Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Delta Force Questions

Default Delta Force Questions

I have noticed that on every picture I see of a Delta Operator in his dress uniform he has a red patch that is in the shape of an arrowhead with a black sword down the middle... does this patch signify that you are a mack daddy (delta) or does it mean something else? I noticed on the SOCOM website they have a picture of that logo along with the other SOCOM units logos but I thought that Delta was under JSOC? Please help me clear this up guys...

JSOC is one of the 4 commands under SOCOM, the others are USASOC, AFSOC, and NAVSPECWARCOM (leave it to the Navy to come up with a really freaking long name). THose other commands are reprsented by the patches behind the USSOCOM patch.

Thanks for the info, so what does the red patch mean?

As far as I'm aware,yes the red badge on the dress denotes a Delta Operator,and I think the origins of the emblem gp back to WW2,to the 1st Special Forces Brigade,which was a joint USA/Canada force,I remember seeing a version of it in an osprey book!Perhaps some US historian can clarify a bit better?

NAVSPECWARCOM----NAVal SPEcial WARfare COMmand

Its not ARSOC. It is ASOC.

Nope, it is ARSOC.

Army Special Operation Command was established December 1, 1989. ARSOC is the Army component of U.S. Special Operations Command, a unified command. ARSOC trains, equips, deploys and sustains Army special-operations forces for worldwide special operations supporting regional combatant commanders and country ambassadors.

^^^ From globalsecurity.org ^^^

JiJoMacLE45, you mean that those two guys were members of Delta and the one got killed in Afghanistan and the other killed his wife then himself???

yeah there were a few articles on cnn and some of the other news sites talking about how there was going to be an investigation into the rash of murders by army sf guys or their spouses when they returned from afghanistan. there were 4 or 5 with a month's time...

Thats amazing that a Delta guy killed his wife and then himself... I understand we are all human but it just seems to me that when someone gets to that level of a unit he becomes an individual pretty much overcome of fear and weakness as well as being able to deal with stress like that.

Also I looked up SFC Christopher Speer and it says he was a Special Forces Medic... doesnt this mean he was a Green Beret?

yeah but having a wife means dropping all of your guards and letting that person in. If you do a tour in afghanistan and are part of the first raids into the country which several sources say went very badly, only to come home to a wife that suddenly says she doesn't love you anymore and wants a divorce... it's pretty rough. in one of the cases, the wife stabbed the sf guy while he was sleeping.

I can definantly shed some light on marriages being ruined by work. In law enforcement we have like a 70% divorce rate. Most of the guys I work with have either been divorced, are getting divorced, or are on their way to a divorce. With any job where you are in a high stress environment, i.e. military, law enforcement, firemen, etc, where you are constantly under pressure, and not just pressure to hit a deadline, but pressure where screwups can leave people dead, your going to run into some tough situations in your personal life. It's hard to go home to your wife and have her relate to the day you had out on the street seeing some of the crap that goes on or in the case of these soldiers some of things they have seen in war. You go home and try to readjust yourself to living a normal life, but what is normal if you've spent the past ten years on the go, picking up and going whenever your beeper goes off. I work with some guys who would rather stay at work then go home at night. Some go down the wrong road and hit the bottle. It's very hard to adjust and for those guys who can do it, sometimes the wives have a problem with it. You try and shield them from some of the horrible things that you see everyday, but they want to pick your brain and find out what you've been doing and when they do find out, they freak. An instructor I had in the Academy, grizzled old thirty year cop, he'd BTDT at least twice type guy. Well he had been involved in three shootings during his first ten years on the job and his wife never knew about them. When she found out she was pissed. I'm lucky, I'm the son of a police officer and my parent's marriage lasted through twenty-three years of my dad going out to work and not knowing if he was coming home or not. I learned from him how to compartmentalize the things you do at work and not bring it home. You have to develop that 'leave it at the office type attitude'. Alot of people can not deal w/ that stress and sometimes it boils over. You have these SOF guys trained right up to the edge of the envelope to the point where they are closest thing to supermen walking the face of this earth when they are out in the field, but when they get back home, they have bills to pay and mouths to feed and families to raise. As anyone who grew up in a military or law enforcement family can tell you, sometimes you feel like your are living in a single parent home. That can get to be to much. Unfortunetly sometimes this stress turns deadly.