Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Austria is reducing its mechanised troops to 1/3

AUSTRIA, not AUSTRALIA

But we will keep an eye on the Pacific!
    (so - no cuts in the navy)

Hehe, I think I knew the difference between the two even without this.

Although sometimes ppl like myself do seem to confuse the two

Quote Originally Posted by MajorVP View Post
    Meadle east, India, China, Russia, South America etc.
    The only nations in the "Meadle east" currently increasing their forces are western friendly like UAE, Saudi (at least the US gov thinks they're friendly) etc.
    Russia isn't increasing anything while China and India are in an arms race but far away.
    India has invaded austria allready anyway so it is too late to stop them (bollywood loves the Alps!)

Quote Originally Posted by Szarko32c View Post
    Ever heard about T-72? ;-]
    I'm more worried it will become more common when all of M60/T-72 operators go for Leos and Europe will sell most of it's Leopards worldwide leaving continent with 2000 MBT and most of them would be in Greece.
    Yes, heard of it. Werent those that ultra realistic targets they used in the large exercises recently in iraq? Really spectacular explosions if hit I was told.

Austia is by its constitution neutral. We are not allowed to help an EU member by sending troops when it is attacked and therefore can not expect help. That is the legal framework. Most Austrian politicians are crazy enough to expect help even when they do not want to help others.
    In fact, if Austria was in a war situation, EU and NATO will not let a western european state been crushed... Just a matter of common sense. And for the next decades, which country will attack Austria? Hungary? Slovenia? Germany? It's not like Turkey or Italia which share boundaries or are very close to real potential threats...

peace to this young warrior without the sound of guns

Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    In fact, the Austrian Leopard 2 tanks, which are now reduced, are ex-dutch ones too
    Maybe those tanks are haunted. but it's a military secret.

Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    Why are 100+ Leos to much? Austria is a "neutral" country and not part of NATO. So it is alone responsible for self defense. But you are right, we are sourrounded by NATO Members, so every aggressor has to fight them first. And if this enemy was strong enough to defeat the NATO, 100+ Leos will not be a real challange for him.

When the Kuerassier is obsolete, than it is also the Stryker Mobile Gun System. Rapid fire 105 mm, fits in a C-130, state-of-the-art day/night fire control, all terrain, small silhouette, ...
    This an unintended consequence of US (Nato) presence in the region

Quote Originally Posted by Honneur et Patrie View Post
    In fact, if Austria was in a war situation, EU and NATO will not let a western european state been crushed... Just a matter of common sense. And for the next decades, which country will attack Austria? Hungary? Slovenia? Germany? It's not like Turkey or Italia which share boundaries or are very close to real potential threats...
    Austria put itself on a war footing in the east european uprisings in 1956 and 1968.
    I knew a old austrian who was in the Bundesheer in 1956 and had to patrol the hungarian border with old Sturmgewehr 44s pulled from caches hidden for nazi "Werwolf" partisans. Those assault rifles would warp when dropped into the snow after firing

You're right... If I remember correctly, in 1956, the austrian bundesheer was reborn just a few weeks (days???) before the hungarian uprising broke up! But it was more than 50 years ago!!!

Banned user
    Nova Scotia, Canada. Not the arse of the world, but damn near it.

As long as they leave the Bodenseeflotte untouched I don't care. Austria needs to be prepared for an attack from the seaside.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuultz View Post
    As long as they leave the Bodenseeflotte untouched. Austria needs to be prepared for an attack from the seaside.
    The austrian river navy was scrapped in 2004....

Banned user
    Nova Scotia, Canada. Not the arse of the world, but damn near it.

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    The austrian river navy was scrapped in 2004....
    GODDAMNIT!!!!!11

Whatever happened to AUSTRIA StRONG !!!11 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuultz View Post
    GODDAMNIT!!!!!11

Whatever happened to AUSTRIA StRONG !!!11 ?
    On the other hand, they do have austro(euro)fighters
    Even though only in such a castrated version that it even puts german attempts at military self-limitation to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark with freaking laser View Post
    Hypothetically, a tank battalion could consist of as few as two companies with around 10 tanks each.
    Having seen the deployment map for the 'Sollstruktur 2014' post these cuts it does appear that both Pz btns will continue to exist - presumably with 2 companies of Leopard 2 each. Whether those companies remain at their current establishment of 14 MBT we will have to wait and see.

In a suit, with a pipe, pondering how to retort

Quote Originally Posted by pocoloco View Post
    What war that would be?
    Well I'm doubting the Austrians will be fighting Bolivia in the immenant future...

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
    Well I'm doubting the Austrians will be fighting Bolivia in the immenant future...
    See this? This is the face of evil. We have to double our forces

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval