Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: CA judge rules Muslims harassing Jewish students engaging in “protected speech”

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Default CA judge rules Muslims harassing Jewish students engaging in “protected speech”

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=12698

"A judge has stated that Muslim students who allegedly harassed Jewish students and even assaulted a woman with a cart was engaging in protected political speech.Jessica Felber claimed in a lawsuit against the University of Berkeley that a leader of a pro-Palestinian group rammed her with a shopping cart as she staged a counter-protest to the anti-Israel “Apartheid Week” conducted by the Muslim Student Association and Students for Justice in Palestine in 2010.
    Felber and another Jewish student claimed the University did not do enough to prevent the harassment which included the Muslim group conducting checkpoints around the campus. Students were asked if they were Jewish while passing the checkpoints."

I'll bet if it were Christians harrassing Muslims the judge would have come down like Thor's hammer on the Christians.

who allegedly harassed Jewish students and even assaulted a woman
    Was any of that proven in a court of law?

Do you get to see a written summary of the decision and the reasons why the judge made the decision in the US? Would be interesting to see, seems a rather strange case.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...vKP_story.html

It was a lawsuit against UC Berkley, not against the students. I think if she filed a criminal complaint, that alleged assault with a shoping cart might be viewed differently.

Here's the docket info http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cal...v01012/238502/

I'm looking forward to reading that decision too.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    which included the Muslim group conducting checkpoints around the campus. Students were asked if they were Jewish while passing the checkpoints."
    I'm pretty sure I would have responded to this with violence.

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laworkerbee View Post
    I'm pretty sure I would have responded to this with violence.
    Honestly I probably would have told them I'm Jewish even though I'm not. **** the knuckle dragging a-holes.

Im with you La, I would of said yes.

That as an act is just blatantly un-American and shouldn't ever to tolerated in our country by any God damned group.

Berkley....why can't that hole be hit with a 12.9 quake?

Quote Originally Posted by sgt_G View Post
    Berkley....why can't that hole be hit with a 12.9 quake?
    Some good things have come from there - one of them was O.P. Smith - The most under rated general in US history

The WP article states that the harassment was 'alleged'. Perhaps If the plaintiffs had taken steps to prove the harassment the outcome may have been different although the judgement does say in essence that the uni is not responsible for what private individuals do outside of 'educational activities'.

Quote Originally Posted by geordiemunro View Post
    The WP article states that the harassment was 'alleged'. Perhaps If the plaintiffs had taken steps to prove the harassment the outcome may have been different although the judgement does say in essence that the uni is not responsible for what private individuals do outside of 'educational activities'.
    Doesn't sound quite as good as a sensational title about Muslims though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mujo2000 View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...vKP_story.html

It was a lawsuit against UC Berkley, not against the students. I think if she filed a criminal complaint, that alleged assault with a shoping cart might be viewed differently.
    The Alameda County D.A. didn't charge him. I thinks that's why she went with a civil complaint against UCB.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahnsinn View Post
    Doesn't sound quite as good as a sensational title about Muslims though.
    The first link, pretty much explains the Judges position. After reading that, I agree with you. Not like what was quoted in the first post of this thread. Problem with having to limit a quote to a few sentence of a article, one really does need to read the rest of the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    The first link, pretty much explains the Judges position. After reading that, I agree with you. Not like what was quoted in the first post of this thread. Problem with having to limit a quote to a few sentence of a article, one really does need to read the rest of the article.
    I did read that but I quite like reading transcripts from courts for some reason, helps me to get a better idea of what went on.