship progresses. Quite a bit of new technology. Artillery support from sea is kind of a neat concept. Won't ever replace missiles for land attack, but I think it may offer some advantages. I'm not sure we have a need for many more of the AGS versions, but maybe other variations could be developed?

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lt-Col A. Tack View Post
    Many thanks for the excellent pic posts, sir.

Interesting idea. I admit, I've become less of a critic and more of a fan as this ship progresses. Quite a bit of new technology. Artillery support from sea is kind of a neat concept. Won't ever replace missiles for land attack, but I think it may offer some advantages. I'm not sure we have a need for many more of the AGS versions, but maybe other variations could be developed?
    They were originally suppose to be the DD-21 and CG-21. DD-21 eventually became the Zumwalt while CG-21 got canned years ago. Like Spruance/Ticonderoga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SC-21_(United_States)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    They were originally suppose to be the DD-21 and CG-21. DD-21 eventually became the Zumwalt while CG-21 got canned years ago. Like Spruance/Ticonderoga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SC-21_(United_States)
    Very interesting, sir. Many thanks. All this time, and I never realized how closely linked the two programs were linked, or that it was linked to the Arsenal Ship.

Makes me wonder how hard it would be to talk Congress into a new ship program based on the Zumalt; if there was no requirement for a nuclear plant, or a different hull. AN/SPY-2, or 3 or AMDR. Missile only variant maybe.

At this point, the problem is more complex than just convincing Congress to do X. The Navy leadership is in denial of Burke Flight III's problems, largely because most of them bear responsibility for the decision to go with Flight III over other solutions, and those who aren't remain silent or at least quiet enough to go largely unnoticed. There's about 4 years yet to make things change before the bills really pile up, hope for retirements.

Many thanks, sir. What you say seems reasonable. Maybe things will improve with new leadership. Maybe commission a new study.

I still remember watching the hearings where USN personnel were getting grilled proposed cancellation of the Zumwalt.

Nice, when is she to be structurally complete, all sections in place?

I don't have firm dates, unfortunately, but "this summer" for the hull is the target. The last stern module is done or very close to it, that and the bow (which I have no information on) are the last hull sections to roll out and join.

HII put a new picture up:

[LEFT][*******#000000][FONT=Arial]The 387-ton base for DDG 1001's deckhouse is lowered on a barge on Thursday, June 28 at Ingalls Shipbuilding in Pascagoula. The base was shipped to the Gulfport Composite Center of Excellence where it will be joined to the ship's composite deckhouse.[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    Really looking forward to the pictures when the joined deckhouse+base unit is loaded on a barge for the trip to Maine.

So thats the base for the 2nd Zumwalt, the class really seems to be gathering momentum