Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 91

Thread: Romney says Obama infringing upon religious rights

  1. #31
    L O L A JCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    disinformation central
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IconOfEvi View Post
    And yet, Denmark was a major player in the Thirty Years War, the most ostensibly religious conflict in modern times

    1648 seems a lot closer to 2012 than 1012...
    Denmark wasn't a major player.
    Wallenstein knocked them out of the war pretty early and they were sidelined by the Swedes afterwards. They got lucky.

    But what I found amazing is that the most christian nation on earth always ends up fighting for the Saudis

  2. #32
    Ramblin Wreck. Spartan10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Metz, France
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fallap View Post
    What scares me, is that the Rep. candidates for the 2012 election. Appears to be on the far right, more then candidates/presidents before them. And I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sneak in; laws originating from religious beliefs and such. Like the constant abortion topic, support for abstinence, limitations in gay rights etc. and so on.

    And whats worse, none of them are as funny as Reagan <3

    It would actually be pretty interesting, if those Liberetarians could get a period or two. some fresh blood.
    There aren't enough of us libertarians to get a candidate elected; just look at how polarising Ron Paul is.

    And why the Hell are all y'all damn foreigners lecturing us on religion? This is the way we are here. Don't like it? Then close your eyes and just don't pay attention to us. None of you outside the US who've commented in this thread know the first thing about us and this topic, so quit while you're ahead.

  3. #33
    L O L A JCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    disinformation central
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan10k View Post
    None of you outside the US who've commented in this thread know the first thing about us and this topic, so quit while you're ahead.
    And I always thought you were from the Caucasus....

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    US Agency for Reality Interpretation. No! Thats not a white elephant you see, move along!
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    So based upon the numberous comments on this thread, future US Presidential candidites should model themselves after some secular-humanistic nation of Western Europe? What are the morals of a country suppose to be? What do you base your values on?
    I find the principles of the Bible to be the only standard in which a family, neighborhood, community, state or nation can truly thrive and be benefical for all. It sure cannot be the societal set-up Norway has? Nor how the UK is conducting itself? Ok, exclude the Europeans, what islamic nation is a person or nation to look to for freedom, liberty and personal prosperity? (out of 50+ countries, there are none I would pick.)
    Agnostic approach, useless. Everyone becomes a law unto themselves, there is no limit to what is appropriate or inappropriate under this belief system. Seems to be what Somalia has been for the last two decades?

  5. #35
    the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Profane in spirit if not in word
    Posts
    21,228

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Moechtegern View Post
    I could be wrong, but when we're talking about a "hospital", you mean a place where people go to get physical help when they're in danger? If so, then yes the government needs to step in and make sure people don't let petty issues like religion, personal convictons, and above all money get in the way of helping their fellow man, which apparently is too much to ask of America these days.
    If we were talking about life-saving medical procedures, you would have a point. We are not, and you do not. If people want these elective procedures, they can simply go to another hospital.

  6. #36
    Μολὼν λαβέ Hollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Stuck in the rain and mud again.
    Posts
    23,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
    If we were talking about life-saving medical procedures, you would have a point. We are not, and you do not. If people want these elective procedures, they can simply go to another hospital.
    I tend to agree with you, if it was a government owned hospital I can see more control. If it is a private hospital I can see emergency medical treatment and then transportation to a government owned hospital or a hospital of the person's choice.

    Doctors are workers like anyone else, hospitals/clinic many are business' like any other. Just because they are in to health care, that does not mean government should have complete control over their business.

    The old expression was, "The is no such thing as a free lunch". Seems there are those who want to make a free lunch a reality at some other person's expense.

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haze99 View Post
    So based upon the numberous comments on this thread, future US Presidential candidites should model themselves after some secular-humanistic nation of Western Europe? What are the morals of a country suppose to be? What do you base your values on?
    I find the principles of the Bible to be the only standard in which a family, neighborhood, community, state or nation can truly thrive and be benefical for all. It sure cannot be the societal set-up Norway has? Nor how the UK is conducting itself? Ok, exclude the Europeans, what islamic nation is a person or nation to look to for freedom, liberty and personal prosperity? (out of 50+ countries, there are none I would pick.)
    Agnostic approach, useless. Everyone becomes a law unto themselves, there is no limit to what is appropriate or inappropriate under this belief system. Seems to be what Somalia has been for the last two decades?
    So, according to the Bible, how fast should you be allowed to drive your car on public roads?

    Nothing? So what should the punishment be for tax evasion or online gambling?

    Hm, nothing again? What does the Bible tell us about organ-transpants?

    Again zilch? Nothing? Nada?

    Even in the USA, you have been able to find answers for questions without the help of the Bible.

    Plus you are constantly ignoring commandments that the Bible has, like you should kill a nurse, when she works on the sabbath or not hating people for eating shrimps the way some hate gays.

    When has the last witch been burnt? You know, the Bible tells you to kill all witches, have you exterminated all?

    So you were able to

    A) make new rules without the Bible and
    B) ignore direct commandments in the Bible.

    There is tons of evidence, that the teachings of the Bible are not morale and that there are much better ways to organise a society than by a two to four thousand year old book.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan10k View Post
    And why the Hell are all y'all damn foreigners lecturing us on religion? This is the way we are here. Don't like it? Then close your eyes and just don't pay attention to us. None of you outside the US who've commented in this thread know the first thing about us and this topic, so quit while you're ahead.
    Plenty of you American folk pontificate on threads that have bugger all to do with the US, hope you go and set them straight.

  9. #39
    buck duck huck luck muck puck ruck suck tuck yuck fuuuuuuuu muck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Beim Barte des Proleten!
    Posts
    15,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wahnsinn View Post
    Plenty of you American folk pontificate on threads that have bugger all to do with the US, hope you go and set them straight.
    Very well said.

  10. #40
    Ramblin Wreck. Spartan10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Metz, France
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wahnsinn View Post
    Plenty of you American folk pontificate on threads that have bugger all to do with the US, hope you go and set them straight.
    I've tried before. I gave up...you know my opinion on the matter though.

    EDIT: also, there's a difference between having a conversation and asking questions to further educate yourself, and lecturing people on things you (general you) know nothing about.
    Last edited by Spartan10k; 02-09-2012 at 12:04 PM.

  11. #41
    no muff too tuff Fallap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Socialist Empire of Denmark.
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan10k View Post
    There aren't enough of us libertarians to get a candidate elected; just look at how polarising Ron Paul is.

    And why the Hell are all y'all damn foreigners lecturing us on religion? This is the way we are here. Don't like it? Then close your eyes and just don't pay attention to us. None of you outside the US who've commented in this thread know the first thing about us and this topic, so quit while you're ahead.
    Thats a shame, but again. The last time we had a primeminister in Denmark, who were not Socialdemocrat or "Venstre" was back in the early 90's.

    Well, thats pretty hard when you are the biggest player and economy in the World! There is a reason why we have live coverage 24/7 of your elections, and a revolt in the Maldives only get a brief 1 min. in the late news.

  12. #42
    Wyatt Earp Trigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Age
    45
    Posts
    5,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seasch View Post
    So, according to the Bible, how fast should you be allowed to drive your car on public roads?
    Nothing? So what should the punishment be for tax evasion or online gambling?
    Hm, nothing again? What does the Bible tell us about organ-transpants?
    Again zilch? Nothing? Nada?
    Even in the USA, you have been able to find answers for questions without the help of the Bible.

    Plus you are constantly ignoring commandments that the Bible has, like you should kill a nurse, when she works on the sabbath or not hating people for eating shrimps the way some hate gays.
    When has the last witch been burnt? You know, the Bible tells you to kill all witches, have you exterminated all?

    So you were able to

    A) make new rules without the Bible and
    B) ignore direct commandments in the Bible.

    There is tons of evidence, that the teachings of the Bible are not morale and that there are much better ways to organise a society than by a two to four thousand year old book.
    The Bible is not a book of state statutes, designed to specify speed limits or penalties for tax evasion, nor is it a guideline for medical procedures.

    There is no commandment which instructs anyone to 'kill witches'.
    If you are this absolutely clueless and biased against Christianity then no one will ever be able to change your way of thinking.
    With that said, I'm going to go against the commandment that says 'love thy neighbor' and tell you to stuff it up your ass.

  13. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    The Bible is not a book of state statutes, designed to specify speed limits or penalties for tax evasion, nor is it a guideline for medical procedures.
    Never did I say it was. But there are a lot of problems, some morale, which we had to make rules without the Bible. I answered to this statment

    Quote Originally Posted by haze99 View Post
    Agnostic approach, useless. Everyone becomes a law unto themselves, there is no limit to what is appropriate or inappropriate under this belief system. Seems to be what Somalia has been for the last two decades?
    saying withouth a god, we would not know what to do. My examples were showing, that we can make laws without the need of a god.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    There is no commandment which instructs anyone to 'kill witches'.
    So what does Exodus 22:18 say in your Bible?

    http://bible.cc/exodus/22-18.htm

    New International Version (©1984)
    "Do not allow a sorceress to live.New Living Translation (©2007)
    "You must not allow a sorceress to live.
    English Standard Version (©2001)
    “You shall not permit a sorceress to live.
    New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    "You shall not allow a sorceress to live.
    King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
    GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
    "Never let a witch live.
    King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
    You shall not allow a witch to live.


    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    If you are this absolutely clueless and biased against Christianity then no one will ever be able to change your way of thinking.
    With that said, I'm going to go against the commandment that says 'love thy neighbor' and tell you to stuff it up your ass.
    I see insults (like shouting or in the internet the use of caps) as the lack of a better argument.

  14. #44
    Μολὼν λαβέ Hollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Stuck in the rain and mud again.
    Posts
    23,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seasch View Post

    So you were able to

    A) make new rules without the Bible and
    B) ignore direct commandments in the Bible.

    Seems you missed the discussion some 2000+ years ago between Beit Shammai and Beit Hillel on Halacha and the Christian Reformation which is still going on.

  15. #45
    Wyatt Earp Trigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Age
    45
    Posts
    5,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seasch View Post
    So what does Exodus 22:18 say in your Bible?

    http://bible.cc/exodus/22-18.htm

    New International Version (©1984)
    "Do not allow a sorceress to live.New Living Translation (©2007)
    "You must not allow a sorceress to live.
    English Standard Version (©2001)
    “You shall not permit a sorceress to live.
    New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    "You shall not allow a sorceress to live.
    King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
    GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
    "Never let a witch live.
    King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
    You shall not allow a witch to live.
    NONE of those are among the ten commandments.

    I see insults (like shouting or in the internet the use of caps) as the lack of a better argument.
    You're not worth arguing with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •