Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Prosecutors want German President on trial

buck duck huck luck muck puck ruck suck tuck yuck fuuuuuuuu muck's Avatar

I really think Mr. Lammert is best where he is right now.

Also a ball licker Quietscheentchen's Avatar

I just hope the voting process of the Bundesversammlung won't become such an embarrasing circus like last time.

Well according to n-tv Joachim Gauck will be our new President. Merkel has accepted the proposal from the SPD and Greens to put him up as common candidate.
    This is seen as a heavy defeat for Merkel as she was against his nomination.

Suspended for infractions

Another president nominated by her who would drop out of the office would be a greater defeat for her i think. If he is nominated by the SPD and Grüne and he also turns out to be a dissapointment she can always point the finger at them.

Is it me, or does Gauck only get the job, because he was the only one raising his hand? I'm not really happy with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Is it me, or does Gauck only get the job, because he was the only one raising his hand? I'm not really happy with this.
    Yeah it is kind of sad that his presidency would be somewhat tainted now by the fact that so many before him declined. Would he have been elected in the first place it would have been met with much more enthusiasm by the public.
    But that is not Gaucks fault, and what can he do? If he would reject it now because the post doesnt seem that hot anymore after Wulff he would look like a jerk.

In any case it would be a huge blow to Merkel.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I think this could depend what the other candidates are planning for their political future. I always thought being the Bundespräsident is the last step before going into retirement after a long political career.

buck duck huck luck muck puck ruck suck tuck yuck fuuuuuuuu muck's Avatar

Mr. Gauck, as a venerable human rights activist, is the best choice there was.
    I just wish somebody would shoot the drooling mongoloids first and second from left.

Banned user

I have a feeling that Gauck won't let Merkel push him over. He will be on equal terms with her or will even stand above her. He has the personal background, the intellect and the ability to deliver speeches in order to be heard. When Merkel has taken the names of all politicians for the last years, he will hold his own.

While I don't like his heavy moralism, he is one of the persons I really trust, when all of the political caste has been failing and doing backdoor deals with the media and corporations. He won't sell out, won't look for personal gains.

I only hope that he will call the political bluffs that are floating around to suck as much money out of German taxpayers and turn it over to the ECB, Greece and Europe in general (Eurobonds, ESFS, ESM, target2 saldos etc). The German taxpayer need a political guardian, if Merkel and Schäuble let us down. If he does it, he will be among the most admired persons in recent German history.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...ZNR_story.html

ps.
    Gauck urged Germans not to make him out to be a “superman” or a “man without faults,” but pledged to do his utmost to restore a sense of pride to the nation, telling them “that they live in a good country that they can love because it gives them the wonderful possibility to enjoy freedom in a rich life.”

Banned user

I would have preferred Töpfer as an honest statesman...besides there are substantial allegations that Gauck had his own privleged niche carved out in the DDR: http://www.rp-online.de/politik/etap...auck-1.2270119
    At least a German court agrees with that statement, let´s see for how long he will remain in the saddle...
    Last edited by The Kaiser Chief; 02-20-2012 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tluassa View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...ZNR_story.html

ps.
    Gauck urged Germans not to make him out to be a “superman” or a “man without faults,” but pledged to do his utmost to restore a sense of pride to the nation, telling them “that they live in a good country that they can love because it gives them the wonderful possibility to enjoy freedom in a rich life.”
    he sure knows how to talk.
    Guess being a priest helps... with knowing how to impress naive people

Enter Edmund Stoiber.
    http://www.thetrumpet.com/9117.7937....-for-president

More astute analysis from your only Bible-based news service.

@muck: What's your beef with Özdemir?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kaiser Chief View Post
    I would have preferred Töpfer as an honest statesman...besides there are substantial allegations that Gauck had his own privleged niche carved out in the DDR: http://www.rp-online.de/politik/etap...auck-1.2270119
    At least a German court agrees with that statement, let´s see for how long he will remain in the saddle...
    Ehm, your news article is from September 2000, so I guess Gauck is doing just fine today.