Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flames of War?

Default Flames of War?

Did a search, nothing came up, but that might be expected.

Does anyone play this? Am looking to get into it. WW2 stuff seems much cheaper than the Vietnam stuff unfortunately.

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar
    Plotting to take control of the Cumberland Organic Farming Board. Wah ha ha ha ha ha!

I was very tempted recently to get into it myself, but then I saw the prices. You can get cheaper same scale minis from Plastic Soldier Company (http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/), which currently cover the Russians, Germans and British (late war) I think, with US forces not too far away. And Zvedza so some tanks in the same scale for their own wargame which are (again) cheaper than Battlefronts but only cover the Germans and the Russians. Of course you may want to buy from Battlefront anyway as they're a New Zealand company...

I asked on another forum for some alternative rules that would allow me to use the (siginifcantly) cheaper 1/72nd plastic soldiers and was advised to checkout Blitzkrieg Commander (http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/....aspx?Area=BKC) or I Ain't Been Shot, Mum by Two Fat Lardies (http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php...=index&cPath=3).

Hope that helps.

That does help, a lot, cheers! Price is a major consideration; a friend and I were considering using something cheaper and using the FOW Rulebook to play too.

Plotting to take control of the Cumberland Organic Farming Board. Wah ha ha ha ha ha!

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com

Gives pictures, reviews etc for pretty much every 1/72nd figure set ever made so you see what you get.

Chur chur.

Wow, I´m glad there´s a thread about FoW!
    Some people in my FLGS are starting to get into FoW, now that the new 3rd Edition is about to be released. I´ve already started assembling and painting a ~1000P Late War German Infantry Company.
    I usually just play 28mm wargames (WHF and WH40k) so I had some trouble getting used to the small scale. It´s really quite difficult, since the minis are really small. But with some practice you´ll get used to it.

About the prices: I personally think FoW prices are alright, especially compared to GW. For around 18 Euros you´ll get a full infantry platoon, for example, whereas (I´m playing 40k Imperial Guard) for 18 Euros you don´t even get an Imperial Guard infantry squad.
    For my first 1000 points I invested around 70 - 80 Euros for the minis. Can´t do that with any GW game...
    Also keep in mind that FoW minis are in 15mm scale, whereas 1/72 is 20mm. Make sure to get the correct scale, otherwise it might look goofy if you´ve got 20mm "giants" fighting 15mm "midgets".

warhammer....memories.....
    mostly i remember:
    1. My Bretonnians getting the shyte kicked out of them every single time.
    2. How much time went to reference the rulebooks, and how touchy some could get over it
    3. The Worst Headaches Known To Man™®© after spending a day in a poorly ventilated room, gluing and painting.

I can sort of understand the allure of tabletop gaming, but at the same time, considering current games like Combat Mission Battle For Normandy, you really have to be nostalgic\old fashioned to get into it. My WH interest died off pretty quickly, mostly i liked the painting aspect of it more in the end.

I have quite a collection of Flames of War and have recently started to construct dioramas to battle my brother on.

Cool, show us some pctures.

TK I looked at the plastic soldier site just now and the prices don't seem that different for the tanks and whatnot I don't think. Have yet to check out troops though.

Really? £17.50 for 5 x 15mm Panzer IV vs NZ$85 for 5 x Battlefront Panzer IV?

Yes, reading fail on my part. Stand down. That'll do pig, that'll do.

I have a Nisei company that I am currently using for my Gaming club's Infantry Aces campaign.

Got pictures?

Unfortunately not at the moment. I can tell you they kick @$$ though. They gave me my only 20 turn game.