Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti-India campaign gains ground in US

Banned user

Default Anti-India campaign gains ground in US

[LEFT][FONT=Arial]Piggybacking on the anti-Iranian sentiments, an anti-India campaign seems to be gaining ground in the United States.[/FONT][FONT=Arial]This comes amidst escalation in tension between Iran and Israel and the United States slapping additional sanctions on the Iranian regime.[/FONT][FONT=Arial]The anti-India lobby, which was lying low for the past several years in the aftermath of the historic Indo-US civil nuclear deal, is using the opportunity to portray New Delhi as a 'villain' which is providing an escape route to the Iranian regime from international sanctions.[/FONT][FONT=Arial]This week alone, the Indian Ambassador to the US, Nirupama Rao, has received two letters - one from two key lawmakers and other from the powerful Israeli lobby in Washington - against India's relationship with Iran.[/FONT][FONT=Arial]Friends of India at the Capitol Hill and the Obama administration believe that this might gain momentum in the coming days as the anti-India lobby wants to capitalise on the popular anti-Iran sentiments here and vilify the India-Iran oil trade, quite ignorant of the fact that India's purchase of oil from Iran has come down in last few years.
    the anti-India lobby here does not seem to take note of these publicly available figures and instead wants India to cut-off all its oil purchase from Iran; which experts say would plunge India into a deep energy crisis.[/FONT][/LEFT]
    http://www.deccanchronicle.com/chann...-ground-us-113

Banned user

to be honest I have a hard time believing this will gain ground. I know my personal experiences are a small sample size but Indians are perceived very positively in the US

Iran is certainly an issue where both countries do not see eye-to-eye but I find it highly unlikely much will be made of it except maybe a finger wag or two. South Korea also has strong ties to Iran.

I find it ironic that the Israeli lobby would be against India, while Israeli government has selling and working together on number of weapon systems to India.

Banned user

oh and there is a larger issue than iran and both India and US are on the same side of the fence -- china

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by tokengator View Post
    to be honest I have a hard time believing this will gain ground. I know my personal experiences are a small sample size but Indians are perceived very positively in the US

Iran is certainly an issue where both countries do not see eye-to-eye but I find it highly unlikely much will be made of it except maybe a finger wag or two. South Korea also has strong ties to Iran.
    India and US were never friends till 2005.Even today there is a deep mistrust.India being a fiercely independent country which joins no alliances might not go well with US administration.

Besides india's own geopolitical ambitions means india and US might never become true friends.What brings both close is the rise of Chinese threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstorm View Post
    I find it ironic that the Israeli lobby would be against India, while Israeli government has selling and working together on number of weapon systems to India.
    Israeli lobby is pursuing US govt to force india to abandon oil trading with Iran.Because the sanctions will not work untill and unless China and India end their dealings with Iran.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by abhishek-nayak View Post
    India and US were never friends till 2005.Even today there is a deep mistrust.India being a fiercely independent country which joins no alliances might not go well with US administration.

Besides india's own geopolitical ambitions means india and US might never become true friends.What brings both close is the rise of Chinese threat.

there is a difference between not being "friends" (friends being UK, SK, etc) and being 'anti' whomever.

Frankly, I do not see anti-indian sentiment growing legs

So a US lawmaker and an Israeli lobby group write letters asking India to reconsider their relationship with Iran, and now it's considered a campaign against India? Did they pull the author of the article from his normal job of sweeping the floors and ask him to comment on world affairs?

Title of article should have been "Anti-Iran" campaign gains ground lobbying India in US.

Banned user

[*******#000000][FONT=Arial]"A country does not have permanent friends, only permanent interests."[/FONT][/COLOR]

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by mpleio View Post
    [*******#000000][FONT=Arial]"A country does not have permanent friends, only permanent interests."[/FONT][/COLOR]
    indeed...my friend..

[*******#000000][FONT=arial]Any conflict with Tehran would impact India's oil supply. Iran earlier, targetting European countries said that an oil barrel would cost $122 and even go up to $150, this threat could also have a negative impact on India. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[*******#000000][FONT=arial]Every $10 increase would bring down 5 points from India's GDP. An edition of [/FONT][/COLOR]Asia Economics Analyst[*******#000000][FONT=arial] by Goldman Sachs said that a $10 per oil barrel would bring down India's economic growth by 0.2 percent.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    http://news.oneindia.in/2012/02/17/h...ect-india.html

sorry but we have no choice

Banned user

Some of the biggest Anti-India folks here are Sikh-Punjabis.

Anti-India campaign? where?

What and Who are the "Anti-India Lobby" where can I find their offices?

WTF am I doing with my life? Token White Guy's Avatar

I love Indians. Best neurologists in the world. Just don't ask them if they are Pakistani.

2 letters is a Campaign? Sweet Fanny Moses the imagination of some Journalists

Headline is crazy .... any how...

http://intellibriefs.blogspot.com/20...d-on-iran.html
    Mounting Iran-West tensions have implications for India's energy security, transit to Afghanistan, the India-US "strategic relationship", India's ties with the Gulf countries as well as its international role as a rising power.

Iran is India's second largest oil supplier after Saudi Arabia, providing about 12% of its annual requirments worth about $12 billion. India can potentially obtain pipeline gas or LNG from Iran if security and sanctions issues can be overcome. Iran's geographically proximity makes it a logical source of hydrocarbons for energy deficient India which today imports 70% of its needs and will import 90% in the years ahead.
    India is unable to gain access to Afghanistan through Pakistan and Iran, therefore, is a logical alternative. India built the Zaranj-Delaram road segment in Afghanistan to complete a road link between Chabahar port in Iran to Kabul. Iran, unfortunately, has not given sufficient priority to this strategic project. Now, with tightened sanctions, external investments have become more problematic. The Chabahar route has become even more important for India in view of its planned investments in the Hajigak iron ore project in Afghanistan.
    India is against Iran going nuclear. While recognizing its right to peaceful uses of nuclear energy, India has asked Iran to clarify IAEA queries about its nuclear activities. India is mindful of the consequences of Iran going nuclear for the Gulf region where it has vast energy, trade, manpower and remittance interests, but the US should not expect India to share its apocalyptic view of Iran's nuclear ambitions. India, which has itself long suffered US nuclear sanctions, lives with a much more direct threat to its security from Pakistan's nuclear capability developed with Chinese support and US indulgence. Even now Pakistan's conduct in nurturing and supporting jihadi groups against India and Afghanistan under cover of its nuclear capability escapes sanctions. Instead, engaging Pakistan is advocated, but with Iran the approach is coercive.
    A strategic partnership has to be two-way. If India is to take cognizance of US strategic concerns, the US should accommodate India's concerns too. If Pakistan is not a black and white case for the US and its policy towards the former has to take into account its larger regional interests, Iran is not a black and white case for India either and its Iranian policy too has to be adapted to its broader regional interests.
    India is often faulted by foreign and domestic critics for unwillingness to accept global responsibilities that come with an enhanced international status. These jibes are made when India resists siding with the US/West on Iran, Libya, Syria and, until now, on Myanmar. India's rising global role should not require it to give up independence of judgment or always endorse western policies. Assuming responsibilty at the global level should mean supporting or opposing policies in the interest of an equitable functioning of the international system.
    The government has shown political grit in resisting US pressure on Iran. The Finance Minister has expressed India's inability to drastically reduce its oil supplies from Iran. The government has reached an understanding with Iran on making 45% of the oil payments in rupees to be used for goods and project exports from India. This could impart more economic substance to the India-Iran relationship. India is playing its difficult hand as well as it can.
    The writer is a former Foreign Secretary

If the US Foreign Relations Committee is talking about India being a 'sanctions spoiler'......then there may be some people in Washington following the developments pretty close.

The new US ambassador to India candidate was asked about it point blank.

India's actions will be noticed, as they find work arounds to the sanctions. They want to do business. That's good for them.

....but it is noticed