Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Not all civilisations equal, French minister says

Quote Originally Posted by the_Wicked View Post
    [Citation needed]

Prove it.
    Not up me to prove it as i won't take 205 countries each containing between 1 and X model of society and rebuke point par point each one
    Up to you to quote me a single society fitting 100 % of your description flawlessly

Purveyor of intelligent reading material Lt-Col A. Tack's Avatar

Excuse me? We didn't always have modern things, and last I recall, aliens didn't come down from space and gave us ANYTHING. We MADE that **** work, and if we could do it, so can anyone. Unless they are an inferior, backwards society.
    But, but, there was a book ?

Chariots of the Gods?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_the_Gods%3F

Banned user

Cool story. Any other non-arguments you want to share with me, or are you conceding the point?
    No, I am not going to waste any further arguments here.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Roebuck View Post
    What? what are you a chicom bot?
    OMG just because I admit that China is on the rise doesn´t mean I am Chinese! How many years of schooling did you enjoy before you learned to switch on that computer?

Quote Originally Posted by [WDW]Megaraptor View Post
    [FONT=georgia]
    [SIZE=2] [FONT=arial]However, I doubt we are going to convince Mr. Gueant to admit that the USA is superior to France. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    Look, Guéant may be allowed to tell some colossal bull****, but that still doesn't mean he can throw all sense of perspective through the window...

Yes, I'm a chick BearInBunnySuit's Avatar

I assume the minister is pandering to his constituency and supporters or he's just a bigot? It always makes me feel uncomfortable when people talk about superiority of culture/civilization. Too much like Nazi Germany/Imperial Japan.

buck duck huck luck muck puck ruck suck tuck yuck fuuuuuuuu muck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearInBunnySuit View Post
    Too much like Nazi Germany/Imperial Japan.
    Now that's what I would call 'bigotry'. Universal human rights, the equality of men and women, the rule of law and the domination of the constitutional state even over religion need not to be justified and their preferability needs not to be explained to anybody. He who questions the superiority of cultures that embrace these values and build nations upon it, does also question their rightness and universal validity.
    This is not 'racism', it's the truth.

Yes, I'm a chick BearInBunnySuit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    Now that's what I would call 'bigotry'. Universal human rights, the equality of men and women, the rule of law and the domination of the constitutional state even over religion need not to be justified and their preferability needs not to be explained to anybody. He who questions the superiority of cultures that embrace these values and build nations upon it, does also question their rightness and universal validity.
    I just had lunch so all the blood went to my stomach. Hence, I have no idea what you just said. Can you say that in plain English? Something I can understand without requiring too many brain cells, pleeeez.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordoror View Post
    Not up me to prove it as i won't take 205 countries each containing between 1 and X model of society and rebuke point par point each one
    Up to you to quote me a single society fitting 100 % of your description flawlessly
    I didn't say anything about flawlessly. "Flawless" is a meaningless term. Those that implemented more of these ideas or implemented them better are superior to those who didn't. So there ARE superior and inferior cultures. Period.

I just had lunch so all the blood went to my stomach. Hence, I have no idea what you just said. Can you say that in plain English? Something I can understand without requiring too many brain cells, pleeeez.
    I dare say you understood my reply. Zeroing in on language instead of arguments could make you look like an ass, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    The problem is that it falls through as soon as you start looking at what all the states embracing these values have actually done, and are still doing.

In country A, if you commit murder, theft, or another crime that hurts other people, you are arrested. Then, you are assigned a lawyer to defend you, and put in a court, where a judge attempts to review the evidence and testimony, deciding whether you really did commit the crime, and what is the appropriate punishment if you did. Your voice is allowed to be heard, and many mechanisms exist that at least try to make it all impartial (they don't always succeed, but nobody's perfect).

In country B, if your neighbor tells a policemen that you're homosexua1, the day after that your body is found hanging in the city square in a public execution.

Hey, both cultures are equal!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarig View Post
    The problem is that it falls through as soon as you start looking at what all the states embracing these values have actually done, and are still doing.
    No it doesn't. No state has managed to follow them absolutely perfectly, because states are made up from people, and people are not perfect. But compared to other countries? You truly are pampered and ignorant if you honestly believe countries like France are no better than places like certain African and middle-eastern countries.

I didn't say anything about flawlessly. "Flawless" is a meaningless term. Those that implemented more of these ideas or implemented them better are superior to those who didn't. So there ARE superior and inferior cultures. Period.
    Ah i see social Darwinism at its best. Without giving any clear graduation or classification of how you label a concept ito be superior to the same conceot implemented in another country/civilisation/people/culture. To conclude you have no clear way to explain your view but just vaporous words thrown in a internet post. I am still waiting from you to explain me which culture is superior to the other one and how, by naming and explaining your view in detail. Because when you put on the table something as superior or inferior either you have a mathematical way of justifying it, either this is simply an egocentric pov. And in that last case, a lot of people without your familial, historical, societal, background have the full right to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarig View Post
    What violations of these values could you possibly hold up against France? Moreover, are they really worse than what's going on elsewhere?
    In country A, if you commit murder, theft, or another crime that hurts other people, you are arrested. Then, you are assigned a lawyer to defend you, and put in a court, where a judge attempts to review the evidence and testimony, deciding whether you really did commit the crime, and what is the appropriate punishment if you did. Your voice is allowed to be heard, and many mechanisms exist that at least try to make it all impartial (they don't always succeed, but nobody's perfect).

In country B, if your neighbor tells a policemen that you're homosexua1, the day after that your body is found hanging in the city square in a public execution.

Hey, both cultures are equal!
    Absolutely right.