Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1980 Norco, CA Bank Robbery/Shootout

Question 1980 Norco, CA Bank Robbery/Shootout

This thread is for one of the most violent, yet unknown shootouts in American history. There is very little information on this incident out on the internet and the only real source of information on it is provided by the Riverside Sheriff's Association. The Wikipedia article on this incident also seems to get all of it's information from this site. Hopefully you all find this to be an interesting read and watch.

[LEFT][*******#000000][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]• 1 bank robbery[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]• 1 25-mile running gun battle from Norco to the San Bernardino foothills[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]• 33 patrol cars damaged or completely destroyed[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]• 1 sheriff’s helicopter shot down[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]• Numerous civilians shot at[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]• 2 robbers dead[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]• 3 robbers imprisoned, life without parole[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]• 8 wounded Deputies — Heroes all[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [SIZE=4][*******#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]• 1 dead Deputy — Hero[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/LEFT]
    Here's the article:
    http://www.rcdsa.org/norcorobbery/robbery.html

And here is a documentary (appears to be a training film) made by the Irvine Police Department back in the early 80's. It's not the most exciting watch but interesting nonetheless and the radio chatter certainly gives you an idea of what a desperate and violent situation all who were involved found themselves in. It is divided into three parts:
    http://www.rcdsa.org/norcorobbery/story1.html

There was a made-for-TV movie based on the incident that was released back in 2006 titled Rapid Fire. I don't recall it having been very accurate and it was filmed in Canada:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426138/

If anybody else has any more information to add, please do so. I hope you all find this to be interesting and informative.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval
    Last edited by av405; 01-22-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Punctuation Error

Justin Bieber is my idol randir14's Avatar

Thanks for the website, I've never heard of this.

I lived there in '83-'85 and I never heard of it either, thanks.

Wow, watched the movies and read the article. That was on my birthday.

RIP to Deputy Evans

Teegeeack-awaiting the triumphal return of Mighty Xenu

The instructional video has a lot of details like that the gang leader was an anarchist and that they were armed with a 12 gauge pump, an AR-15, an H&K 91 (semiauto G3) and an H&K 93 (semiauto HK33).

Dayuum. A helicopter? Never heard about this incident either. RIP to Deputy Evans.

Ive been through a training class that re-created parts of the Norco robbery on the range. Brutal stuff.

RIP
    1*

Thanks for the heads up on this. Now you've got me motivated to do a little more research on the incident, and possibly even a do up some sort of paper.

New to me and thanks for the post.

Thanks, will watch it in a bit.
    Done some reading on the 1986 Miami FBI shoot-out and the 1997 North Hollywood bank robbery, this looks even bigger.

Trying to figure out if the robbers had full auto as they list the weapons as semi-auto. Reading transcripts and listening to the radio chatter, full auto is called out repeatedly. Was rapid semi-auto fire by multiple weapons confused for full auto? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Now you've got me motivated to do a little more research on the incident, and possibly even a do up some sort of paper.
    If you find any more info, please feel free to post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by dunemetal View Post
    Trying to figure out if the robbers had full auto as they list the weapons as semi-auto. Reading transcripts and listening to the radio chatter, full auto is called out repeatedly. Was rapid semi-auto fire by multiple weapons confused for full auto? Just wondering.
    Based on what the narrator was saying, it appears that the deputies confused rapid semi-auto fired by multiple weapons for full auto.

Don't show the video to Hipsters, they might get ideas from the suspects looks

Other thing I wondered about in the vid was the two morgue table shots of the dead robbers, reminds me of the famous Dillinger photo where the public got to walk by them. Or earlier from the 19th century when dead criminals were propped up in a storefront for view. In the Norco case, do you think these were internal pics released for the vid or pictures put in the paper. Hell, I read the Chicago Trib back then (I was a paper boy for 7 yrs), but don't recall ever seeing pics like that in the print. In fact, the most graphic thing I remember from that time was a snip of film shot in Nicaragua from about 200 yds away showing one of Somoza's Nat'l Guardsmen putting coup de grace into the body of some unfortunate French(I think) journalist laying on the ground. It was on the news one night and really gave me a cold dose of reality as a 12 yr old.

Quote Originally Posted by av405 View Post
    If you find any more info, please feel free to post it here.
    Will do. I need to dig around and see if I can find some contact numbers for them, and see if I can get copies of the incident reports.