Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Boeing Proposing a P-8-Lite?

Default Is Boeing Proposing a P-8-Lite?

So Boeing says its considering shrinking the P-8 Poseidon submarine hunter into a smaller airplane to replace P-3 Orion fleets around the world, according to a Defense News article from the Singapore Air Show.

“We are looking hard at either a mid-sized platform or scaling down the P-8, and hopefully we will make a decision [whether to proceed] later this year,” said Jeff Kohler, vice president of Boeing Military Aircraft, ahead of the Singapore Airshow opening Feb. 14.
    Read more: http://defensetech.org/2012/02/14/is...#ixzz1mdDMnMDZ
    Defense.org

WTF another "blunder" ? They realize this now, while production already started, contract (with foreign customers) signed etc... ?

A smaller platform than the 737 made me thinking about turboprop aircrafts, although.. maybe it's possible to use converted Gulfstreams G550s for this idea. They are fast and have a good range, but they would carry non, or just a very small weapons package.

Quote Originally Posted by xav View Post
    WTF another "blunder" ? They realize this now, while production already started, contract (with foreign customers) signed etc... ?
    How did you get that impression from the blog?

No surprise - they're losing traditional customers to ATR-based platforms.

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

Several nations have purchased Casa/EADS C-295 MPAs. That, along with other smaller maritime patrol and ASW aircraft, is a trend that apparently has Boeing worried. It will be interesting to see what platform Boeing chooses to compete in that market.

About an hour ago I was browsing Defense News looking for interesting articles, when I saw this headline talking about two new C-130 variants. "No big deal" I told myself, "they're likely talking about the XJ and this redesigned Super Herc. Hardly new.." - but damn, read for yourself..

[SIZE=3]Singapore: Lockheed Unveils Plans for 2 C-130 Variants[/SIZE]

Feb. 16, 2012 - 02:18PM | By WENDELL MINNICK

[...] The SC-130J Sea Herc will offer an affordable replacement for the P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) and anti-submarine warfare aircraft (ASW), Standridge said.

“You take the well-proven C-130J and import the P-3 missions into the aircraft for maritime surveillance and anti-submarine warfare,” he said. [...]
    Article continued @ Defense News

In my opinion, the chances could be very good that Boeing teamed up with Lockheed Martin on the SC-130J. Although it's quite a coincidence on the other hand.. Boeing talking about a scaled-down P-8 and LM unveiling their Sea Herc. Interesting times ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak-Sauce View Post
    A smaller platform than the 737 made me thinking about turboprop aircrafts, although.. maybe it's possible to use converted Gulfstreams G550s for this idea. They are fast and have a good range, but they would carry non, or just a very small weapons package.
    They should team up with Dassault then, who already has such a concept ready

I only wish they used Falcon 7x instead of 2000

They should team up with Dassault then, who already has such a concept ready

I only wish they used Falcon 7x instead of 2000
    Sounds like a very expensive platform if you ask me. And rumors has it India might be interested in a anti-submarine marine patrol-version of the Saab 2000. Why is beyond me...

Quote Originally Posted by lander View Post
    Sounds like a very expensive platform if you ask me. And rumors has it India might be interested in a anti-submarine marine patrol-version of the Saab 2000. Why is beyond me...
    India has already ordered 12 P8I and the navy is interested in acquiring upto 24. Saab 2000 is being considered for medium range marine recon aircraft (MRMR tender), IIRC Boeing proposed a version of P8I 'light' for the MRMR tender.

Quote Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
    Several nations have purchased Casa/EADS C-295 MPAs. That, along with other smaller maritime patrol and ASW aircraft, is a trend that apparently has Boeing worried. It will be interesting to see what platform Boeing chooses to compete in that market.
    Yeah, the CN-235/295MPA variants have been selling like hotcakes lately with Mexico, Algeria, Portugal, and other nations lately.

Quote Originally Posted by twinblade View Post
    India has already ordered 12 P8I and the navy is interested in acquiring upto 24. Saab 2000 is being considered for medium range marine recon aircraft (MRMR tender), IIRC Boeing proposed a version of P8I 'light' for the MRMR tender.
    Personally, I don't get why the Indian military needs two or three different aircraft for the same mission which IMHO is a waste of money along with maintenance issues. The Indian Navy should just focus on P-8I and the Lite variant as their main ASW/AShW missions.

Read more: http://defensetech.org/2012/02/14/is...#ixzz1mdDMnMDZ
    Defense.org

Hi Xav, maybe this explains it:

Boeing to pitch ‘diet’ P-8 to Indian Navy

US defense major Boeing will be pitching a 'diet' version of the P-8 Poseidon aircraft in response to the Request for Information issued by the Indian Navy for Medium Range Maritime Reconnaissance (MRMR) Aircraft, due by the end of the year, next week...

...Company sources told StratPost that even though the derivative proposed for the MRMR RFI will look the same as the P-8I and be based on the 737 platform, it will have smaller tanks and a shorter range and will only have surface warfare capability. The P-8I is capable of both surface as well as sub-surface warfare...
    http://www.stratpost.com/boeing-to-p...to-indian-navy

Actually Sweden/Saab has offered it in the Indian competition and reportedly they are 2nd hand aircrafts. The P8Is replaces Tu 142s in the long range while the MRMR competition is about replacements of the IL 38 MPAs.

It's a concept they're toying around with for export. There's nothing really wrong with the normal P-8, it's actually a very smoothly running program, but they might think that they can snag a few sales for smaller nations that just need basic MPA aircraft.

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Steak-Sauce View Post
    About an hour ago I was browsing Defense News looking for interesting articles, when I saw this headline talking about two new C-130 variants. "No big deal" I told myself, "they're likely talking about the XJ and this redesigned Super Herc. Hardly new.." - but damn, read for yourself..

Article continued @ Defense News

In my opinion, the chances could be very good that Boeing teamed up with Lockheed Martin on the SC-130J. Although it's quite a coincidence on the other hand.. Boeing talking about a scaled-down P-8 and LM unveiling their Sea Herc. Interesting times ahead.
    C-130s are not the cheapest aircraft out there. A C-130J is nearly the same price as the 737-700 that the P-8 is based on. I do not see a big savings in the platform there. However, a C-130-based maritime patrol/ASW could operate from a far wider variety of airfields than a P-8, and there would be obvious logistics advantages for nations already operating fleets of C-130s. The C-295MPA will still likely be significantly cheaper than a Sea Herc.

Quote Originally Posted by S@ncho View Post
    Indeed, makes sense now.
    And then F2000 MRA seems like a good match. Who is competing in this MRMR ? Is Dassault part of it ?