Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: By 2015: China's Military Budget Set to Double (While US Shrinks)

Banned user

Default By 2015: China's Military Budget Set to Double (While US Shrinks)

Many news outlets are reporting from an IHS Janes report that China will expand its military budget by 50% to almost $238 billion dollars a year. Such a figure is not so much when compared to the US however with US military spread all over the world China's spending seems pretty strong. With America cutting its forces in the face of moving out of Iraq and Afghanistan, it seem the US will fact a new threat with less resources...

http://the-diplomat.com/the-editor/2...ed-up-defense/

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

And those aren't even like-for-like numbers. What can you buy for a dollar in the US vs. China? China's budget is WAY more than what the numbers tell you.

Sitting on an unimaginably huge amount of cash, China has no expensive and bleak wars to fight overseas. It doesn't have to maintain military installations all around the world. Its people are smart and hard-working, while their wage and compensation are much less than those of their counterparts in US/West. Yet their military equipments, in case of quality and quantity, are still long way to go, before they can be considered comparable to what US has now. Makes me wonder where all the money went to, or will go to.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by zsmoke View Post
    Sitting on an unimaginably huge amount of cash, China has no expensive and bleak wars to fight overseas. It doesn't have to maintain military installations all around the world. Its people are smart and hard-working, while their wage and compensation are much less than those of their counterparts in US/West. Yet their military equipments, in case of quality and quantity, are still long way to go, before they can be considered comparable to what US has now. Makes me wonder where all the money went to, or will go to.
    I have said this again and I will do so now. We will eventually have to withdraw from the Pac Rim, after China learns to saber rattle less of course. But China will continue to saber rattle until we leave. They believe American presence on their door step is an implicit threat to China. And as long as we're there they view it as our continued disrespect for their power and their might. They see themselves as equals of America and not an inferior power, so our continued presence there is unacceptable.

Dont forget fewer dictators to prop up with billions in free weapons. Plus defending interests of Israel at all costs isnt a corner stone of their foreign policy either.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    And those aren't even like-for-like numbers. What can you buy for a dollar in the US vs. China? China's budget is WAY more than what the numbers tell you.
    You referring to undervalued RMB?

Land of the Left and Rinos. Moonbeams Mess.

Makes me wonder where all the money went to, or will go to.
    In the personal accounts of the high up CCP members.

Compared to 700 bln. US budget itīs still nothing.

Banned user

do not worry as long as usa have n.a.t.o on their side then china will not do anything just talk

Quote Originally Posted by bravosixniner View Post
    You referring to undervalued RMB?
    Not specifically, no. I'm referring to wages all the way up and down the chain being drastically lower in China compared to the US and Europe. That plays a huge difference in how much you get for your money.

Quote Originally Posted by gistrat View Post
    How much does a Chinese engineer make? How much does a US engineer make?

Not to mention that a quarter of the US mil budget is military pay, which the conscript-based PLA just doesn't have to deal with to the same extent. To those 150 billion, add another 120 billion which goes annually to OCO, which PLA just doesn't have.

However, I don't believe that $238 billion figure. Sounds like an unsupported "Yellow Peril" style asspull to me.

Not to mention that a consequent part of military hardware sales and training are performed with other budgets than purely their MoD/DoD

For example through the Ministry of Interior or the Ministry of Emergency situations

Quote Originally Posted by gistrat View Post
    That ... these "worries" about Chinese military expenditure makes the US look something between ridiculous and hypocritical, given the gap in
    a) amount of spending
    b) current capabilities

What do they expect? Want the Chinese to say "we're 30 years behind and want to keep the distance" ???

Doubt the validity of the argument. If the Chinese is good, he needs to be paid well. Otherwise he might just go work in the US, there are numerous examples.

There's no thing as the Chinese high tech engineer working on $2 per day.

Banned user

Chinese high tech engineer working on $2 per day
    $2 per day ≈ RMB 12 per day, RMB 360 per month in today China !? B.S ... !!!
    I pay u RMB 360 right now, let me see how you could live in Chinese city one month just relying on such little money ?

Quote Originally Posted by bravosixniner View Post
    I have said this again and I will do so now. We will eventually have to withdraw from the Pac Rim, after China learns to saber rattle less of course. But China will continue to saber rattle until we leave. They believe American presence on their door step is an implicit threat to China. And as long as we're there they view it as our continued disrespect for their power and their might. They see themselves as equals of America and not an inferior power, so our continued presence there is unacceptable.

Dont forget fewer dictators to prop up with billions in free weapons. Plus defending interests of Israel at all costs isnt a corner stone of their foreign policy either.
    Yes, withdraw from East Pacific, then Japan and SK has no choice but to have Nuke? I don't see that would be any impressive outcome. China is not stupid. It is not ready to, or not willing to take over the responsibility in NW Pacific, let alone the whole world. Do you think China will manage the situation in ME better?