Thread: Philippines to window shop for SSM...

Default Philippines to window shop for SSM...

DND orders military to look into possible acquisition of anti-ship weapons
    By Alexis Romero (The Philippine Star) Updated January 01, 2012 12:00 AM Comments (0) View comments
    source: http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=63

MANILA, Philippines - The Department of National Defense (DND) has ordered the military to look into the possibility of acquiring anti-ship weapons and beef up its maritime surveillance capability.

In its planning guidance for 2013 to 2018, the DND said maritime security is challenged by traditional concerns like safeguarding the Kalayaan Island Group and non-traditional concerns like terrorism, smuggling, piracy and human and drug trafficking.

DND, however, lamented the military’s maritime surveillance capability is “low” due to the unavailability of platforms and aging equipment.

“The Program 1 Resource Manager shall study the possibility and merits of acquiring a capability for delivering anti-ship weapons up to a range of about 100 miles through shore-based mobile missile batteries in the long term,” DND said, referring to military managers.

.... [to read more check out source]

Off Topic: Happy happy and a Prosperous New Year to everyone c",)

USA needs to sell them some F-18s with harpoons

Quote Originally Posted by BudW View Post
    USA needs to sell them some F-18s with harpoons
    Philippines still couldn't afford them.

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Sizzler/Brahmos coastal defense units. And some kind of BAMS system (Reaper or Heron based).

C-802

but then again,those are chinese made,and with the tension on Spratly,i doubt they will sell these "strategic" weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie100 View Post
    Philippines still couldn't afford them.
    Yes it can, it just the way the how they appropriate funds and increase GDP defense spending beyond 1.0%.

For the missile acquisition, Its can be the Exocet or the Harpoon good for shore base.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZen View Post
    Yes it can, it just the way the how they appropriate funds and increase GDP defense spending beyond 1.0%.

For the missile acquisition, Its can be the Exocet or the Harpoon good for shore base.
    I would dislike seeing SOTA Harpoon or Exocet blocks end up in their hands.
    But older blocks or the norway system Poland bought might also be an option. But they will buy Russian I guess. They got good prices and will also like to see China having serious opponents in the region.

If American and European missiles are somehow out of option Japanese or Korean missiles can be offered instead.

What might matter for the Philippines here is the doctrine. If they want supersonic missiles they might go for Russian and Indian ones. If they want to emulate western armies they can go for subsonic ones.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
    If American and European missiles are somehow out of option Japanese or Korean missiles can be offered instead.

What might matter for the Philippines here is the doctrine. If they want supersonic missiles they might go for Russian and Indian ones. If they want to emulate western armies they can go for subsonic ones.
    China also uses subsonic ones. Its not a western doctrine to use subsonic missiles but the Russians are about the only ones with them. Some other countries also have supersonic missile programs but I am always highly skeptical about these systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post

i don't think the speed has anything to do with doctrine.

Coastal launchers with Harpoons is probably the most affordable and realistic option. Maybe modify helicopters to launch them.

Banned user

What bugs me about that system is that Russia is aggressively marketing weapon systems that are made for being hidden between civilian systems.

This really reminds me of tactics Hamas and so on employ. What is the army of the other country supposed to do after 3 civilian cargo freighters suddenly turned into missile boats...
    In the end everyone is gonna whine again because civilian lives are lost (and rightly so).

So I cannot agree with that marketing strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeico View Post
    I would dislike seeing SOTA Harpoon or Exocet blocks end up in their hands.
    But older blocks or the norway system Poland bought might also be an option. But they will buy Russian I guess. They got good prices and will also like to see China having serious opponents in the region.
    Why do you group "older blocks" with NSM?

NSM is a modern and hugely capable system. I would rather go for NSM than Exocet or even Harpoon. NSM is more modern, is much more stealthy and therefore more survivible. Range is more than 200 km.

NSM beat RBS15 mk3 for the Polish land-based system, and the RBS15 system is definitely not a poor one. NSM is also quite cost-effective but probably still too expensive for the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeico View Post
    What bugs me about that system is that Russia is aggressively marketing weapon systems that are made for being hidden between civilian systems.

This really reminds me of tactics Hamas and so on employ. What is the army of the other country supposed to do after 3 civilian cargo freighters suddenly turned into missile boats...
    In the end everyone is gonna whine again because civilian lives are lost (and rightly so).

So I cannot agree with that marketing strategy.
    I guess the Russian thinks asymmetric tactics will be a significant part of future warfare.

One thing is for sure, it won't be made in China, or in the inventory of PLA/PLAN/PLAAF... Older American Harpoon at discounted rate [units that will be taken out of ships for retiring or put in reserve], or S.Korean missiles [specially they are in talks with the Philippine Government for MRV - Multi-Role Vessels]