Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falklands: UN chief calls on UK and Argentina for calm

Default Falklands: UN chief calls on UK and Argentina for calm

[*******#333333][FONT=Arial]UN chief Ban Ki-moon has called on Argentina and the UK to avoid an "escalation" in tensions over the disputed Falkland Islands.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=Arial]His appeal came as Argentina's foreign minister made an official complaint to the UN about the UK's "militarisation" in the South Atlantic.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=Arial]Last month the UK said it was sending one of its newest Royal Navy destroyers to the region.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=Arial]The two countries went to war in 1982 over the British overseas territory.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#505050][FONT=Arial]'Colonial holdover'[/FONT][/COLOR][*******#333333][FONT=Arial]Mr Ban's office said in a statement that the UN secretary general had "expressed the hope that the governments of Argentina and the United Kingdom will avoid an escalation of this dispute and resolve differences peacefully and through dialogue".[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=Arial]The UK says it is only carrying out routine operations in the South Atlantic, off Argentina's east coast.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=Arial]The HMS Dauntless, which is due to arrive off the Falklands in March, is among the largest and most powerful of the UK's air defence destroyers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16988614[/FONT][/COLOR]

Straight from the UN's book of non-commital generic responses.

(we probably don't need another thread everytime someone drops a Falklands related bollock)

The UK has too much power in the South Atlantic ? Who's fault is that, again ? Nothing compared to Chile. They could really kick some regional **** !

Quote Originally Posted by Arfah View Post
    The UK has too much power in the South Atlantic ? Who's fault is that, again ? Nothing compared to Chile. They could really kick some regional **** !
    Well according to the latest New York rant from Timerman, there's been a ''four-fold increase'' in British military presence in the Falklands over the past few months, we're using the islands to control access to the Indian Ocean (???), and they get their defence intelligence from the Daily Mail which claims Britain may have sent a SSN to the area (which he claims leaves us in breach of a regional pact which we are not even a signatory of).

Apparently according to Timerman we've now sent a Vanguard sub loaded with nukes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16993391

[*******#282828][FONT=arial]Mrs Kirchner gave a speech in which she claimed that UK "militarism … implies a grave risk for international security…"

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/9075804/Argentina-Falkands-are-Britains-last-refuge-of-declining-empire.html?

Things must be bad internally for Argentina... Kinda hoping they try to pull something and get smacked down again. But I'm an American so this ain't my conflict :P

looking, thinking: lifes too short to dance with fat chicks

apparently all 3 of the airworthy parachute deployment C130 are ready to go....

btw do we have the crews for them?

all joking aside,

isnt the use of the word "escalation" just adding fuel to the fire...?

i.e, now the word has been mentioned, it means that someone is leaning towards escalating.."SOMETHING"?...but what?

This whole 'situation' is just moronic.... As i said on twitter when i heard the 'Call'... there is Calm over here... its the other side that are trying to cause problems....

again.

Out of interest from the OAS.

[LEFT]http://www.defensenews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE[/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin666 View Post
    Apparently according to Timerman we've now sent a Vanguard sub loaded with nukes
    Whatever Timerman is smoking it can't possibly be legal!

Quote Originally Posted by CJvR View Post
    Whatever Timerman is smoking it can't possibly be legal!
    He spends to many hours on Twitter, that can´t be good for his brain ...

'Britain is militarising Malvinas with Chinese mercenaries' says Timerman.....in response to routine Gurkha's tour

I made that up by the way

looking, thinking: lifes too short to dance with fat chicks

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    This whole 'situation' is just moronic.... As i said on twitter when i heard the 'Call'... there is Calm over here... its the other side that are trying to cause problems....

again.
    mate you need to go on twitter and "twit" lisafalklands

she will love you and im sure it will be reciprocated.

i would but my daughter has banned me from using twitter at the mo...(i thnk she is scared!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin666 View Post
    I made that up by the way
    It is important to add that § because the rest is something that could very well pop up at the next Argentinian pressconference.