Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970's American High Leg G.I. Boots.

Default 1970's American High Leg G.I. Boots.

Hi fellah's,

I have a quick inquiry probably for the slightly older American members of MP Net (my age). When I was stationed in Germany in 1973/4, we wore British Army DPM boots. They weren't a high leg boot so we wore black puttee's with them. It was common practice though if we were ever near an American PX to buy American gear such as the trousers and shirts but especially the high leg boots. They were made of leather that quickly became quite soft, they didn't have a toecap and they had a zig zag pattern on the soles.

First of all, can anybody remind me what they were called, was it Bates Boots? And secondly, in this day and age of all things sandy coloured, do they still make them?

Thanks in advance for any replies Gents.

RGJBloke.

They stopped making them in 84, replaced with a "Better version" with a padded top speedlacing and thicker sole. One of the makers was "McRae"
    They were great broken in for normal use but sucked on rocks as the sole was thin. I'd try Ebay for DMS Combat Boot

Thanks for a super quick reply LineDogggie. I daresay if they were discontinued that far back, they would probaby be impossible to buy now.

Again, Thanks Mate.

Quote Originally Posted by rgjbloke View Post
    Thanks for a super quick reply LineDogggie. I daresay if they were discontinued that far back, they would probaby be impossible to buy now.

Again, Thanks Mate.

Don't be so sure. 70 year old jump boots turn up with some regularity on E-bay. Be diligent.

A pair may be difficult to find but not impossible. I too was looking for a pair of boots of the kind I wore in the service in 1974.

Last year I found a pair of boots through a private seller that was in a worn but still in very good condition.

So don't give up hope yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sman View Post
    The specific design is Greek Army's current issued boots with minor changes.

However you can get the previous version which is exactly like Vietnam era's leather combat boots.

Teegeeack-awaiting the triumphal return of Mighty Xenu

Quote Originally Posted by rgjbloke View Post
    When I was stationed in Germany in 1973/4, we wore British Army DPM boots. They weren't a high leg boot so we wore black puttee's with them. It was common practice though if we were ever near an American PX to buy American gear such as the trousers and shirts but especially the high leg boots. They were made of leather that quickly became quite soft, they didn't have a toecap and they had a zig zag pattern on the soles.

Boots, DMS (UK)

Boots, DMS (US)

Your boots must have really blown if the US DMS boots were seen as an improvement!

Zero shock-absorption, leaked like sieves and the soles that seemed paper thin. The only reason I can walk today is that production of the new and slightly improved Boots, Mildew and Water Resistant was delayed and in my unit, permission was given that allowed non-standard boots to be worn. My Herman Survivors (pre Chicomm) saved my poor dogs continued injury.

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    They stopped making them in 84, replaced with a "Better version" with a padded top speedlacing and thicker sole. One of the makers was "McRae"
    They were great broken in for normal use but sucked on rocks as the sole was thin. I'd try Ebay for DMS Combat Boot

Boots, Mildew and Water Resistant

Sole a bit thicker and the tongue gusseted almost to the top, but not a big improvement. I still wear them when I mow the lawn, being that the cat cr@p I inevitably step in is easier to clean off this kind of tread pattern.

Throngs of felines are a pestilence in my neighborhood.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sman View Post
    Thats the ones. Havent worn them since 83 when I switched to Jungle boots for 3 season and Chippewa Mountain Boots for winter.

Teegeeack-awaiting the triumphal return of Mighty Xenu

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    ... and Chippewa Mountain Boots for winter.

Those are some [SIZE=5]BOOTS![SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    When the Army dumped their stock of these on the surplus market a couple of years ago, I picked up 2 pairs for $48 shipped. The box said the shipping weight was 13 lbs!

I admire anyone with the endurance to do infantry type activities with that kind of weight strapped to their feet!
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Quote Originally Posted by shuredgefan View Post

Those are some [SIZE=5]BOOTS![SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    When the Army dumped their stock of these on the surplus market a couple of years ago, I picked up 2 pairs for $48 shipped. The box said the shipping weight was 13 lbs!

I admire anyone with the endurance to do infantry type activities with that kind of weight strapped to their feet!
    Mine must have been earlier versions as they were about 2" shorter but all those same features. Spent many a weekend running patrols up and down Manitou Mountain and over at Cp. Buckner ridges also. And yeah you felt every ounce. Finally ditched my 2 pair in 2009 when I moved.

Your boots must have really blown if the US DMS boots were seen as an improvement!
    Truer words have never been spoken. I wore those things from '76-'80 and hated them. Thank God when I went back in in '83 I was able to get German Tanker's Boots and those old things took up permanent residence in the bottom of my duffel bag.

When I went to USMC boot camp in 1993 a few guys were issued the old combat boots - IIRC they had size six feet or something.

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

I wore them and they were horrible. It was a real treat when the Army okayed jungle boots for the tropical climes like FT Polk.

Boots, DMS (UK)

Boots, DMS (US)

Zero shock-absorption, leaked like sieves and the soles that seemed paper thin. The only reason I can walk today is that production of the new and slightly improved Boots, Mildew and Water Resistant was delayed and in my unit, permission was given that allowed non-standard boots to be worn. My Herman Survivors (pre Chicomm) saved my poor dogs continued injury.

Boots, Mildew and Water Resistant

Sole a bit thicker and the tongue gusseted almost to the top, but not a big improvement. I still wear them when I mow the lawn, being that the cat cr@p I inevitably step in is easier to clean off this kind of tread pattern.

Throngs of felines are a pestilence in my neighborhood.
    It was partly because they were high legged so we didn't have to bother with puttees and being a mechanised battalion in Germany, we didn't do that much walking. When we returned to the UK later on into an airportable role, the dress code was tightened up a bit and we had to start wearing British DMS boots and puttees. We also walked everywhere. That's what airportable really means.