Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17192021222324252627282930313233343537 ... LastLast

Thread: WARGAME: European Escalation

Played a few games with Corrupt. Again defeated by cheap ass spam/rushing tactics. How the **** am I supposed to defend against 16 T-72's rushing straight for my base? Use TOW, is the obvious answer, but when those tanks are really trucking, those 3-4 TOW trucks/infantry plus possibly a Ah.7 Lynx aren't going to cut it(in fact my lynx wing got downed by the T-72's)

The game after this I got spammed with Mi-28's, to which my rolands actually lost out(WTF?) and Corrupt got swarmed by masses of cheap 5-10 point units..

In a suit, with a pipe, pondering how to retort

Quote Originally Posted by RSone View Post
    The game after this I got spammed with Mi-28's, to which my rolands actually lost out(WTF?) and Corrupt got swarmed by masses of cheap 5-10 point units..
    Yeah, the problem was in both games, iw as presented with so many targets, my ATGMs were out of ammo and worthless, but you just know if I didnt bring them, the pact would play cautious and start sniping my tanks with their tank mounted ATGMs.

WTF am I doing with my life? Token White Guy's Avatar

No arty to stop them from rushing?

Quote Originally Posted by Token White Guy View Post
    You're going to have a hard time damaging, let alone destroying tanks that are moving around.

1. Horrible unit placement
    2. Still no morale killers.

WTF am I doing with my life? Token White Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RSone View Post
    You're going to have a hard time damaging, let alone destroying tanks that are moving around.
    You don't have to destroy them. Damage/slow the tank rush while you can get your units in better fighting positions. At least that's how it was done in WIC.

**** you 20122. how goes does gaz type drunk? dricl. man Hellfish's Avatar

Straight up infantry in the woods/hedges has helped me stop nearly every tank rush I've ever gone against.

Quote Originally Posted by EdisonTrent View Post
    Corrupt's units, not mine
    Thanks for the constructive criticism though -_-

I've been rushed by the whole team quite a few times now on Hells Highway. I can usually stop them but they are way too powerful, even with a prepared defence. The more players the worse it gets. 2v2 for example isn't much of a problem, but four players moving fast towards your base can be quite difficult to stop. And I always have good arty, Tunguskas, infantry, and vetted ATGMs at base. And good recon as well, for the record.

Im level 10 and Corrupt is 11, so I think we know how to play the game by now.

Rushing in other games requires skills such as in a good build order, and uusually excellent micromanagement. Clever rushes with good micro I don't have a problem with. But what I see in this game is unskilled spam. I've even done it once myself to know my enemy.

I suppose you could argue that the soviets were simply going to rush NATO in the North German plains, so there is some merit, but this style of gameplay is neither fun nor rewarding in my own experience.

I guess this phenomena should be called "spamming". I've been rushed by good players who used clever tactics, and those were hectic yet good fights. This spamming is different from rushing, where a mass blob of units come zoomin down the highway at you using no tactics or coordination with unrealistic effectiveness.
    Last edited by DaveDash; 02-29-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Then maybe the V-80 prototype instead?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeFr3ak View Post
    To make it even bigger they should add the Netherlands, Spain and Italy for NATO while the Warsaw Pact should get Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania as DLC. And maybe the Ka-50 too!
    Correction: Either Canada or the Netherlands. Would be nice to have Sweden though but they are neutral and won't fit in since it is about NATO vs Warsaw Pact.

Quote Originally Posted by Token White Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdisonTrent View Post
    Those pics are from about a minute before the end. Arty was dead, infantry were mostly dead or out of ammo.

Some tanks broke through in the initial rush at me, but my reinforcements finished them off. Problem was, while I was mopping this up, RSones base fell to T72 rushing and I had nothing to help him.

They then rolled up to my base from his. I couldn't fight it, given I had about half a dozen Leo 1s and no infantry or supplies left, so I had to fall back. In the end I was stranded at Echo with no income and no supplies. I just formed what I had left into a defensive circle and waited for the end. Took a surprising amount with me.

Have a replay.
    http://www.wargamereplays.org/index....e=replay&id=68

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDash View Post
    I guess this phenomena should be called "spamming". I've been rushed by good players who used clever tactics, and those were hectic yet good fights. This spamming is different from rushing, where a mass blob of units come zoomin down the highway at you using no tactics or coordination with unrealistic effectiveness.
    This. I've seen "rushes" which produce great results and rightly so. I've used them myself. Rushing is ok. Especially if done right under arty cover at a weak point for example.

Spamming cheap units and clicking move fast to the enemys spawn as soon as the game starts is retardedly easy and effectiver through.

this game is a simulated proof that Soviet doctrine of having many simple weapon systems beats having fewer specialized high-tech systems
    My advice - start the game with many cheap units as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
    Straight up infantry in the woods/hedges has helped me stop nearly every tank rush I've ever gone against.
    I got hit by a clever rush today. Clever as in one that used tactics and thought, it was a pincer movement on my base from both flanks. They bought along recon with them, and engaged and destroyed each unit of my hidden defending infantry well before they were in range to return fire.

I find infantry is only reliable when deep in the woods protecting a HQ unit. If they bring recon with them your infantry is as good as dead.

In the same game I had a guy drive his leopards through the woods and take out a whole platoons worth of infantry (all split up too). HE effectiveness against infantry in cover needs to be looked at.

Infantry has its place in this game, but I don't find it reliable enough. Sometimes it works great, other times not so great. For me the best units for base defence are ATGM's and AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaito View Post
    My advice - start the game with many cheap units as well.
    I had Leo 1s, Chasseurs Famas, M113 RR, TOW Jeeps and Milan ATGM inf. None of those are expensive.