Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: Poachers slaughter hundreds of elephants in Cameroon

  1. #16
    Platinum Member Rattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a knife fight with a gypsy...
    Posts
    14,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [RNZE]Sapper View Post
    LOL. I came into this thread thinking. "I bet the Chinese did this." Can't believe it took the second page for them to get mentioned. Oh the Chinese. What would we do with out them? Is there anything you can't blame the Chinese for?
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...012406078.html

    "In China, a deeply rooted cultural emphasis on ivory as a status symbol - coupled with the recent exponential growth of the consuming class - has created a demand for ivory that is the highest in the world."
    http://www.theecologist.org/News/new...se_cities.html

    yup I was way off.

  2. #17
    You buy me drinkie [RNZE]Sapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    yup I was way off.
    Your sarcasm detector is way off mate. No sarcasm intended. I'm agreeing with you. You CAN blame the Chinese for everything. That's the beauty of an acceptable target.

  3. #18
    Platinum Member Rattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a knife fight with a gypsy...
    Posts
    14,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [RNZE]Sapper View Post
    Your sarcasm detector is way off mate. No sarcasm intended. I'm agreeing with you. You CAN blame the Chinese for everything. That's the beauty of an acceptable target.
    My apologies then. It can be hard to tell in print .

  4. #19
    Junior sized package member Toddy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    @ Blue Thor are your mates part of the IAPF in Zim?

    Why are the Chinese allowed to wipe out Tigers, Elephants, Rhino etc etc but yet Pandas remain the property of China no matter where they are in the world. For every animal they kill we should ransom a Panda

    In all seriousness though, you are talking about some (not all) people (poachers) who have virtually nothing and they risk their lives to poach animals. Governments need to do more to provide opportunities for them to change their ways. It's not easy but then again for us with our laptops and comforts of home it is easy to say kill them etc. Education is the key.

    Organised crime poaching is different altogether and should be hunted (pardon the pun) to extinction.

    In saying all of the above I am a strong supporter of the WWF and other groups such as the IAPF and in no way condone killing any animal which is on the extinction path.

  5. #20
    Platinum Member Rattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a knife fight with a gypsy...
    Posts
    14,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy1 View Post
    @ Blue Thor are your mates part of the IAPF in Zim?

    Why are the Chinese allowed to wipe out Tigers, Elephants, Rhino etc etc but yet Pandas remain the property of China no matter where they are in the world. For every animal they kill we should ransom a Panda

    In all seriousness though, you are talking about some (not all) people (poachers) who have virtually nothing and they risk their lives to poach animals. Governments need to do more to provide opportunities for them to change their ways. It's not easy but then again for us with our laptops and comforts of home it is easy to say kill them etc. Education is the key.

    Organised crime poaching is different altogether and should be hunted (pardon the pun) to extinction.

    In saying all of the above I am a strong supporter of the WWF and other groups such as the IAPF and in no way condone killing any animal which is on the extinction path.
    That is true of poachers, drug mules and so many others. As long as there are desperate people in the world who will do anything to feed themselves or their family, any activity that pays will continue.

  6. #21
    Senior Member Migs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,952

    Default

    [reaction post]

  7. #22
    Daddy's little boy RSone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Age
    25
    Posts
    14,038

    Default

    When you hear of, and see scenes where the elephants were rid of its tusks by means of powertools such as chainsaws, the stereotype of 'poor africans' is on shaky ground. Of course, they're undoubtedly there, but there are poachers who've taken it to a entirely different level. It saddens me western governments don't focus more on these issues in distributing development aid to african countries. It seems that, to them, development aid is just to throw money at something and pretending it solves the issue. A targeted approach to improving the local economy and providing instructors for the training of park rangers and local LEOs would go a long way, methinks.

  8. #23
    Platinum Member Rattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a knife fight with a gypsy...
    Posts
    14,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RSone View Post
    When you hear of, and see scenes where the elephants were rid of its tusks by means of powertools such as chainsaws, the stereotype of 'poor africans' is on shaky ground. Of course, they're undoubtedly there, but there are poachers who've taken it to a entirely different level. It saddens me western governments don't focus more on these issues in distributing development aid to african countries. It seems that, to them, development aid is just to throw money at something and pretending it solves the issue. A targeted approach to improving the local economy and providing instructors for the training of park rangers and local LEOs would go a long way, methinks.
    Park ranger officer exchange program?

  9. #24
    Daddy's little boy RSone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Age
    25
    Posts
    14,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    Park ranger officer exchange program?
    Could be an option, but considering that park rangers in wildlife preserves the size we're talking about are often a paramilitary affair, military instructors should be considered. LEOs for the local police in villages and cities on the outskirts of the preserves could improve local policing quite a bit, depending on the prior level of quality.
    It may sound too involved, but i'm starting to hate the approach many western countries take. It's inefficient and wasteful of the taxpayer's money. My own country (the Netherlands) being a good example of development aid in its current form as the proverbial sacred cow.

    Slowly and systematically improving standards of living in Africa is a good way of preventing and counteracting a lot of the bull**** that seems to periodically erupt there. The Chinese are rapidly gaining influence in the region, throwing money at the local big heads in exchange for resources, already creating animosity among those negatively affected by these practices. If the west wants to retain a semblance of influence and diplomatic say in the goings on of Africa, we'll need to get involved in a good way. The world can not afford the central and sub-saharan nations evolving in the way they've been headed these last few decades. It's bad in both the ecological and geopolitical sense.

  10. #25
    Milo Drinker of Death Flagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The (South)Island of Misfit Toys
    Posts
    14,995

    Default

    A former SBS officer with extensive experience living/working in africa set up a counter poaching program a few years back in Congo.

    There was a doco on it.

    I hunted in Africa once and would love to go back someday.

    The idea of going on counter poaching patrols armed has a certain appeal.

  11. #26
    Platinum Member Rattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a knife fight with a gypsy...
    Posts
    14,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    A former SBS officer with extensive experience living/working in africa set up a counter poaching program a few years back in Congo.

    There was a doco on it.

    I hunted in Africa once and would love to go back someday.

    The idea of going on counter poaching patrols armed has a certain appeal.
    What is a Doco?

  12. #27
    Junior sized package member Toddy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    A former SBS officer with extensive experience living/working in africa set up a counter poaching program a few years back in Congo.

    There was a doco on it.

    I hunted in Africa once and would love to go back someday.

    The idea of going on counter poaching patrols armed has a certain appeal.
    Check out these guys Flagg, run by ex Clearance Diver and special operations within ADF http://www.iapf.org/en/

  13. #28
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Enjoying old women and young wine
    Posts
    572

    Default

    ^
    What a great group.

  14. #29
    Senior Member EdisonTrent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    What is a Doco?
    A documentary.

  15. #30
    Platinum Member Rattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a knife fight with a gypsy...
    Posts
    14,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdisonTrent View Post
    A documentary.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •