Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: North Korean warns will shelling Islands monday morning if exercise goes ahead!

Post North Korean warns will shelling Islands monday morning if exercise goes ahead!

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...183936/1/.html

North Korea's military warned Sunday it would bombard islands near its disputed Yellow Sea border with the South if an upcoming naval firing drill by Seoul violates its territorial waters.

The North's Western Sector Command warned residents of five islands to "evacuate to safe areas" before what it said was the scheduled start time of the exercise on Monday morning.

In a notice carried by Pyongyang's official news agency, the military said Seoul's government "should not forget the lesson" of the North's bombardment of Yeonpyeong island in November 2010, which killed four South Koreans.

The North frequently warns the South against conducting live-fire exercises near the sea border, but there have been no incidents since then.

A spokesman for the South's Joint Chiefs of Staff said he was checking whether any such firing drill was scheduled for Monday.

And now the North Korean army advises S. Koreans on 5 islands to evacuate before 0900 KST Monday.

They put the South in yet another rock and hard place position, if they bow to pressure and cancel or alter the drills then little kimmy and co will believe they have a stronger influence over the South and may get some confidence and continue actions such as this, but if the South does go ahead with the drills, and the North does at stated and shells the islands there will be criticism from both within South Korea and surrounds saying, "well, they were warned" and other such stupid statements. I honestly have no idea which way to go on this one, perhaps evacuate the islands, and run the drills anyway, offering the Souths naval assets carrying out the bombardment as the only plausible target, which, if hit, will escalate the situation further. Damn they're good at this game.

Born in Albania, Raised in Macedonia(Thess),Living in The Netherlands.

At some point the south has to flex its muscle. This cannot continue for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Bundy View Post
    At some point the south has to flex its muscle. This cannot continue for ever.
    What would you prefer? Occasional threats and flexes from the North for propaganda purposes for internal consumption or a war?

Quote Originally Posted by Berwickk View Post
    What would you prefer? Occasional threats and flexes from the North for propaganda purposes for internal consumption or a war?

No. The cost for a war is too destructive.

But I strongly agree, one day we have to flex our muscles also on them. There is no point buying/developing state of the art weapons and building up our military superiority with them picking on us all the time.

Born in Albania, Raised in Macedonia(Thess),Living in The Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Berwickk View Post

The sinking of a South Korean navy ship and bombardment of its islands, pass now as just "occasional threats".

Better to escalate things, get both sides exchanging fire and then who knows what will come of it?!

North Korea is playing its propraganda game off course and with a new leader they want to show theyre still in business, but why the heck South Korea is gonna go and enter in its game? Do the drills, get selling and on the end i think that getting shelled and not giving any response is worst than backing down from military exercices.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Bundy View Post
    The sinking of a South Korean navy ship and bombardment of its islands, pass now as just "occasional threats".
    Sure isn't a war. Like it or not but if they were to escalate, one South Korean naval ship is going to seem like a small thing to start a war over after the war is over.

Although, the North Korean's are our brothers. It's unacceptable their military and politicians are 'bullying' and threatening us and yet our government takes little or no action.

We need to use our god damn military might on any threats particularly on the North if they attack us like in the past few years, why do hell do we have f-15k/f-16 fighters and aegis destroyers, also other advanced weapons, when we aren't going to use them our enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by krnofdrg69 View Post
    Although, the North Korean's are our brothers. It's unacceptable their military and politicians are 'bullying' and threatening us and yet our government takes little or no action.

We need to use our god damn military might on any threats particularly on the North if they attack us like in the past few years, why do hell do we have f-15k/f-16 fighters and aegis destroyers, also other advanced weapons, when we aren't going to use them our enemy.
    Well, SK did say it would respond with force if attacked again. I remember reading this after NK shelled those islands, found it in a quick Google search.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world...-north-attacks

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    Well, SK did say it would respond with force if attacked again. I remember reading this after NK shelled those islands, found it in a quick Google search.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world...-north-attacks
    The Lee Myung Bak government has really disappointed me, relations have exacerbated in recent years. I'm not sure if they would respond, but they should after that many attacks we have had.

We shall wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by krnofdrg69 View Post
    The Lee Myung Bak government has really disappointed me, relations have exacerbated in recent years. I'm not sure if they would respond, but they should after that many attacks we have had.

We shall wait and see.
    You have to consider the disastrous consequences if they do hit them back. Doesn't NK have artillery pointed at Seoul? Not to mention the nukes. I can see why the SK govt. would hesitate. But unfortunately if SK does nothing NK will sense weakness. With that said, after the countless threats and the sucker punches like the shelling of those islands, the NK govt. is not suicidal since a full blown war would be the end of their regime, and they can't have that can they? So I doubt they'll shell the south again. Unless they think SK is full of ***** and won't respond.

South Korea cant keep going that path, letting the Norks get away with it every single time they need to make a PR stunt, only encourages them to play harder the next time. If you dont stop them on their tracks at least once, they will keep coming everytime it suits them.

Nukes are gonna talk...

Evacuate and do the [*******#333333]exercises and if they attack be only retaliatory and take out every NK asset that attacks and only those. Bombard their artillery if they shell. Shoot down planes crossing the border and ships that pass the NLL. Eventually there will be a stop before escalation where NK decides what to do and I bet some asset will be too aggressive during that time and we kill it immediately. Should show NK that....NO stop it we are going to kill every one that attacks get back in your holes. [/COLOR]