Thread: DOD Begins Prorating Imminent Danger Pay

Default DOD Begins Prorating Imminent Danger Pay

[*******#333333]Hmm, so I guess when you go outside the wire they will have a time clock that you will punch.[/COLOR]

Service members now will receive imminent danger pay only for days they actually spend in hazardous areas, Pentagon officials said here today.

The change, which took effect yesterday, was included in the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act, which President Barack Obama signed into law Dec. 31.

“Members will see the prorated amount in their Feb. 15 pay records,” Pentagon spokesman Navy Capt. John Kirby said.

The act called for DOD to pay service members imminent danger pay only for the time they spend in areas that qualify for the pay. In the past, service members received $225 per month if they spent any time that month in an area where the pay was authorized. “This is a more targeted way of handling that pay,” Kirby said.

Now, service members will receive $7.50 a day for days spent in these areas. Personnel who travel to the designated areas for periods less than 30 days should keep track of the number of days they are in the area to verify that they are paid for the correct number of days, officials said.
    [*******#333333]Link to full article: [/COLOR]http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=67030

ANZAC Moderator Ngati Tumatauenga's Avatar

That was closed because of the sterotypical "IT'S ALL BARRY'S FAULT!!!!" slant to it.

Which proved to be unfounded.

But play on.

the Ralph Wiggum of Mp.net. timetraveller's Avatar

This is no different to other employers outwith the military .. like when it comes to OT .the HOD has to have a vaild reason to sanction OT due to business ..

mind you you do get employers that will try n be fly and not want to pay OT and give you an extra day off instead

Sounds fair enough. Why give out combat pay like candy when it's intended for those who actually sit in the suck day in and day out. Next up... CAB's...

How is it really going to hurt? not the guys on the ground that actually spend months in theatre actually, you know, fighting...

I think this is more aimed toward all of those who are used to jumping in and out for visits, be it JAG lawyers or weapon R&D teams coming for a couple of days to get reviews from soldiers on the field.

Warder

They also need to review the locations that people receive IDP for, as some of them make absolutely no sense at all.

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

The question that springs to my mind is how much of a burden is this going to place on the CoC verifying time sheets?

I for one agree with this move. Why should military folk who transit a combat zone receive the same benefits as the guy on the ground who could be there for months. I loved getting thirty days for a jaunt across the border at 30k feet but that hardly seems in line with the troops on the ground. Good move by the President and those who supported the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by timetraveller View Post
    This is no different to other employers outwith the military .. like when it comes to OT .the HOD has to have a vaild reason to sanction OT due to business ..

mind you you do get employers that will try n be fly and not want to pay OT and give you an extra day off instead
    REALLY? please explain to us how you know so much about DoD's DFAS procedures. I would bet you cant even explain what DoDs Plan is.

By the way we dont get paid Overtime in the US Military.....

I saw this before and IIRC this is what happens

Right Now- you get "Combat" pay tax free over the month. Arrive in Afghanistan on the 1st of February,leave on the 3rd get tax free Combat pay/base pay for the month. Works well when your on a Pentagon Junket. Thats why you see those seniors arriving for meet and greets. I Left Iraq on September 5th got Combat pay while sitting in New Jersey @ Ft. Dix.

New Pay: Leave Afghan on 14th, dont get paid combat pay till end of month saves money just like eliminating COTTAD pay did.

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    REALLY? please explain to us how you know so much about DoD's DFAS procedures. I would bet you cant even explain what DoDs Plan is.

By the way we dont get paid Overtime in the US Military.....

I don't think the poster even implied the the US Military gets OT. He is making a comparison to civilian jobs where OT is not properly administered.
    Example, comp time in lieu of OT. Or not paying hourly wage earners when they spend time travelling, working extra time etc....

He's just speaking, IMO, about fairness in pay.

...and I don't think we all need to know the whole DoD Plan to understand people want a fair system.

I remember reading about them implementing this before I left Iraq. The idea is to stop people from flying in at 2330 hours on the last day of the month, flying out a few hours later, on the the first day of the new month, and collecting two months worth of tax free combat pay. I know Navy guys that said flat out, their Captain, would order their ship's navigator to plot a course to take them through designated combat zones, so that the ship's crew could collect their monthly combat pay. And while I can understand the guy trying to put a couple of extra dollars in his crew's pockets, its paying the system. The same with aircrews, and rear staff coming in for "fact finding" tour (read, Christmas is coming, and my kid wants a new bike).

In the Winter of 1971 (4 March 1971) Oscar Company, 75th Infantry(RGR) conducted a Mass jump on the polar ice cap and conducted a CSAR ex. With the ENDEX the bn held a Mass Re-enlistment ceremony. The Ice Cap being International waters the Bonuses were tax free. DoD soon after gave instructions that no more such reenlistments would be allowed.