Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: Bath Iron Works Lays Keel of First DDG 1000 Zumwalt

HII put a new picture up:

[LEFT][*******#000000][FONT=Arial]The 387-ton base for DDG 1001's deckhouse is lowered on a barge on Thursday, June 28 at Ingalls Shipbuilding in Pascagoula. The base was shipped to the Gulfport Composite Center of Excellence where it will be joined to the ship's composite deckhouse.[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    Really looking forward to the pictures when the joined deckhouse+base unit is loaded on a barge for the trip to Maine.

So thats the base for the 2nd Zumwalt, the class really seems to be gathering momentum

Thanks to Google Earth, I was able to get an interesting new perspective on BIW's progress on DDG-1000:

The blue crane in the bottom left is actually in place to lift the prow module onto the hull:

So by now she's looking sharp, literally.

Some nice clips in this video of the ship coming together.
    [*******#333333][FONT=arial]Video shown at the NAVSEA booth during the Sea Air Space Symposium on Monday, April 16, 2012.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIx6u...ature=youtu.be

Nice video, shows you what’s still left to be done, also surprised how up to date the google photos are, always thought the US government were a bit paranoid about these things.

Shipbuilding has had to deal with Satellite Imagery for quite some time now, things which are truly sensitive will be covered.

Yay, new pictures to post.

First, a series of the composite hangar structure being lifted into place:

A pic of the bow, which is nearing completion:

Here's a shot of the last DDG-1000 Ultra module nearing completion in the Ultra Hall (left) and DDG-1001's first Ultra module now underway (right):

And the first of DDG-1001's magazines arrived for installation in that Ultra module:
    Last edited by Halidon; 09-02-2012 at 11:23 PM.

I'm still hoping that the Navy increases its order.

Thanks Halidon been waiting for some updates, the bow has had a bit of work done to it since the last time we seen her, exciting she getting very close to being structurally complete

Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
    I'm still hoping that the Navy increases its order.

When would the US navy need to place that order so that it doesn’t interfere with the supply chain and construction line for parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jdam1 View Post
    When would the US navy need to place that order so that it doesn’t interfere with the supply chain and construction line for parts?
    They could do it tomorrow and it wouldn't be all that terrible, with DDG-1002 still in the earliest stages of production most of the suppliers to the Zumwalt class could still accomodate more orders. Realistically, though, the next likely opportunity would be around 2016 when the first Flight III Burkes are currently penciled in for purchase. Whether the Navy sticks with Flight III or not, the changeover from Flight IIA will shake the tree substantially.

**** you 20122. how goes does gaz type drunk? dricl. man Hellfish's Avatar

I like the Zumwalts (on paper so far, at least) but at $3 billion a pop, we don't need more.

Flight III won't be much/any cheaper than a Zumwalt with an AMDR. Unless it is drastically scaled back in capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
    I like the Zumwalts (on paper so far, at least) but at $3 billion a pop, we don't need more.
    considering the significant smount of design rework required, a flight 3 would almost definitely end up as costly as a ddg-1000.

A flight 3 will have little space/potential for futher upgrades as it is already a challenge to cram in a new radar and.new power generation system plus propulsion onto an existing hull with already limited power genrration capability.

on the other hand, the ddg1000 has plenty of potential. I've read somewhere it generates MULTIPLE times more power than s flight 2a.

IMO, the navy should go for a Seawolf->virginia like route instead of reverting back to a 1980s hull

Purveyor of intelligent reading material Lt-Col A. Tack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uruzu View Post
    considering the significant smount of design rework required, a flight 3 would almost definitely end up as costly as a ddg-1000.

A flight 3 will have little space/potential for futher upgrades as it is already a challenge to cram in a new radar and.new power generation system plus propulsion onto an existing hull with already limited power genrration capability.

on the other hand, the ddg1000 has plenty of potential.

I've read somewhere it generates MULTIPLE times more power than s flight 2a.
    I concur generally.

I think the Zumwalt has great potential. Would be great to see new variants, in my humble opinion.

Also cancelling the planned number of about 20 ships couldn’t have help the unit price of the 3 ships being constructed.