Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: North Korean warns will shelling Islands monday morning if exercise goes ahead!

If there is not big northern brother behind NK, there will be no shelling. Otherwise, it is time that West starts thinking-but seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by krnofdrg69 View Post
    The Lee Myung Bak government has really disappointed me, relations have exacerbated in recent years. I'm not sure if they would respond, but they should after that many attacks we have had.

We shall wait and see.
    Could you or one of the other Korean posters here expand for us some the general feelings of the Korean population towards retaliation if there is another attack? I'd love to know if the majority of South Korea feels that the occasional attack is a price that they are willing to/have to pay to keep the peace until the eventual collapse of the North Korean govt, or is it rather a case of the public being pretty well fed up with the attacks of the past few years?

I seem to remember that the last time retaliation was being discussed, some were of the opinion that a limited, but disproportionate to North Korean action retaliation wouldn't necessarily lead to a full on conflict. That's a big risk to take, especially for Koreans who have so much to lose, but I wonder if there might be support for it.

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    You have to consider the disastrous consequences if they do hit them back. Doesn't NK have artillery pointed at Seoul? Not to mention the nukes. I can see why the SK govt. would hesitate. But unfortunately if SK does nothing NK will sense weakness. With that said, after the countless threats and the sucker punches like the shelling of those islands, the NK govt. is not suicidal since a full blown war would be the end of their regime, and they can't have that can they? So I doubt they'll shell the south again. Unless they think SK is full of ***** and won't respond.
    Thousands of artillery is pointed at Seoul. North Korea has one of the largest artillery forces in the world, most of them are within range of Seoul and hidden in caves and other areas. Which is why our military is enormously worried from a North Korean attack. Also, within one hour, estimated by generals from the ROK AND US, they say casualties can be stretch from 500,000~1,000,000. Considering Seoul is one of the most heavily densely populated cities in the world (nearly 20,000,000 in the region) it would be deadly. Using nukes on the Korean peninsula is also self destruction, highly unlikely also in my opinion. I'm not even sure if the North Koreans have developed a nuclear device, since the regime is full of lies.

But the reality is, would the North Koreans attack as you said a major city such as Seoul. It is highly unlikely. That's the start of another Korean War if that occurs. As you mentioned, it would have huge political ramifications. Meaning a military attack into North Korea and yes the end of their regime. South Korea is able to sustain a longer term war, as we are more abundant in supplies (food and fuel) and also our military nation has alot of support globally. The most the North Koreans could do is peripheral and covert attacks to threaten us. (Yeongpyeong and Cheonan)

But if any attack occurs on our territory or military again, the politicians have promised military action. I've seen a mix amount of emotions, some sympathetic for the corrupt regime of Kim and some building hatred towards it. But Yeongpyeong and Cheonan caused alot of controversy and we were very angry on our government's reaction towards it.

My information is not entirely correct, a more experienced member such as Ambassador may elaborate more on these discussions.

Thousands of artillery is pointed at Seoul. North Korea has one of the largest artillery forces in the world, most of them are within range of Seoul and hidden in caves and other areas. Which is why our military is enormously worried from a North Korean attack. Also, within one hour, estimated by generals from the ROK AND US, they say casualties can be stretch from 500,000~1,000,000. Considering Seoul is one of the most heavily densely populated cities in the world (nearly 20,000,000 in the region) it would be deadly. Using nukes on the Korean peninsula is also self destruction, highly unlikely also in my opinion. I'm not even sure if the North Koreans have developed a nuclear device, since the regime is full of lies.

But the reality is, would the North Koreans attack as you said a major city such as Seoul. It is highly unlikely. That's the start of another Korean War if that occurs. As you mentioned, it would have huge political ramifications. Meaning a military attack into North Korea and yes the end of their regime. South Korea is able to sustain a longer term war, as we are more abundant in supplies (food and fuel) and also our military nation has alot of support globally. The most the North Koreans could do is peripheral and covert attacks to threaten us. (Yeongpyeong and Cheonan)

But if any attack occurs on our territory or military again, the politicians have promised military action. I've seen a mix amount of emotions, some sympathetic for the corrupt regime of Kim and some building hatred towards it. But Yeongpyeong and Cheonan caused alot of controversy and we were very angry on our government's reaction towards it.

My information is not entirely correct, a more experienced member such as Ambassador may elaborate more on these discussions.
    Very big misconception the "NK with destroy Seoul in hours"
    http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...trikes!-(2009)

The real threat are ballistic missiles with Chemical and Biological warheads.

North Korea really has no reliable Nuclear delivery systems.

And I think that yes NK knows that we will win in a conventional war. Their minds might be warped but not so much that they can kid themselves that they have a chance.

Personally I feel everyone hates the Kims but are sympathetic to the North Korean people. Everyone has a different opinion that ranges from do a Israel(Far Right) to it is our own fault that they attacked(Far Left).

Quote Originally Posted by HKDan View Post
    Could you or one of the other Korean posters here expand for us some the general feelings of the Korean population towards retaliation if there is another attack? I'd love to know if the majority of South Korea feels that the occasional attack is a price that they are willing to/have to pay to keep the peace until the eventual collapse of the North Korean govt, or is it rather a case of the public being pretty well fed up with the attacks of the past few years?

I seem to remember that the last time retaliation was being discussed, some were of the opinion that a limited, but disproportionate to North Korean action retaliation wouldn't necessarily lead to a full on conflict. That's a big risk to take, especially for Koreans who have so much to lose, but I wonder if there might be support for it.
    There is a mixed amount of reactions in the Korean population. North Korean threats have occurred alot in the past decades, so people have become familiar to them. So most people tend to ignore it.

We as Koreans oppose war, the Korean War is self explanatory.

A lot of people don't want a war, as I could think of mainly due to economic reasons. Korea has made tremendous progress in the last 60 years after the war, we came so far through hard work and suffering, people don't want to see it collapse again. I could think of the younger generation also opposing it, as they would be the ones who need to work hard and build the country again. Many people don't think it's worth it after a few minor attacks to trigger a major full out war, which i agree to some extent but however we should never let the North Koreans off so easily. My anger boils when the 2MB government does a poor job in responding and why the military has so many defects in dealing with these issues.

I remember alot of people were angry and it was a huge topic in 2010 when both the events occured. Most people felt tremendously angry that the North Koreans attacked us (especially when the footage of yeongpyeong shelling came out) and also on our government's poor action towards it. I remember my parents were calling up all relatives and friends in korea to see what was happening. Also every media outlet was playing the footage/discussing the news as it was a potential start of a war. So the population was very worried and scared. Also everyone was talking about it everywhere.

I'd say war is a no for the majority of the population, in my eyes there is no North and South. We are all Koreans in nature and killing ourselves over politics is a disappointing.

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

Pay no heed to the man behind the curtain...

Quote Originally Posted by EdisonTrent View Post

And I think that yes NK knows that we will win in a conventional war. Their minds might be warped but not so much that they can kid themselves that they have a chance.

Personally I feel everyone hates the Kims but are sympathetic to the North Korean people. Everyone has a different opinion that ranges from do a Israel(Far Right) to it is our own fault that they attacked(Far Left).
    I'm pretty sure there would be 100,000's of casualties though. They wouldn't destroy Seoul entirely, but damage would be enormous. However that is always North Korean propaganda, but casualties would be high.

We love the North Koreans, they are the same blood of us. I pray for a unified Korea, I hope I can see it before my death. I dislike Kim to my guts (also his politicians) but I am not happy with our politicians also in dealing with the job.

I am just angry why we are building such a powerful military when we can't even respond to little attacks. I advocate for peace, but attacking our civilians and territory should never be forgiven so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by EdisonTrent View Post

I will also read that thread you linked for me, thank you.

Great posts krnofdrg69, I agree with you. I also appreciate how you don't see NK as enemies but rather your own people being held back by politics. I too hope for Korea to be one some day and no longer divided, it would be even stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    Great posts krnofdrg69, I agree with you. I also appreciate how you don't see NK as enemies but rather your own people being held back by politics. I too hope for Korea to be one some day and no longer divided, it would be even stronger.
    No problem . Also there is a really interesting Korean drama which airs these days, it focuses on the issues of reunification. It's called 한반도 or 'Korean Peninsula'. I suggest watching it .

I am anticipating that moment when the DMZ no longer exists and our people are peacefully reunited . But why do things get worser and worser as time passes .

Banned user

They bluff, probably the SK Navy would never cross the disputed border.
    And NK can say that they prevented this.

No problem . Also there is a really interesting Korean drama which airs these days, it focuses on the issues of reunification. It's called 한반도 or 'Korean Peninsula'. I suggest watching it .

I am anticipating that moment when the DMZ no longer exists and our people are peacefully reunited . But why do things get worser and worser as time passes .
    Cool, I'll check it out.

Yeah same here man. Keep your head up.

One thing to note the North Korean Unit commander that carried out the shelling of the island was recently promoted to level of general as indicative uniform and rank he was seen wearing in picture from recent state funeral picture released by North Korea, it was also found he had been promoted to general staff. So Kim Jung Un has promoted a man that has shown his willingness to carry out orders to attack when given to higher military rank so he is now in place to help manage further attacks on the South.

Yes, I'm a chick BearInBunnySuit's Avatar

May I remind everyone that this is North Korea. Their modus operandi is sneak attacks.

As for them being ROK's "brethren," perhaps genetically but their behavior has not been very brotherly. Don't forget the hundreds of ROK citizens they've kidnapped and the hundreds that they have killed since the armistice. Brothers? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by BearInBunnySuit View Post
    May I remind everyone that this is North Korea. Their modus operandi is sneak attacks.

As for them being ROK's "brethren," perhaps genetically but their behavior has not been very brotherly. Don't forget the hundreds of ROK citizens they've kidnapped and the hundreds that they have killed since the armistice. Brothers? I don't think so.
    We cannot blame the general population of North Korea. The politicians and the leaders are who we should blame, they're the ones who create these issues, propaganda and brainwashing.

Also, we South Koreans aren't so innocent too, just saying.