Thread: Turkey PM accuses American Jewish writer of double standards on Israel

Default Turkey PM accuses American Jewish writer of double standards on Israel

Erdogan's comment comes in response to novelist Paul Auster's refusal to visit Turkey in protest of the jailing of journalists.

By Reuter$

Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan branded acclaimed novelist Paul Auster as ignorant on Tuesday for refusing to visit Turkey in protest at the jailing of journalists, accusing the American Jewish writer of double-standards for visiting Israel.

(...)

"If you come so what? If you don't come, so what? Will Turkey lose prestige?," Erdogan said in a mocking voice to applause from provincial leaders of his ruling AK Party at a
    meeting in the capital Ankara.

He criticized 64-year-old Auster, author of "The New York Trilogy" and more than a dozen other novels, for visiting Israel, with which Turkey has frosty relations, accusing Israel of repression and rights violations.

"Supposedly Israel is a democratic, secular country, a country where freedom of expression and individual rights and freedoms are limitless. What an ignorant man you are," Erdogan said.

"Aren't these the ones that rained bombs down on Gaza? The ones that launched phosphorus bombs and used chemical weapons. How can you not see this?" Erdogan said.

"This gentleman can't see the repression and rights violations in Israel... This is serious disrespect to Turkey."

In an interview with the Turkish daily Hurriyet published on Sunday, Auster was reported as saying he was refusing to visit Turkey to protest the imprisonment of writers and journalists.

(...)

The United States, European Union and rights groups have all criticized the prosecution of journalists which they say taints Turkey's image as a role model for democracy in the Middle East.

Last month, Erdogan filed libel cases against the editor of the Taraf newspaper Ahmet Altan and a correspondent at the paper, Perihan Magden, over articles criticizing him.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-e...srael-1.410438

Once again Erdogan bashes Israel instead of dealing with the human rights abuses under his rule.

Banned user

"Erdogan accuses" = 43.000.000 hits on google ... but seriously Cam, I give you less than 30 minutes before this thread spins totally out of control

Is it it erdogans job to comment on every single thing that emerges about Turkey? lol...

Let's see...

Turkey is rubbish at football!

Your call Erdogan, accuse me of something!

Turkey isn't "rubbish at football"
    At least not the clubs
    You just have to pay them off well enough and they win

Doesn't a PM usually have better things to do?

It wouldn't surprise me if Erdogan actually posts here.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if Erdogan actually posts here.
    Maybe he“s got even several accounts, that“s why he thinks we are all Armenian in case we disagree

Quote Originally Posted by b0sco View Post
    Doesn't a PM usually have better things to do?
    X2.
    It seems to me that having the Prime Minister of a country getting into a little spatz with some kinda obscure author should be beneath the dignity of PM. Don't they have spokespersons and minions in the media to do that? This story just makes Erdogan look like a tool.

PS No offense meant to Mr Auster. Obscure just means I've never heard of him. I'm sure his books are very nice.

it's just a plot by the juice to bring more exposure to Paul Auster, clearly Erdogan is a zionist agent.

Warder

Paul Auster to Erdogan: Unlike Turkey, Israel still has free speech

Noted American author publishes statement following remarks by Turkish PM who called Auster 'ignorant' for choosing to visit Israel while criticizing limits on free press in Turkey.

By Haaretz

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-e...peech-1.410566

Erdogan-Auster feud continues

[*******#666666][FONT=Arial]
    American writer accepts invitation from opposition leader to visit Turkey; prime minister suggests the two 'have a picnic on a hill overlooking Gaza'
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

Ynet

American writer Paul Auster may be butting heads with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan but is not boycotting Turkey as a whole. In a personal letter sent to Turkish opposition leader Kemal Kılıēdaroğlu, the writer thanks him for his support in the dispute and accepts his invitation to visit the country, Turkey's Hurriyet newspaper reported.
    "I thank you for your kind invitation," Auster wrote. "I have been refusing to come until now to voice my concerns with the treatment of writers in your country. But your letter made me reconsider the subject."

Auster recently announced he will not be visiting Turkey due to the regime's oppressive treatment of writers and journalists.
    Meanwhile, Prime Minister Erdogan stepped up his rhetoric against Auster referring to Kılıēdaroğlu's invitation. "If he does come to Turkey, they should go to Israel together afterwards. Otherwise that visit will be incomplete. They should have a picnic on a hill overlooking Gaza. They should repeat that there are no jailed journalists in Israel,” Erdoğan said.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...186971,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Camera View Post
    "If you come so what? If you don't come, so what? Will Turkey lose prestige?,"
    Not until you brought it up Erdo, and kept on about it... Now it costs prestige!

Quote Originally Posted by Mu-Meson View Post
    X2.
    It seems to me that having the Prime Minister of a country getting into a little spatz with some kinda obscure author should be beneath the dignity of PM. Don't they have spokespersons and minions in the media to do that? This story just makes Erdogan look like a tool.

PS No offense meant to Mr Auster. Obscure just means I've never heard of him. I'm sure his books are very nice.
    X3

I believe it was Twain who said that one should never argue with a man who buys ink by the barrel.