Thread: Afghanistan, today: For Punishment of Elder’s Misdeeds, Afghan Girl Pays the Price

Default Afghanistan, today: For Punishment of Elder’s Misdeeds, Afghan Girl Pays the Price

“Then when a problem doesn’t get resolved,” Ms. Gross said, “you offer the only things you have: livestock is more precious than a girl because the livestock you can sell, so you give two rifles, one camel, five sheep and then the girls they can sell this way.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/wo..._r=1&ref=world

Poor girl. I really wish this kind of tribal bull***** would stop. Female's are human beings, not slaves. Wish there was something more that could be done, but unfortunately it's up to Afghan's to pull themselves out of the dark ages.

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

There at least was good news

Shakila’s case is unusual both because she managed to escape and because she and her family agreed to share their plight with an outsider. The reaction of the girl’s father to the abduction also illustrates the difficulty in trying to change such a deeply rooted cultural practice
    Rural Afghanistan...perhaps as a curse, a land that time forgot...

Quote Originally Posted by IconOfEvi View Post
    There at least was good news

Rural Afghanistan...perhaps as a curse, a land that time forgot...
    Yeah. I really hate to say this cause I respect all cultures, but from an outsider's perspective, Afghanistan really seem's like one of those places that just can't be civilized. So much infighting it's ridiculous. I don't know what it's going to take to unite all the different clan's and tribes under one flag. I hope it happens in my lifetime.

Weapons Expert! I play video games ragnarok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    Yeah. I really hate to say this cause I respect all cultures, but from an outsider's perspective, Afghanistan really seem's like one of those places that just can't be civilized. So much infighting it's ridiculous. I don't know what it's going to take to unite all the different clan's and tribes under one flag. I hope it happens in my lifetime.
    Blame the Taliban for making it what it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    blame the taliban for making it what it is today.
    x2....................

Has mall ninja experience Sashko's Avatar

And the Taliban had teleported from Mars? Or are they a large chunk of Afghani population? Those repulsive tribal customs did not suddenly appear in 1993 either.

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    I dont think anything is impossible gresh, but indeed, its going to take something miraculous to make them change, unite.

Its going to take someone with heart and determination to stay there, to make things change.

I dont think anything is impossible gresh, but indeed, its going to take something miraculous to make them change, unite.

Its going to take someone with heart and determination to stay there, to make things change.

Changes won't happen over night, it will take decades, but I do believe that a change for the god can take place in Afghanistan.

ANZAC Moderator Ngati Tumatauenga's Avatar

How about you quit fecal finger painting via your keyboard?

Another Afghan thread... facepalm.

Afghanistan is stuck in the Dark Ages. You cannot bring a change within few years or even decades by force and impose a totally different population mentality.
    India who most consider a modern society has some practices that are appalling and yet these practices insist despite international efforts. I am mentioning India because it is the closest country with democratic, secular, human rights ..values.
    So how it is possible to change Afghanistan of all countries ?
    The way i see it even in a far drawn scenario where the Taliban are defeated, Afghanistan will still be radically religious, executing "apostates", destroying any evidence of pre Islamic heritage, burning flags whenever somebody "insults" Islam...etc. Their country is a hell on earth but despite that they find the energy and time to focus on important issues like a random guy in Denmark or Florida "insults" Islam. The people doing the protesting , burning and shooting were led by afghan students in Kabul, the new modern 21st century afghan generation.
    That pretty much sums up the mentality of the afghans.

If you believe that...I wont say its to not have ever known the Afghans, but that is incredibly mono-dimensional

They are that, but they are great human beings too.

As for forced change...actually, yes it can work. And its the only thing that HAS worked in that land.

I agree. I just believe it's probably the hardest place in the world to do that sort of thing.

Indeed, that is for sure. Afghan isn't known as the Timeless Land for nothing.

The price is great

But the rewards will be great too, for nations who rise to challenge fate.