Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Good Military Option For Iran

Quote Originally Posted by Camera View Post
    That is one of the wrong assessments the US made, and I told you few days ago US' assessments in the ME were often mistaken. At least France, did not share this assessment in 2003.

Did the US tried to deceive the Public opinion?
    I am not sure, because that would have been too stupid. Paradoxally the one who mantained the ambiguity he may still have WMDs was Saddam, and played could have influenced the mistaken US assumption.
    I think that doesn't help dispel fear that the US might be wrong that Iran is really really pursuing a nuclear WMD program.

As stated by the US secretary of defence in the video I posted the US doesn’t really seem to believe that Iran is pursuing a weapons program, only opening up the options for such a project. The talks of imminent bombs are from the camp that is trying to hurry up the timetable to when everything freezes so that the options on the negotiation table are more favourable.

Quote Originally Posted by travis911 View Post
    If they get a nuke?
    that will be a good thing for the world, and i hope they do get nukes

it will mean less western neo-imperialism in the middle east, the american people may save a little more money since the politicians may realize its pointless to intervene in the middle east and better to negotiate and trade

it will silence the warmongerers of this forum, that will be a lough for the rest of the intelligent people just to see the reaction

Quote Originally Posted by dignity View Post
    that will be a good thing for the world, and i hope they do get nukes

it will mean less western neo-imperialism in the middle east, the american people may save a little more money since the politicians may realize its pointless to intervene in the middle east and better to negotiate and trade

it will silence the warmongerers of this forum, that will be a lough for the rest of the intelligent people just to see the reaction

I can understand that people in countries hostile to American and Israeli interests would be glad to see one of our enemies aquire nukes, to deter what they see as our military adventurism in the region. Iran is our adversary, not theirs, so they don't see any downside to its development of these weapons.
    But I think nuclear proliferation is something we should all want to prevent if we can, since it's unlikely to end with Iran. I believe a nuclear-armed Iran will frighten many countries in the region, and cause them to want to arm themselves with such weapons. Imagine a Middle East, with several countries, some of them repressive and unstable, armed with nukes and delivery systems, with long-held animosities that could easily trigger their use.
    Last edited by SoSo; 02-02-2012 at 06:22 PM.

The only reason why there has been no military action against Iran, is because its shores is next the Persian Gulf and the Straits of Hormuz. Iran has very limited refining facilities. They export crude oil and import the finished products.

It is in every one interest to keep Persian Gulf area open to traffic and hence no military action.

Quote Originally Posted by highdiver_2000 View Post
    The only reason why there has been no military action against Iran, is because its shores is next the Persian Gulf and the Straits of Hormuz. Iran has very limited refining facilities. They export crude oil and import the finished products.

It is in every one interest to keep Persian Gulf area open to traffic and hence no military action.
    Actually Iran has 7 new refieneries which are either already up and running or will open up in 2012 which means Iran could become a net exporter as early as 2013.

I always felt that Iran was always and will be Israel's problem so let them deal with it. Dont have time nor the energy to fight other countries wars

Banned user

If something goes down I hope Europe stays out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by eskachig View Post
    I'm sorry man, that's not any sort of evidence supporting a large scale WMD program. Or even a small scale one.
    So the Iraqi use of chemical weapons during the 1980-88 iran iraq war and the use of sarin against the Kurds at Halabja wasnt enough. Maybe the reports of chemical detection equipment going crazy during Op Desert Storm/ Granby and OIF would be proof enough. People dont want to admit that alot of the technology for chem weapons came from the west. And about the chem detection equipment going crazy, i was there during both operations and saw and heard it with my own eyes and ears.

Well, it's clear that Saddam had big stockpiles of CW and a covert nuclear program, that was at a very advanced stage, in 1991. Despite their destruction in the 1990s, we believed that a huge arsenal of CW still remained in Saddam's possission. But after the 2003 war, the coalition forces did not find in Iraq the big stockpiles of WMD they expected.
    There were reports that Saddam transferred his remaining CW to Syria prior to the coalition's attack, but I don't remember that they were ever confirmed.

Anyway, if the intelligence assumptions were wrong in 2003, it was paradoxally in great extent because of Saddam's ambiguous behavior. He probably wanted the world to believe he still had important stockpiles of WMD, in order to deter Iran from attacking him and, maybe, to deter the US.

Well, it's clear that Saddam had big stockpiles of CW and a covert nuclear program, that was at a very advanced stage, in 1991.
    That's a no-brainer considering how such a huge arsenal of it were being used on Iran's population. Post WWII Iran is the worst sufferer of a massive WMD attack in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
    That's a no-brainer considering how such a huge arsenal of it were being used on Iran's population. Post WWII Iran is the worst sufferer of a massive WMD attack in history.
    Iraq had serious production capacities and huge stockpiles that were dismantled under international supervision in the 1990s. But Iraq's cooperation was not sincere. Their manipulative tactics contributed to the assumption that significant stockpiles of CW remained undiscovered.

Iraq had serious production capacities and huge stockpiles that were dismantled under international supervision in the 1990s. But Iraq's cooperation was not sincere. Their manipulative tactics contributed to the assumption that significant stockpiles of CW remained undiscovered.
    I just hope something could have been done earlier. It could have saved a hundred thousand lives.

I don't think any military can defeat our female ninja army anyways.... so bring it on!

Banned user

We can drop them right into Iran lol